    so have no clue where to begin, does anyone know of a programme that may
    help me?

    Helen
    Helen, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Helen

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Helen <> said:

    > I would really like to have my site visible properly in all browsers but the
    > thing is I do not know anything about html [someone designed my site for me]
    > so have no clue where to begin, does anyone know of a programme that may
    > help me?

    This is something that a program simply cannot do. Only a knowledge of
    the technologies and issues involved, combined with lots of testing, can
    really get any sort of decent result.

    The first thing you can do is to throw your site at
    http://validator.w3.org/ or http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ and fix
    any errors they tell you about (the latter generally has more
    user-friendly explanations of the errors - if you don't understand any
    of them, you can ask here). All you need is a text editor (even Notepad
    will do). However while this may help, it is only one step in the
    process.

    Really, unless you want to start learning HTML and CSS yourself, your
    best bet is to find someone who knows what they are doing, and get them
    to do it for you.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Mar 30, 2005

  3. Helen wrote:

    > I would really like to have my site visible properly in all browsers but the
    > thing is I do not know anything about html [someone designed my site for me]
    > so have no clue where to begin, does anyone know of a programme that may
    > help me?

    "I want my car's engine rebuilt, but I don't know anything about
    engines. Where should I start?" "You should start by hiring someone
    who does know about them to do the work for you."

    In this case you should make it clear to them that the site should be
    done to work in those plural browsers, as it sounds like you didn't
    demand that the first time around.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 30, 2005
  4. Hi Helen,
    If you want to learn HTML then try www.w3schools.com. You could use a design
    program instead, but the code they produce may not meet web standards which
    means it's likely not to display correctly in all browsers, or the code they
    produce may need to be tweaked to appear correctly.
    Regards,
    Duncan

    Duncan Greenhill, Mar 30, 2005