    are those that don't have them. Is there a something I'm missing?

    http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/index.htm

    +e

    The Eclectic Electric, Aug 30, 2005

  2. The Eclectic Electric

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, The Eclectic Electric quothed:

    > At the minute I'm just fannying on as I try to relearn the HTML I used to
    > know and get up to speed with all the new tricks, but one thing that's
    > bugging me at the minute is that even though my favicon displays in the URL
    > bar and on the tab, it does not appear next to the site name in the
    > bookmarks toolbar. I've tried deleting and re-adding the bookmark but this
    > doesn't work either. The only other websites who aren't displaying favicons
    > are those that don't have them. Is there a something I'm missing?
    >
    > http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/index.htm

    try this:

    <link rel="icon"
    href="http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/favicon.ico"
    type="image/x-icon">

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 30, 2005

  3. The Eclectic Electric wrote:
    > At the minute I'm just fannying on as I try to relearn the HTML I
    > used to know and get up to speed with all the new tricks, but one
    > thing that's bugging me at the minute is that even though my
    > favicon displays in the URL bar and on the tab, it does not appear
    > next to the site name in the bookmarks toolbar. I've tried
    > deleting and re-adding the bookmark but this doesn't work either.
    > The only other websites who aren't displaying favicons are those
    > that don't have them. Is there a something I'm missing?
    >
    > http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/index.htm

    I see your favicon in Firefox, both in the location bar, and on the
    tab, but not when bookmarking it. Try adding the word shortcut to the
    link, and adding the type. I use the following two lines:

    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
    <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

    Your page also wanted to install plugins, and apparently play two
    different pieces of music at the same time. Not nice. :-(

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 31, 2005
  4. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > The Eclectic Electric wrote:
    >> At the minute I'm just fannying on as I try to relearn the HTML I
    >> used to know and get up to speed with all the new tricks, but one
    >> thing that's bugging me at the minute is that even though my
    >> favicon displays in the URL bar and on the tab, it does not appear
    >> next to the site name in the bookmarks toolbar. I've tried
    >> deleting and re-adding the bookmark but this doesn't work either.
    >> The only other websites who aren't displaying favicons are those
    >> that don't have them. Is there a something I'm missing?
    >>
    >> http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/index.htm

    > I see your favicon in Firefox, both in the location bar, and on the tab,
    > but not when bookmarking it. Try adding the word shortcut to the link, and
    > adding the type. I use the following two lines:
    >
    > <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
    > <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

    I've tried both of those methods and neither makes a difference. But thanks
    for your suggestion.

    > Your page also wanted to install plugins, and apparently play two
    > different pieces of music at the same time. Not nice. :-(

    Interesting!!!! It doesn't on mine, but I guess that's because I have the
    plugins ready installed. Should only be Quicktime plugin though - is that
    right? And it plays sounds on a mouseover - the page is basically testing
    mousover with preload, part of my grand scheme (scratches chin).

    +e

    The Eclectic Electric, Aug 31, 2005
  5. The Eclectic Electric wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    > message news:BD5Re.54150$...
    >
    >>> http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/index.htm

    >> I see your favicon in Firefox, both in the location bar, and on
    >> the tab, but not when bookmarking it. Try adding the word
    >> shortcut to the link, and adding the type. I use the following
    >> two lines:
    >>
    >> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
    >> <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

    > I've tried both of those methods and neither makes a difference.
    > But thanks for your suggestion.

    If we are still discussing the above page, you have:

    <link rel="icon"
    href="http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/favicon.ico"/>

    ...which is not the *two* lines I suggested. Copy and paste *both* of
    those lines into your page.

    >> Your page also wanted to install plugins, and apparently play two
    >> different pieces of music at the same time. Not nice. :-(

    > Interesting!!!! It doesn't on mine, but I guess that's because I
    > have the plugins ready installed. Should only be Quicktime plugin
    > though - is that right? And it plays sounds on a mouseover - the
    > page is basically testing mousover with preload, part of my grand
    > scheme (scratches chin).

    Don't know. I already have Quicktime installed, so that's not it. I do
    not allow unknown plugins to install.

    Mouseover? Ahh, JavaScript. But no matter, nothing happens,
    musicwise, whether I have it enabled or not.

    If we've not discussed your invalid code, please visit:
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/index.htm>

    Note that your page is not structured properly. The first line should
    be a doctype, preferrably Strict. See:
    http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
    and use:

    The next line should be <html>.

    Your "<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">" should be:
    <script type="text/javascript"> ... </script>

    ...and so forth.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 31, 2005
  6. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > The Eclectic Electric wrote:
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    >> message news:BD5Re.54150$...

    >>> I see your favicon in Firefox, both in the location bar, and on
    >>> the tab, but not when bookmarking it. Try adding the word
    >>> shortcut to the link, and adding the type. I use the following
    >>> two lines:
    >>>
    >>> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
    >>> <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

    >> I've tried both of those methods and neither makes a difference.
    >> But thanks for your suggestion.

    > If we are still discussing the above page, you have:
    >
    > <link rel="icon"
    > href="http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/favicon.ico"/>
    >
    > ..which is not the *two* lines I suggested. Copy and paste *both* of those
    > lines into your page.

    I've had both lines in a previous incarnation and it still didn't work.
    I've since been to a professional site taht didn't do it, so I know I'm not
    alone. However, IMDB, which previously didn't have an icon in the bookmarks
    toolbar now does.

    >>> Your page also wanted to install plugins, and apparently play two
    >>> different pieces of music at the same time. Not nice. :-(

    >> Interesting!!!! It doesn't on mine, but I guess that's because I
    >> have the plugins ready installed. Should only be Quicktime plugin
    >> though - is that right? And it plays sounds on a mouseover - the
    >> page is basically testing mousover with preload, part of my grand
    >> scheme (scratches chin).

    > Don't know. I already have Quicktime installed, so that's not it. I do not
    > allow unknown plugins to install.
    >
    > Mouseover? Ahh, JavaScript. But no matter, nothing happens, musicwise,
    > whether I have it enabled or not.
    >
    > If we've not discussed your invalid code, please visit:
    > <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/index.htm>
    >
    > Note that your page is not structured properly. The first line should be a
    > doctype, preferrably Strict. See:
    > http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
    > and use:
    >
    > The next line should be <html>.
    >
    > Your "<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">" should be:
    > <script type="text/javascript"> ... </script>
    >
    > ..and so forth.

    Intriguing!!! Well, it's very early days at the minute, but thanks for the
    pointers. Everything works fine on my PC, but of course that's of no use
    whatsoever. Mystified as to what plugin is wanting to install.

    +e

    The Eclectic Electric, Aug 31, 2005