firefox python plugin

M.N.A.Smadi

hi;

i want to write a script to do the following:
when using firefox to download a textfile, instead of saving it to the
hard dist, i want to run a python script on it, and i want the python
script then to prompt me for the location where i want to store the
processed downloaded file

any help is appreciated
thanks
m.smadi

Carl Banks

M.N.A.Smadi said:
i want to write a script to do the following:
when using firefox to download a textfile, instead of saving it to the
hard dist, i want to run a python script on it, and i want the python
script then to prompt me for the location where i want to store the
processed downloaded file

I can't help you with details, but here's some general tips:

First, although you say "plugin", I think what you really want is an
extension. A plugin is kind of a DLL that can view certain embedded
content in a page, whereas an extension is . Extensions are more
versatile and easier to program.

Second, the de jure official language of Firefox extensions is
Javascript, and you might want to consider writing the script in that
(if you intend to have but haven't yet written it). It's surprisingly
not a bad language.

But if you need Python, the most straightforward thing to do is write a
small wrapper extension that starts the Python interpretter to do the
dirty work. The dialog box may be easier done in the extension itself
and not in Python subprocess.

For details, google for tutorials on writing Firefox extensions.

Thomas Ganss

M.N.A.Smadi said:
hi;

i want to write a script to do the following:
when using firefox to download a textfile, instead of saving it to the
hard dist, i want to run a python script on it, and i want the python
script then to prompt me for the location where i want to store the
processed downloaded file
clientside processing could either be done in javascript (possibly
disabled on some machines <g>) or in jython running as an applet.
Storing processed data could be considered quite dangerous <BG>. You
have to consider security settings / sandbox approaches here.

Unless it is a specific issue for most use cases creating the processed
file on the server and offering a link to download would be a better
solution...

HTH

thomas