    to another (Times New Roman we think) on a firends PC using Firefox.

    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks

    Newbie, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Newbie wrote:
    > Sorry if this is really obvious... this is my first attempt to build a
    > website using dreamweaver!
    >
    > The site is available to view at
    > http://www.atregoning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
    >
    > It views ok in IE and in Firefox on my PC, but the font is defaulting
    > to another (Times New Roman we think) on a firends PC using Firefox.
    >
    > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong

    Your friend does not have Verdana on his system and many of your CSS
    classes do not provide alternate font, nor a generic font-family
    "sans-serif"

    ..lefttext {
    font-family: Verdana;

    Such as this one from your stylesheet, if Verdana is not installed the
    browser will use the default font which is normally a serf Roman font.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Many thanks Jonathan

    At the risk of being the most annoying new user in the world... how do
    I provide an alternate font for each style class and a generic
    font-family? I have spent most of the morning with my head in a very
    un-userfriendly dreamweaver book trying to find out about this.

    Thanks again,

    Anne

    Newbie, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Ok you mean I should select 'verdana, hevetica, arial, sans serif'
    option in all of my style classes, right?

    Should I not really uses verdana on its own in a site then? And how can
    I preview what the site will look like in hevetica/arial?

    Newbie, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Jonathan

    I'm hoping you're still there?

    Have changed the font in the style classes and now I can't see any of
    the pages in design view... help!

    Newbie, Jul 23, 2006
  6. Newbie wrote:
    > Jonathan
    >
    > I'm hoping you're still there?
    >
    > Have changed the font in the style classes and now I can't see any of
    > the pages in design view... help!

    Sorry, but contrary to popular belief I do have a life not online ;-)
    But to your question. No idea in DreamWeaver, do not use such and feel
    it is a very bad crutch for a newbie. All web documents HTML markup,
    stylesheets JavaScript and server-side Perl, PHP and the like are just
    plain text files so I use a plain text editor and a newbie should do
    likewise.

    To do as you wish in your stylesheet optional fonts faces and generic
    family is normally define like:

    font-family: arial, helvetica, "lucida sans", sans-serif;

    ^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
    List optional fonts, quote multi-word names, last generic font family

    Generic families: serif, sans-serif, cursive, fantasy, monospace

    Windows font Veranda normally not a good choice because it is "oversize"
    so for users without your text will be too small.

    For stylesheets you should look at:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cover.html#minitoc
    Cascading Style Sheets, Level 2

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 23, 2006
  7. On 2006-07-23, Newbie wrote:
    > Sorry if this is really obvious... this is my first attempt to build a
    > website using dreamweaver!
    >
    > The site is available to view at
    > http://www.atregoning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm

    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/web/examples/mccabe.jpg>