FireFox Misbehaving?

Jeff Bowman

....or is my markup incorrect?

I'm having trouble getting FF to 'push' the Bottom Left layer down to the
next row where it's supposed to be. IE7 displays it as intended:

www.shrubsters.com

Is this a case of bad markup and IE making apologies for me, or rather good
markup and an FF bug?

In any case, is there a way to get it to display correctly in FF?

Thanks.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jeff said:
...or is my markup incorrect?

I'm having trouble getting FF to 'push' the Bottom Left layer down to the
next row where it's supposed to be. IE7 displays it as intended:

www.shrubsters.com

Is this a case of bad markup and IE making apologies for me, or rather good
markup and an FF bug?

body {
font-size:.7em; <---- change this

Please read this:
http://tekrider.net/html/fontsize.php
and
http://tekrider.net/pages/faq.php?q=trans

and this probably is not what you want, or expected me to see:
http://tekrider.net/usenet/shrubster.jpg

Jeff Bowman

Hooray that was it! :)

So it looks like it was a case of bad markup and IE making excuses for me
;-)

You good folks maintain such a wonderful resource here. I only wish I were
able to contribute, but markup just isn't my specialty--I have trouble with
even the simple items, as you can see. I've learned a lot by lurking.

So, I pop my head in two or three times a year when I get stuck on
something. I really appreciate the wealth of expertise I find, and the
willingness to help.

Thanks, Gus.

Jeff Bowman

Ed said:
All looks the same to me whether I'm using Firefox 2, Opera 9, K-Meleon
1.1.5 or IE 6.

Did you solve the problem then?

Ed

Hm, that's strange--it sure was out of whack in -my- FF browser at least. At
any rate, Gus' clear:left solution is what did the trick.

I guess after all these years I've still got a bit to learn about all this
:)

Thanks for having a look!

dorayme

Gus Richter said:
Not so strange.
It shows up on a larger window size only.
I'm not willing to check with those numerous stylesheets of yours, but
most certainly there is a fixed width interfering.

OP should remove all the author styles completely and see the page leap
in usability. It is badly broken and there is no *one* thing that can be
done.

First thing to do is use a 4.01 Strict and remove all inline styles and
classes and errors in the html. When that is done and url provided,
along with a truly meaningful picture (in words or in Photoshop!), we
might be able to start cooking with gas.

Jeff Bowman

OP should remove all the author styles completely and see the page leap
in usability. It is badly broken and there is no *one* thing that can be
done.

I'm -very- interested in doing so. My next deliverable on the project,
however--some internal ASP.NET programming--is looming, and I must give my
immediate attention to that. Even though as you say the markup needs repair,
at least at the moment it displays correctly.

If you don't mind looking at my changes and suggesting corrections to my
errors in about another week or so, I'd like very much to listen to what you
might have to say regarding this design.

I'm interested in excellence only--if my own pride has to take a back seat,
that's fine and dandy with me.

Thanks!

dorayme

"Jeff Bowman said:
I'm -very- interested in doing so. My next deliverable on the project,
however--some internal ASP.NET programming--is looming, and I must give my
immediate attention to that. Even though as you say the markup needs repair,
at least at the moment it displays correctly.

But it does not. To see this, just narrow the browser window.

If you don't mind looking at my changes and suggesting corrections to my
errors in about another week or so, I'd like very much to listen to what you
might have to say regarding this design.

The implied offer in my words

"First thing to do is use a 4.01 Strict and remove all inline styles and
classes and errors in the html. When that is done and url provided,
along with a truly meaningful picture (in words or in Photoshop!), we
might be able to start cooking with gas."

still stands.

Jeff Bowman

But it does not. To see this, just narrow the browser window.

Ah. I see that now.

The implied offer in my words

"First thing to do is use a 4.01 Strict and remove all inline styles and
classes and errors in the html. When that is done and url provided,
along with a truly meaningful picture (in words or in Photoshop!), we
might be able to start cooking with gas."

still stands.

Thanks! I'll be back as soon as I can.