Firefox right MSIE wrong?

The Bicycling Guitarist

Hi, just when you thought it was safe to go back to my web site...

Firefox makes the text and nav buttons of my home page disappear underneath
the central graphic when the width of the browser screen is reduced. MSIE
gracefully drops the central graphic down and leaves the text and buttons
visible. My code IS valid, fussily extra-strict valid. How can I fix this?
Is it possible MSIE is right and Firefox is wrong (gasp!)?

Chris Watson a.k.a. "The Bicycling Guitarist"
http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/

Jim Higson

The said:
Hi, just when you thought it was safe to go back to my web site...

Firefox makes the text and nav buttons of my home page disappear
underneath the central graphic when the width of the browser screen is
reduced.

Here (v1 preview) the text to the right is pushed behind the image, but
never the buttons on the left, they just get smaller.
MSIE gracefully drops the central graphic down and leaves the
text and buttons
visible.

Just because a MSIE bug in one special case does something you like doesn't
make it correct!
My code IS valid, fussily extra-strict valid. How can I fix
this? Is it possible MSIE is right and Firefox is wrong (gasp!)?

In this case Opera and KHTML (Safari, Konqueror) agrees with Gecko. Doesn't
make it right, mind, but it's unlikely three standards complient browsers
would all break the standards in the same way.

The Bicycling Guitarist

Jim Higson said:
In this case Opera and KHTML (Safari, Konqueror) agrees with Gecko.

Thanks for the quick reply. I really didn't think MSIE had it right, lol.
Please, how can I rewrite my code to still be standards-compliant, have
roughly the same layout/appearance, AND not have my text disappear beneath
the graphic?
Chris Watson a.k.a. "The Bicycling Guitarist"
www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/

Dylan Parry

The said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I really didn't think MSIE had it right,
lol. Please, how can I rewrite my code to still be standards-compliant,
have roughly the same layout/appearance, AND not have my text disappear
beneath the graphic?

I don't think that the problem is with the HTML, but with the CSS. A
quick look makes me believe that the problem lies with the .photo style,
and I think that it possibly has something to do with the margin
declaration. Try removing/fiddling that and see what it does?

The Bicycling Guitarist

I don't think that the problem is with the HTML, but with the CSS. A quick
look makes me believe that the problem lies with the .photo style, and I
think that it possibly has something to do with the margin declaration.
Try removing/fiddling that and see what it does?
Hi Dylan.
Removing the margin declaration made the problem worse: the graphic is not
where it is supposed to be even when at 1024x768 using Firefox as the
browser.

The way it was written before, I could get down to 800x600 in MSIE before
the graphic dropped down.

As for fiddling, I recall much fiddling was necessary to come up with the
numbers declared for the margins in the .photo style when I converted my
home page from table-based layout to CSS.

Should I post a new message in stylesheets group?
Chris Watson a.k.a. "The Bicycling Guitarist"