Firefox shows correctly? Validator no help

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
www.1-small-world.com/index2.html

Validator now shows 2 errors.

1) "character data not allowed here". Then where and how should it be
placed?

2) end tag for "head" is unfinished.
So what am I missing here?
This for both errors is this

charset=windows-1252" />
^^^
That is *XHTML* not *HTML* syntax for single tag elements. Should be:

charset=windows-1252">

Also do yourself a favor, start new projects with strict and not
transitional DOCTYPE.

richard

Jonathan N. Little said:
This for both errors is this

charset=windows-1252" />
^^^
That is *XHTML* not *HTML* syntax for single tag elements. Should be:

charset=windows-1252">

Also do yourself a favor, start new projects with strict and not
transitional DOCTYPE.

Actually, found I had two statements stating the same thing. Eliminated the
wrong one and now only have 1 error.
Thanks.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
charset=windows-1252" />
^^^

In my newsreader, MT, the little hat indicators are misplaced to
under the "s-12" instead of the " /"

Some fault at my end (I think) because this has happened before
from a post from you where it was clear what you meant.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
In my newsreader, MT, the little hat indicators are misplaced to
under the "s-12" instead of the " /"

Some fault at my end (I think) because this has happened before
from a post from you where it was clear what you meant.

You're not using a fixed width font for your newsreader. Change to
something like Courier.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
You're not using a fixed width font for your newsreader. Change to
something like Courier.

Yes, you are right. Of course! I now recall not doing this for a
reason and I just rediscovered the reason, my fixed font in my MT
is Courier and it looks faded and harder to read on my screens in
this particular newsreader (not in text editors or anywhere
else). But I better try a few other fixed fonts or get some
others... For sheer ease of reading on my Mac it has always been
Geneva, been so since the days of the Mac SE for me.

On how things look, Luigi's posts alone appear weird on my app
and I need to "compose as Western Mac" in any replies, I am not
kidding you that I have to change it from "Simplified Chinese" I
have been meaning to post gifs of what happens to amuse and
bemuse Luigi.

patrick j

Yes, you are right. Of course! I now recall not doing this for a
reason and I just rediscovered the reason, my fixed font in my MT
is Courier and it looks faded and harder to read on my screens in
this particular newsreader (not in text editors or anywhere
else). But I better try a few other fixed fonts or get some
others... For sheer ease of reading on my Mac it has always been
Geneva, been so since the days of the Mac SE for me.

You might like Monaco. That's what I use. I've never liked Courier and
Courier New doesn't appeal either :)

dorayme

patrick j said:
You might like Monaco. That's what I use. I've never liked Courier and
Courier New doesn't appeal either :)

Yes, thanks Patrick, I am looking at this in Monaco now. I think
this is what I had my old OE on OS 9 set in. For some reason it
looks a bit flowery for my taste now! Nice but. I have also since
discovered that it is actually 'Courier New' that has the faded
look, Courier (proper) seems black enough.

You do understand that all this is so I can see the little cute
markers that JL so often kindly illustrates his posts with. I
will be giving up a really plain and unobtrusive, perfectly
shaded, perfectly-on-screen-readable Geneva for him. I hope he
damn well appreciates it. :)

patrick j

You do understand that all this is so I can see the little cute
markers that JL so often kindly illustrates his posts with. I
will be giving up a really plain and unobtrusive, perfectly
shaded, perfectly-on-screen-readable Geneva for him. I hope he
damn well appreciates it. :)

Yes I'm sure he does appreciate it :)

One rather excellent thing about MacSOUP newsreader which I used to use
before I started using Hogwasher was that with MacSOUP you had an
"alternative font" option which meant that by a simple key combination
(I think it was command-U) you could change the font from something
nice like, say Geneva, to something not as nice but fixed-width like
Courier or Monaco.

This means of course that when you see an "ASCII" graphic in a posting
you would just change to the fixed-width font.

Jonathan N. Little

That's cuz I'm an R-tist!
Yes I'm sure he does appreciate it :)

One rather excellent thing about MacSOUP newsreader which I used to use
before I started using Hogwasher was that with MacSOUP you had an
"alternative font" option which meant that by a simple key combination
(I think it was command-U) you could change the font from something
nice like, say Geneva, to something not as nice but fixed-width like
Courier or Monaco.

How about a sans-serif font that is also monospace like "Monospace 821
BT Roman"? Or "Prestige 12 Pitch BT Roman" which is bolder than Courier?

patrick j said:
One rather excellent thing about MacSOUP newsreader which I used to use
before I started using Hogwasher was that with MacSOUP you had an
"alternative font" option which meant that by a simple key combination
(I think it was command-U) you could change the font from something
nice like, say Geneva, to something not as nice but fixed-width like
Courier or Monaco.

This means of course that when you see an "ASCII" graphic in a posting
you would just change to the fixed-width font.

Neat!

Dan

Jonathan said:
That is *XHTML* not *HTML* syntax for single tag elements. Should be:

charset=windows-1252">

Though it would be better to get rid of that meta tag altogether and be
sure your server sends the proper HTTP headers in the first place, so
you don't end up having to do a cheap imitation of them via meta tags.
And it would be best to avoid proprietary character encodings such as
windows-1252 anyway.

Sally Thompson

Yes I'm sure he does appreciate it :)

One rather excellent thing about MacSOUP newsreader which I used to use
before I started using Hogwasher was that with MacSOUP you had an
"alternative font" option which meant that by a simple key combination
(I think it was command-U) you could change the font from something
nice like, say Geneva, to something not as nice but fixed-width like
Courier or Monaco.

This means of course that when you see an "ASCII" graphic in a posting
you would just change to the fixed-width font.

I do so agree with you. This is the one thing I find less user-friendly with
Hogwasher compared with my old Windows newsreader, which was Forte Agent. If
I really really want to see some ASCII art then I change my prefs to a fixed
width font, then change them back afterwards - because I really don't find
messages as easy to read in such a font. At the moment I use Lucida Grande,
which I really like.

Andy Dingley

Dan said:
Though it would be better to get rid of that meta tag altogether

Is there ever a possibility of a <meta> encoding being useful in valid
XHTML ? If it's not UTF, then you must already have made it manifest
from externally to the file, just to keep it as valid XML. Even if
you're on a filesystem and not a web server, you'd be forced to put it
into the XML PI

Alan J. Flavell

Is there ever a possibility of a <meta> encoding being useful in valid
XHTML ?

Only in 1.0 Appendix C, and then it's only there for HTML
compatibility. Even there, it's not a necessity.

(I suspect that your question was rhetorical and you already know the
answer, but anyhow, that's my "take".)
If it's not UTF, then you must already have made it manifest
from externally to the file, just to keep it as valid XML. Even if
you're on a filesystem and not a web server, you'd be forced to put it
into the XML PI

Indeed. From a deeper theoretical standpoint, I really hate this idea
of polluting the data with its own metadata; but it's the way things
went - I guess there's no use crying over it now. Just that XML moved
the pollution from a <meta...> to the <?xml...> thingy. The right
place for such metadata (on the web) is the HTTP protocol, not stashed
inside the data itself. The problem, as you rightly point out, is
what to do with static files that aren't being accessed by HTTP.

Andy Dingley

Alan said:
Only in 1.0 Appendix C, and then it's only there for HTML
compatibility. Even there, it's not a necessity.

I'm not sure whether it's "not a necessity" or "only possibly useful in
the face of deliberate bad practice".

You can't store XHTML Appendix C as a file, it's only _possible_ as a
HTTP document. If it's a file, then it reverts to plain XML. So in
either case, you _can_ send the appropriate header, or you're back to
being forced to use the XML PI.

You might guess that I've been wrangling several MB of badly
misbegotten HTML as local files of late, supposedly an "on-line help
system", extruded from the rump end of an abomination called
"AuthorIt". They're not pretty.

patrick j

At the moment I use Lucida Grande, which I really like.

I like Lucida Grande as well. I have a great dislike of fixed-width
fonts and in fact for newsreading I use Geneva most usually personally.
It's a very very classic Mac font of course but I find so easy and
pleasant on the eye.

I very much like browsing through my Font Book (I have a great love o
fonts) and I frequently change the font for newsreading but keep coming
back to Geneva eventually.

I actually have a theory that fixed width fonts tend to bring out the
aggressive side in people but I have a great many "theories" :)

dorayme

patrick j said:
I like Lucida Grande as well. I have a great dislike of fixed-width
fonts and in fact for newsreading I use Geneva most usually personally.
It's a very very classic Mac font of course but I find so easy and
pleasant on the eye.

I very much like browsing through my Font Book (I have a great love o
fonts) and I frequently change the font for newsreading but keep coming
back to Geneva eventually.

I actually have a theory that fixed width fonts tend to bring out the
aggressive side in people but I have a great many "theories" :)

!!!

I like the sound of theories like this. I wrote a story about
letters and fonts once for a website. Must dig it out to amuse
you... it was made in the days when I thought CSS was some
electricity or water board utility.

I have always been miffed as to why Geneva always looks so damned
good on Macs. I always come back to it from SE days to now.