Firefox not exiting (JApplet)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Steven J. Sobol, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. I have a weird problem. Firefox is refusing to exit when I'm on a page
    containing a JApplet I'm writing, unless I navigate off that page first. I
    have also tried a barebones JApplet created by the Eclipse visual editor;
    the only thing I've changed is to add a stop() method:

    package com.stevesobol.gallery.editor;

    import java.awt.BorderLayout;

    import javax.swing.JApplet;
    import javax.swing.JPanel;

    public class Test extends JApplet {

    private JPanel jContentPane = null;

    /**
    * This is the xxx default constructor
    */
    public Test() {
    super();
    }

    /**
    * This method initializes this
    *
    * @return void
    */
    public void init() {
    this.setSize(300, 200);
    this.setContentPane(getJContentPane());
    }

    /**
    * This method initializes jContentPane
    *
    * @return javax.swing.JPanel
    */
    private JPanel getJContentPane() {
    if (jContentPane == null) {
    jContentPane = new JPanel();
    jContentPane.setLayout(new BorderLayout());

    }
    return jContentPane;
    }

    public void stop() {
    System.out.println("stopping");

    <object id="broken2" type="application/x-java-applet"
    width="500" height="500">
    <param name="code" value="com.stevesobol.gallery.editor.Test"></param>
    <param name="codebase" value="./"></param>
    <param name="type" value="application/x-java-applet"></param>
    </object>

    The stop() method is called, but Firefox remains resident in memory. If I
    navigate off the page with the applet and then close Firefox, it exits
    properly.

    JRE 1.5.0_07, Firefox 1.5.0.6, WinXP SP2 with all of the updates.

    Thanks in advance
    **SJS

    --
    Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
    Apple Valley, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

    It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.

    Steven J. Sobol, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Steven J. Sobol

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Steven J. Sobol" <> wrote in message
    >I have a weird problem. Firefox is refusing to exit when I'm on a page
    > containing a JApplet I'm writing, unless I navigate off that page first. I
    > have also tried a barebones JApplet created by the Eclipse visual editor;
    > the only thing I've changed is to add a stop() method:
    >
    > package com.stevesobol.gallery.editor;
    >
    > import java.awt.BorderLayout;
    >
    > import javax.swing.JApplet;
    > import javax.swing.JPanel;
    >
    > public class Test extends JApplet {
    >
    > private JPanel jContentPane = null;
    >
    > /**
    > * This is the xxx default constructor
    > */
    > public Test() {
    > super();
    > }
    >
    > /**
    > * This method initializes this
    > *
    > * @return void
    > */
    > public void init() {
    > this.setSize(300, 200);
    > this.setContentPane(getJContentPane());
    > }
    >
    > /**
    > * This method initializes jContentPane
    > *
    > * @return javax.swing.JPanel
    > */
    > private JPanel getJContentPane() {
    > if (jContentPane == null) {
    > jContentPane = new JPanel();
    > jContentPane.setLayout(new BorderLayout());
    >
    > }
    > return jContentPane;
    > }
    >
    > public void stop() {
    > System.out.println("stopping");

    > <object id="broken2" type="application/x-java-applet"
    > width="500" height="500">
    > <param name="code" value="com.stevesobol.gallery.editor.Test"></param>
    > <param name="codebase" value="./"></param>
    > <param name="type" value="application/x-java-applet"></param>
    > </object>
    >

    > The stop() method is called, but Firefox remains resident in memory. If I
    > navigate off the page with the applet and then close Firefox, it exits
    > properly.
    >
    > JRE 1.5.0_07, Firefox 1.5.0.6, WinXP SP2 with all of the updates.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > **SJS

    I'd submit this as a bug to the FireFox team.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Sep 5, 2006

  3. In article <mTlLg.5835$0k7.5211@clgrps13>, Oliver Wong wrote:

    >>I have a weird problem. Firefox is refusing to exit when I'm on a page
    >> containing a JApplet I'm writing, unless I navigate off that page first. I
    >> have also tried a barebones JApplet created by the Eclipse visual editor;
    >> the only thing I've changed is to add a stop() method:

    > I'd submit this as a bug to the FireFox team.

    Bugzilla already has someone reporting the same thing on bug 285390.

    Of course, I installed the browser plugin separately from the JDK. The JDK
    is at 1.5.0_07 and the JRE installed with the plugin is 1.5.0_06. I'm going to
    try switching to whichever one I'm not using now...

    Steven J. Sobol, Sep 6, 2006
  4. In article <>, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
    > In article <mTlLg.5835$0k7.5211@clgrps13>, Oliver Wong wrote:
    >
    >>>I have a weird problem. Firefox is refusing to exit when I'm on a page
    >>> containing a JApplet I'm writing, unless I navigate off that page first. I
    >>> have also tried a barebones JApplet created by the Eclipse visual editor;
    >>> the only thing I've changed is to add a stop() method:

    >> I'd submit this as a bug to the FireFox team.

    > Bugzilla already has someone reporting the same thing on bug 285390.
    >
    > Of course, I installed the browser plugin separately from the JDK. The JDK
    > is at 1.5.0_07 and the JRE installed with the plugin is 1.5.0_06. I'm going to
    > try switching to whichever one I'm not using now...

    I uninstalled JDK _07 and the JRE _06 that installed when I installed the Java
    plugin from Sun's consumer website (java.com). I installed the JDK and the
    public JRE _08 from the Java developer website, and the Firefox problem went
    away. So I figure, either:

    ** having two runtimes installed screwed things up somehow, or

    ** the problem existed in 1.5.0_06 and/or _07 but has been fixed in _08.

    Or both.

    Whatever it was, it's fixed now.

    Steven J. Sobol, Sep 6, 2006
  5. In article <>, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
    >> try switching to whichever one I'm not using now...

    > I uninstalled JDK _07 and the JRE _06 that installed when I installed the Java
    > plugin from Sun's consumer website (java.com). I installed the JDK and the
    > public JRE _08 from the Java developer website, and the Firefox problem went
    > away. So I figure, either:
    >
    > ** having two runtimes installed screwed things up somehow, or
    >
    > ** the problem existed in 1.5.0_06 and/or _07 but has been fixed in _08.
    >
    > Or both.

    final note:
    Here at the office I am using JDK/JRE _06 and having no problems, so I assume
    I screwed something up on the computer at home.

    Steven J. Sobol, Sep 6, 2006