Firefox showing wrong font

Newbie

Sorry if this is really obvious... this is my first attempt to build a
website using dreamweaver!

The site is available to view at
http://www.atregoning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm

It views ok in IE and in Firefox on my PC, but the font is defaulting
to another (Times New Roman we think) on a firends PC using Firefox.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Jonathan N. Little

Newbie said:
Sorry if this is really obvious... this is my first attempt to build a
website using dreamweaver!

The site is available to view at
http://www.atregoning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm

It views ok in IE and in Firefox on my PC, but the font is defaulting
to another (Times New Roman we think) on a firends PC using Firefox.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong

Your friend does not have Verdana on his system and many of your CSS
classes do not provide alternate font, nor a generic font-family
"sans-serif"

..lefttext {
font-family: Verdana;

Such as this one from your stylesheet, if Verdana is not installed the
browser will use the default font which is normally a serf Roman font.

Newbie

Many thanks Jonathan

At the risk of being the most annoying new user in the world... how do
I provide an alternate font for each style class and a generic
font-family? I have spent most of the morning with my head in a very
un-userfriendly dreamweaver book trying to find out about this.

Thanks again,

Anne

Newbie

Ok you mean I should select 'verdana, hevetica, arial, sans serif'
option in all of my style classes, right?

Should I not really uses verdana on its own in a site then? And how can
I preview what the site will look like in hevetica/arial?

Newbie

Jonathan

I'm hoping you're still there?

Have changed the font in the style classes and now I can't see any of
the pages in design view... help!

Jonathan N. Little

Newbie said:
Jonathan

I'm hoping you're still there?

Have changed the font in the style classes and now I can't see any of
the pages in design view... help!

Sorry, but contrary to popular belief I do have a life not online ;-)
But to your question. No idea in DreamWeaver, do not use such and feel
it is a very bad crutch for a newbie. All web documents HTML markup,
stylesheets JavaScript and server-side Perl, PHP and the like are just
plain text files so I use a plain text editor and a newbie should do
likewise.

To do as you wish in your stylesheet optional fonts faces and generic
family is normally define like:

font-family: arial, helvetica, "lucida sans", sans-serif;

List optional fonts, quote multi-word names, last generic font family

Generic families: serif, sans-serif, cursive, fantasy, monospace

Windows font Veranda normally not a good choice because it is "oversize"
so for users without your text will be too small.

For stylesheets you should look at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cover.html#minitoc
Cascading Style Sheets, Level 2