Firefox--More Web Design Extensions

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Roy Schestowitz, Aug 28, 2005.

  1. __/ On Monday 29 August 2005 01:22, ["WD10" <.>] wrote : \__

    > I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.

    Good! It will make a good point to refer people to, especially these who
    still design and test using IE. I'll blog about it shortly.

    > I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    > Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
    > HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when
    > I have more time...

    I didn't know about two of them.

    I recommend subscribing to:

    https://addons.update.mozilla.org/rss/?application=firefox&type=E&list=newest

    > http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
    >
    > Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
    > Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
    > extensions?

    Live HTTP Headers < http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ >? Or is that at the
    verge of site administration? Web programmers might find it valuable.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
    http://Schestowitz.com

    WD10, Aug 29, 2005

  3. WD10 wrote :
    > I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
    >
    > I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    > Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning HTML.
    > I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when I have
    > more time...
    >
    > http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
    >
    > Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
    > Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
    > extensions?

    HTML Tidy Firefox Extension is very useful, I'd say; I've been using it
    since version 0.5.
    MeasureIt and Colorzilla are not useful: they duplicate what DOM
    inspector already does. So I'd say using DOM inspector is much much more
    useful than this sort of extensions.

    View Rendered Source is interesting for intermediary and advanced users:
    they show a graphical representation of the DOM containment hierarchy.

    View Formatted Source is not very useful.

    Do you know if/when links toolbar extension will be available for
    Firefox 1.5 (Deer Park)?

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Aug 29, 2005
  4. Roy Schestowitz

    WD10 Guest

    "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    > __/ On Monday 29 August 2005 01:22, ["WD10" <.>] wrote : \__
    >
    >> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.

    > Good! It will make a good point to refer people to, especially these who
    > still design and test using IE. I'll blog about it shortly.
    >

    >> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    >> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
    >> HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when
    >> I have more time...

    > I didn't know about two of them.
    >
    > I recommend subscribing to:
    >
    > https://addons.update.mozilla.org/rss/?application=firefox&type=E&list=newest

    Thanks for that tip... I also added the page for those feeds to my "Firefox
    & RSS" page (http://tips.webdesign10.com/firefox-rss.htm).

    >> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
    >>
    >> Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
    >> Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
    >> extensions?

    > Live HTTP Headers < http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ >? Or is that at
    > the
    > verge of site administration? Web programmers might find it valuable.

    Good idea.... I added that one to my page. I just installed 30 new
    extensions recently for experimentation... I just tried that one and it's
    good. I also added a couple more that I forgot the first time around :)
    WD10, Aug 29, 2005
  5. Re: Firefox Design Extensions

    __/ On Monday 29 August 2005 03:00, ["WD10" <.>] wrote : \__

    > "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    >> __/ On Monday 29 August 2005 01:22, ["WD10" <.>] wrote : \__
    >>
    >>> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.

    >> Good! It will make a good point to refer people to, especially these who
    >> still design and test using IE. I'll blog about it shortly.
    >>

    >>> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    >>> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
    >>> HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design
    >>> when I have more time...

    >> I didn't know about two of them.
    >>
    >> I recommend subscribing to:

    https://addons.update.mozilla.org/rss/?application=firefox&type=E&list=newest

    > Thanks for that tip... I also added the page for those feeds to my
    > "Firefox & RSS" page (http://tips.webdesign10.com/firefox-rss.htm).
    >
    >>> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
    >>>
    >>> Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
    >>> Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
    >>> extensions?

    >> Live HTTP Headers < http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ >? Or is that at
    >> the
    >> verge of site administration? Web programmers might find it valuable.

    > Good idea.... I added that one to my page. I just installed 30 new
    > extensions recently for experimentation... I just tried that one and it's
    > good. I also added a couple more that I forgot the first time around :)

    Glad to hear it was useful! Will link to your site later this
    morning/night...

    Roy
    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 29, 2005
  6. Roy Schestowitz

    WD10 Guest

    "Gérard Talbot" <> wrote in message
    > WD10 wrote :
    >> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
    >>
    >> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    >> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
    >> HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when
    >> I have more time...
    >>
    >> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
    >>
    >> Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
    >> Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
    >> extensions?

    > HTML Tidy Firefox Extension is very useful, I'd say; I've been using it
    > since version 0.5.
    > MeasureIt and Colorzilla are not useful: they duplicate what DOM inspector
    > already does. So I'd say using DOM inspector is much much more useful than
    > this sort of extensions.

    The DOM Inspector is great, but don't you think it is a little more work to
    open it up and click through it than to just use the icons on the status
    bar? Also, is there really a way to use the DOM Inspector to do exactly
    what MeasureIt or Colorzilla do? (for example, hover over a graphic to get
    the color value, or measuring an area in pixels by using a marquee tool on
    the screen?) I don't know how to do that with the DOMi (but would like to
    learn). Are you refering to the mouseover DOM inspector bookmarklet from
    SlayerOffice?

    > View Rendered Source is interesting for intermediary and advanced users:
    > they show a graphical representation of the DOM containment hierarchy.
    >
    > View Formatted Source is not very useful.

    I think you're probably right... :S
    Maybe I will replace that with some links to info about the DOM Inspector.

    > Do you know if/when links toolbar extension will be available for Firefox
    > 1.5 (Deer Park)?

    I've never used it -- I'm not sure.
    WD10, Aug 29, 2005
  7. WD10 wrote :
    > "Gérard Talbot" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>WD10 wrote :
    >>
    >>>I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
    >>>
    >>>I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    >>>Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
    >>>HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when
    >>>I have more time...
    >>>
    >>>http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
    >>>
    >>>Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
    >>>Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
    >>>extensions?

    >>HTML Tidy Firefox Extension is very useful, I'd say; I've been using it
    >>since version 0.5.
    >>MeasureIt and Colorzilla are not useful: they duplicate what DOM inspector
    >>already does. So I'd say using DOM inspector is much much more useful than
    >>this sort of extensions.

    > The DOM Inspector is great, but don't you think it is a little more work to
    > open it up and click through it than to just use the icons on the status
    > bar? Also, is there really a way to use the DOM Inspector to do exactly
    > what MeasureIt or Colorzilla do? (for example, hover over a graphic to get
    > the color value, or measuring an area in pixels by using a marquee tool on
    > the screen?) I don't know how to do that with the DOMi (but would like to
    > learn).

    For an element's measurement:
    Choose DOM Nodes in the left panel and then Object Computed Style in the
    rigth panel and then look for width, height; this is more useful, more
    reliable than Object Box model/dimensions since you get to know which
    -moz-box-sizing is in use.
    Also, Object Javascript object will report other useful values:

    / Top
    / client / Left
    elementReference. / offset / Width
    \ scroll \ Height

    For colorzilla:
    Choose DOM Nodes in the left panel, then Object Computed Style in the
    right panel and then color and background-color. If colorzilla is able
    to discriminate colors inside an image (and I doubt it can do that),
    then this specific feature is not in DOM inspector.

    Are you refering to the mouseover DOM inspector bookmarklet from
    > SlayerOffice?

    No, I was not.

    >>View Rendered Source is interesting for intermediary and advanced users:
    >>they show a graphical representation of the DOM containment hierarchy.
    >>
    >>View Formatted Source is not very useful.

    > I think you're probably right... :S
    > Maybe I will replace that with some links to info about the DOM Inspector.
    >

    >>Do you know if/when links toolbar extension will be available for Firefox
    >>1.5 (Deer Park)?

    > I've never used it -- I'm not sure.

    See in the status bar of this image:
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/images/2/24/FirefoxChromeToolbarsDescription7a.gif

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Aug 29, 2005
  8. WD10 wrote:

    > I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
    >
    > I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    > Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning HTML.
    > I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when I have
    > more time...
    >
    > http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm

    Both now linked (Webmaster section):

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_internet.html

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 29, 2005
  9. Re: Web Design Extensions Links

    __/ [Blinky the Shark] on Monday 29 August 2005 05:14 \__

    > WD10 wrote:
    >
    >> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
    >>
    >> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    >> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
    >> HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when
    >> I have more time...
    >>
    >> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm

    > Both now linked (Webmaster section):
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_internet.html

    Ditto.

    http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/29/firefox-design/

    To say a little more, the Web Developer Extension does not only complement
    existing tools, but I think it replaces a few commercial equivalents. I
    always enjoy seeing this trend, whereby every functionality moves to the
    browser. With the Horde project I can now /efficiently/ handle multiple
    E-mail accounts in the browser, edit files in the browser (server-side),
    have FTP in a tab if necessary and even debug designs in the browser.
    What's next? Newsgroups reader (proper one, no GG)? Hmmm... what if some
    AJAX was involved? That might make a good start-up.

    Roy
    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 29, 2005
  10. Roy Schestowitz

    > WD10 wrote :
    >> "Gérard Talbot" <> wrote in message

    http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
    >> The DOM Inspector is great, but don't you think it is a little more work
    >> to open it up and click through it than to just use the icons on the
    >> status bar? Also, is there really a way to use the DOM Inspector to do
    >> exactly what MeasureIt or Colorzilla do? (for example, hover over a
    >> graphic to get the color value, or measuring an area in pixels by using a
    >> marquee tool on the screen?) I don't know how to do that with the DOMi
    >> (but would like to learn).

    > For an element's measurement:
    > Choose DOM Nodes in the left panel and then Object Computed Style in the
    > rigth panel and then look for width, height; this is more useful, more
    > reliable than Object Box model/dimensions since you get to know
    > which -moz-box-sizing is in use.
    > Also, Object Javascript object will report other useful values:
    >
    > / Top
    > / client / Left
    > elementReference. / offset / Width
    > \ scroll \ Height
    >
    > For colorzilla:
    > Choose DOM Nodes in the left panel, then Object Computed Style in the
    > right panel and then color and background-color. If colorzilla is able to
    > discriminate colors inside an image (and I doubt it can do that), then
    > this specific feature is not in DOM inspector.

    Thanks for those tips. I'm going to add some DOM Inspector information to
    my site when I have time. I think the MeasureIt extension is a little
    different from what the DOMi does. I haven't had a use for MeasureIt yet,
    but I can see where it could be useful. For example, measuring a part of a
    page to see how many pixels you want a future image to be.

    Colorzilla can discriminate colors inside an image. It's useful when inside
    Firefox, but a free program called Pixie is better overall because it's not
    limited to Firefox (for example if you want to match the color in an image
    that is open in another program). It's just slower to start Pixie than to
    click the status bar in Firefox, and I think Pixie only runs on Windows.

    >>>View Rendered Source is interesting for intermediary and advanced users:
    >>>they show a graphical representation of the DOM containment hierarchy.
    >>>
    >>>View Formatted Source is not very useful.

    >> I think you're probably right... :S
    >> Maybe I will replace that with some links to info about the DOM
    >> Inspector.
    >>

    >>>Do you know if/when links toolbar extension will be available for Firefox
    >>>1.5 (Deer Park)?

    >> I've never used it -- I'm not sure.

    > See in the status bar of this image:
    > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/images/2/24/FirefoxChromeToolbarsDescription7a.gif

    That looks like a great extension.
    WD10, Aug 29, 2005
  11. Roy Schestowitz

    WD10 Guest

    > To say a little more, the Web Developer Extension does not only complement
    > existing tools, but I think it replaces a few commercial equivalents. I
    > always enjoy seeing this trend, whereby every functionality moves to the
    > browser. With the Horde project I can now /efficiently/ handle multiple
    > E-mail accounts in the browser, edit files in the browser (server-side),
    > have FTP in a tab if necessary and even debug designs in the browser.
    > What's next? Newsgroups reader (proper one, no GG)? Hmmm... what if some
    > AJAX was involved? That might make a good start-up.

    I just downloaded Horde but it's going to take a while to figure out. It
    looks great though...

    I have some ideas about what the perfect browser should be (in addition to
    the web development tools--BTW, have you seen the codetch extension?
    http://www.codetch.com/. This is going to be one of the best extensions).

    There is a great program called Net Snippets Professional
    (www.netsnippets.com). It only runs on Windows, but if they could integrate
    those kinds of features into Firefox it would be great. A browser shouldn't
    just be about viewing web pages. It should also allow saving and organizing
    the Web content -- automatically generating bibliographies and reports.
    I've only used the trial version of Net Snippets becuase it costs $130. If
    a browser is supposed to be the tool to interact with the Web, why not make
    it more functional? There is a Firefox extension called Scrapbook, which is
    a good start, but it should go beyond that. Saving web pages to random
    folders with CTRL-S is too primitive... :S
    WD10, Aug 29, 2005
  12. Re: Web Based Tools

    __/ ["WD10" <.>] on Monday 29 August 2005 08:03 \__

    > "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> To say a little more, the Web Developer Extension does not only
    >> complement existing tools, but I think it replaces a few commercial
    >> equivalents. I always enjoy seeing this trend, whereby every
    >> functionality moves to the browser. With the Horde project I can now
    >> /efficiently/ handle multiple E-mail accounts in the browser, edit files
    >> in the browser (server-side), have FTP in a tab if necessary and even
    >> debug designs in the browser. What's next? Newsgroups reader (proper one,
    >> no GG)? Hmmm... what if some AJAX was involved? That might make a good
    >> start-up.

    > I just downloaded Horde but it's going to take a while to figure out. It
    > looks great though...

    Here are some old screenshot that I have lying around:

    http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/horde.jpg

    Here is the nice initiative at getting an AJAX-enabled feed reader:

    http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/500.jpg

    > I have some ideas about what the perfect browser should be (in addition to
    > the web development tools--BTW, have you seen the codetch extension?
    > http://www.codetch.com/. This is going to be one of the best extensions).

    It looks very promising. I will wait until I get a nod from someone who uses
    it.

    > There is a great program called Net Snippets Professional
    > (www.netsnippets.com). It only runs on Windows, but if they could
    > integrate
    > those kinds of features into Firefox it would be great. A browser
    > shouldn't
    > just be about viewing web pages.

    Well, intially it was. Things evolve. What about on-line operating systems?
    They retain the same name, but they turn into a new 'monster' over time.

    > It should also allow saving and
    > organizing the Web content -- automatically generating bibliographies and
    > reports.

    Web technologies are the main thing that currently keep me ahead of my
    superordinates so I look forward to such developments, which the older
    generation will fail to grasp or master.

    > I've only used the trial version of Net Snippets becuase it costs $130.
    > If a browser is supposed to be the tool to interact with the Web, why not
    > make
    > it more functional?

    Because not enough people require it at present. I see the way my parents
    handle the browser. Some would rather pay, become ignorant as to what's
    under the hood and become dependent on a product.

    Am I bitter? No. They peril themselves. But sometimes my family and friends
    peril themselves and that's when I get a taste of it too...

    > There is a Firefox extension called Scrapbook, which
    > is
    > a good start, but it should go beyond that. Saving web pages to random
    > folders with CTRL-S is too primitive... :S

    I personally use grabbers a lot. In fact, I get all my music without _any_
    manual intervention. A grabber spiders using HTTP overnight and gets me the
    latest stuff, which resides on Web servers, i.e. people's Web sites (no P2P
    involved). This makes me merely one who downloads files, so I'm clean!

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 29, 2005
  13. Roy Schestowitz

    WD10 Guest

    Re: Web Based Tools

    > __/ ["WD10" <.>] on Monday 29 August 2005 08:03 \__
    >
    >> I just downloaded Horde but it's going to take a while to figure out. It
    >> looks great though...

    > Here are some old screenshot that I have lying around:
    >
    > http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/horde.jpg
    >
    > Here is the nice initiative at getting an AJAX-enabled feed reader:
    >
    > http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/500.jpg

    That looks great. I hope I have enough time tomorrow to install it.

    >> I have some ideas about what the perfect browser should be (in addition
    >> the web development tools--BTW, have you seen the codetch extension?
    >> http://www.codetch.com/. This is going to be one of the best
    >> extensions).

    > It looks very promising. I will wait until I get a nod from someone who
    > uses
    > it.

    The guy who is working on it has this list of features he is adding:

    * FTP
    * Project/Site manager
    * File type association manager
    * Extensible editor system
    * Syntax Highliter (help pls!)
    * Photoshop-like color picker
    * CSS manager/editor
    * Code snippet insertion
    * HTML insertion dialogues
    * Find and Replace
    (http://www.zachcarter.info/)

    I think that it is going to be great.

    >> It should also allow saving and
    >> organizing the Web content -- automatically generating bibliographies and
    >> reports.

    > Web technologies are the main thing that currently keep me ahead of my
    > superordinates so I look forward to such developments, which the older
    > generation will fail to grasp or master.

    :)

    >> I've only used the trial version of Net Snippets becuase it costs $130.
    >> If a browser is supposed to be the tool to interact with the Web, why not
    >> make
    >> it more functional?

    > Because not enough people require it at present. I see the way my parents
    > handle the browser. Some would rather pay, become ignorant as to what's
    > under the hood and become dependent on a product.
    >
    > Am I bitter? No. They peril themselves. But sometimes my family and
    > friends
    > peril themselves and that's when I get a taste of it too...

    But what about schools and universities? When I was a kid we had to take a
    class every year on how to use the library system to look up books. It's
    2005 now. Every kid should have a class every year on how to use the
    Internet for research--and everyone should have a free tool to use for that
    purpose (a browser that can organize Web information). A browser with those
    features integrated would be perfect and the next generation would
    understand how to use it. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a
    Firefox extension that does what Net Snippets does. If I had enough free
    time I would look into it...

    >> There is a Firefox extension called Scrapbook, which
    >> is
    >> a good start, but it should go beyond that. Saving web pages to random
    >> folders with CTRL-S is too primitive... :S

    > I personally use grabbers a lot. In fact, I get all my music without _any_
    > manual intervention. A grabber spiders using HTTP overnight and gets me
    > the
    > latest stuff, which resides on Web servers, i.e. people's Web sites (no
    > P2P
    > involved). This makes me merely one who downloads files, so I'm clean!

    I wish I could write that kind of stuff :)
    Does it find good music?
    WD10, Aug 29, 2005
  14. Re: Extensions, JRE, and Music

    __/ ["WD10" <.>] on Monday 29 August 2005 09:40 \__

    > "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    >> __/ ["WD10" <.>] on Monday 29 August 2005 08:03 \__
    >>
    >>> I just downloaded Horde but it's going to take a while to figure out.
    >>> It looks great though...

    >> Here are some old screenshot that I have lying around:
    >>
    >> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/horde.jpg
    >>
    >> Here is the nice initiative at getting an AJAX-enabled feed reader:
    >>
    >> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/500.jpg

    > That looks great. I hope I have enough time tomorrow to install it.

    If you need some help, just holler.

    >>> http://www.codetch.com/. This is going to be one of the best
    >>> extensions).

    >> It looks very promising. I will wait until I get a nod from someone who
    >> uses
    >> it.

    > The guy who is working on it has this list of features he is adding:
    >
    > * FTP
    > * Project/Site manager
    > * File type association manager
    > * Extensible editor system
    > * Syntax Highliter (help pls!)
    > * Photoshop-like color picker
    > * CSS manager/editor
    > * Code snippet insertion
    > * HTML insertion dialogues
    > * Find and Replace
    > (http://www.zachcarter.info/)
    >
    > I think that it is going to be great.

    It sounds like something revolutionary. Not mind-blowing, but something that
    will get people talking... if it's GPL'd, which I('d like to) assume it is,
    then syntax highlighting is something that can easily be re-used. KWrite,
    for example, highlights so many conceivable formats and syntaxes.

    >> Because not enough people require it at present. I see the way my parents
    >> handle the browser. Some would rather pay, become ignorant as to what's
    >> under the hood and become dependent on a product.
    >>
    >> Am I bitter? No. They peril themselves. But sometimes my family and
    >> friends
    >> peril themselves and that's when I get a taste of it too...

    > But what about schools and universities? When I was a kid we had to take
    > class every year on how to use the library system to look up books. It's
    > 2005 now. Every kid should have a class every year on how to use the
    > Internet for research--and everyone should have a free tool to use for
    > that
    > purpose (a browser that can organize Web information).

    It is moving in that direction:

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/23/tech/main791462.shtml

    Sadly, in our university, some student need to be taught about backup first.
    I am involved with endless sobs about losses of theses and dissertations.
    You'd think that a Master or Ph.D. student would know better and not store
    his/her file on just a floppy disk or a pen drive.

    >A browser with
    > those features integrated would be perfect and the next generation would
    > understand how to use it. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a
    > Firefox extension that does what Net Snippets does. If I had enough free
    > time I would look into it...

    It's Java Runtime Environment. Give it time. It's where all the hype is
    headed.

    >> I personally use grabbers a lot. In fact, I get all my music without
    >> _any_ manual intervention. A grabber spiders using HTTP overnight and
    >> gets me the
    >> latest stuff, which resides on Web servers, i.e. people's Web sites (no
    >> P2P
    >> involved). This makes me merely one who downloads files, so I'm clean!

    > I wish I could write that kind of stuff :)
    > Does it find good music?

    Depends on what sites it's aimed at as a starting point. At the moment (as
    those sites are volatile) I select sites from this Wiki:

    http://wiki.monkeyfilter.com/index.php?title=MP3_Blog_Listing

    If you have a modern Mac or _nix box, see entry below:

    http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/10/music-obscurity/

    This latest items points to some older ones. If you use Windows, you can
    'hand-pick' the MP3's instead of recurse and dispose.

    Roy
    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 29, 2005
  15. Roy Schestowitz

    WD10 Guest

    Re: Extensions, JRE, and Music

    > __/ ["WD10" <.>] on Monday 29 August 2005 09:40 \__
    >>A browser with
    >> those features integrated would be perfect and the next generation would
    >> understand how to use it. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a
    >> Firefox extension that does what Net Snippets does. If I had enough free
    >> time I would look into it...

    > It's Java Runtime Environment. Give it time. It's where all the hype is
    > headed.

    Do you mean a tool like that should be written in Java?

    > Depends on what sites it's aimed at as a starting point. At the moment (as
    > those sites are volatile) I select sites from this Wiki:
    >
    > http://wiki.monkeyfilter.com/index.php?title=MP3_Blog_Listing
    >
    > If you have a modern Mac or _nix box, see entry below:
    >
    > http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/10/music-obscurity/
    >
    > This latest items points to some older ones. If you use Windows, you can
    > 'hand-pick' the MP3's instead of recurse and dispose.

    I'll look into it...
    WD10, Aug 29, 2005
  16. Re: Extensions, JRE, and Music

    __/ ["WD10" <.>] on Monday 29 August 2005 10:13 \__

    > "Roy Schestowitz" <> wrote in message
    >> __/ ["WD10" <.>] on Monday 29 August 2005 09:40 \__
    >>>A browser with
    >>> those features integrated would be perfect and the next generation would
    >>> understand how to use it. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a
    >>> Firefox extension that does what Net Snippets does. If I had enough
    >>> free time I would look into it...

    >> It's Java Runtime Environment. Give it time. It's where all the hype is
    >> headed.

    > Do you mean a tool like that should be written in Java?

    I mean, merely anything you write in Java can (should) be incorporated into
    Firefox in one way or another. Think of Firefox as a Java platform -- that
    is -- a virtual machine that assembles and delegates power to many child
    processes. Maybe Mozilla will one day become an all-in-one application.
    Thunderbird and Firefox I was told have been combined to be called
    Seamonkey. Time will tell it it will 'take'. Let's not forget that they
    used to be joint in the Mozilla Suite, formerly known as Netscape.

    >> Depends on what sites it's aimed at as a starting point. At the moment
    >> (as those sites are volatile) I select sites from this Wiki:
    >>
    >> http://wiki.monkeyfilter.com/index.php?title=MP3_Blog_Listing
    >>
    >> If you have a modern Mac or _nix box, see entry below:
    >>
    >> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/10/music-obscurity/
    >>
    >> This latest items points to some older ones. If you use Windows, you can
    >> 'hand-pick' the MP3's instead of recurse and dispose.

    > I'll look into it...

    Excellent. *smile*

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 29, 2005
  17. Roy Schestowitz

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:02:16 -0400, Gérard Talbot
    <> wrote:

    >MeasureIt and Colorzilla are not useful: they duplicate what DOM
    >inspector already does.

    I've never used DOM Inspector for either of these. Although they
    "duplicate the task", their interface is completely different. I usually
    use them for measuring things like existing sites or design dummies
    given to me as big bitmaps, where I later need to build a matching site.
    For neither of these would the DOM Inspector be a good interface to use
    - it's much easier with the direct screen-based interface of the simpler
    tools.

    >View Rendered Source is interesting for intermediary and advanced users:
    >they show a graphical representation of the DOM containment hierarchy.

    It's also useful for XSLT work, where it shows the results of a
    client-side XSLT transform. Similarly for JavaScript and dynamically
    modified pages.

    Andy Dingley, Aug 29, 2005
  18. Roy Schestowitz

    william Guest

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:22:00 -0400, WD10 wrote:

    > I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
    >
    > I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    > Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning HTML.
    > I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when I have
    > more time...
    >
    > http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
    >
    > Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
    > Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
    > extensions?

    Whats with the stupid little box popping up when you mouse over the
    "Tallahassee Web Site Design" link on the bottom of the page?
    william, Aug 29, 2005
  19. william wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:22:00 -0400, WD10 wrote:
    >
    >> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
    >>
    >> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    >> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning HTML.
    >> I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when I have
    >> more time...
    >>
    >> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
    >>
    >> Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
    >> Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
    >> extensions?

    > Whats with the stupid little box popping up when you mouse over the
    > "Tallahassee Web Site Design" link on the bottom of the page?

    Here, it contains a thumb of the linked page. Not that I have any
    need to see that.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 29, 2005
  20. Roy Schestowitz

    WD10 Guest

    "william" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:22:00 -0400, WD10 wrote:
    >
    >> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
    >>
    >> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
    >> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
    >> HTML.
    >> I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when I
    >> have
    >> more time...
    >>
    >> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
    >>
    >> Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
    >> Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
    >> extensions?

    > Whats with the stupid little box popping up when you mouse over the
    > "Tallahassee Web Site Design" link on the bottom of the page?

    A little blunt for constructive criticism, don't you think? Maybe the box
    too much... I was just experimenting with overlib. In the past I never took
    the site very seriously because for a long time it only had only 10 visitors
    a day and almost all of them were me :) But now it's starting to get
    significant traffic so maybe I should move the experimenting somewhere else.
    WD10, Aug 30, 2005