Firefox vs. Other Browsers

Barbara de Zoete

I don't understand why the animated gif of a singing girl on my
"entertainment" page at http://www.sattel.com/stargazerasianbuffet/ doesn't
work in Firefox,

What is 'doesn't work'? Does no image show at all? Does it just not animate?
Does the girl drop her skirt and lift her shirt up all of a sudden?
while it is animated correctly in IE and Netscape.

Any ideas?

Tried clearing your cache?

Barbara de Zoete

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:13:50 GMT, George

<http://www.sattel.com/stargazerasianbuffet/>

Something entirely different and far more urgent: you do know that important
parts of your navigation menu in the left hand column disappears and cannot be
reached if the viewport of my browser is slightly smaller than yours, don't you?
Why would you want that?

Nik Coughin

George said:
I don't understand why the animated gif of a singing girl on my
"entertainment" page at http://www.sattel.com/stargazerasianbuffet/
doesn't work in Firefox, while it is animated correctly in IE and
Netscape.

Any ideas?

The code for that website is terrible.

No offense intended, but it is.

I hope you didn't pay for it.

For some reason the site is delivering two different images, one for IE, and
one for all other browsers. The one for all other browsers is not animated.
I downloaded it and it only has one frame. It's not that they aren't
playing the animation, you aren't giving it to them.

That aside, I would recommend you scrap that whole site and start again.

Nik Coughin

Actually, it's the same in Netscape as it is in every other browser except
IE.
For some reason the site is delivering two different images, one for
IE, and one for all other browsers. The one for all other browsers
is not animated. I downloaded it and it only has one frame. It's not
that they aren't playing the animation, you aren't giving it to them.

The image that IE gets:
http://www.sattel.com/stargazerasianbuffet/musik.gif

The image everything else gets:
http://www.sattel.com/stargazerasianbuffet/entertainment_files/image001.gif

Nik Coughin

George said:
I don't understand why the animated gif of a singing girl on my
"entertainment" page at http://www.sattel.com/stargazerasianbuffet/
doesn't work in Firefox, while it is animated correctly in IE and
Netscape.

Any ideas?

You made this in Microsoft Office, like in Publisher or something didn't
you? Or pasted it straight from Publisher or Word or something into
Frontpage. Therein lies all of your problems.

dorayme

Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:13:50 GMT
Subject: Firefox vs. Other Browsers

I don't understand why the animated gif of a singing girl on my
"entertainment" page at http://www.sattel.com/stargazerasianbuffet/ doesn't
work in Firefox, while it is animated correctly in IE and Netscape.

Any ideas?

Thought to look on a Mac but can't see where it is even supposed to be? If
you want feedback re this, a few hints perhaps, where on which url
specifically?

dorayme

dorayme

Nik said:
Actually, it's the same in Netscape as it is in every other browser except
IE.

The image that IE gets:
http://www.sattel.com/stargazerasianbuffet/musik.gif

The image everything else gets:
http://www.sattel.com/stargazerasianbuffet/entertainment_files/image001.gif

Ah, yes. In IE 5.1.6 on a Mac, also in Mozilla 1.3, one gets only the latter
(static pic). I know, probably of little interest as these browsers and this
platform is only a small percentage... The animation also can be seen at
where NC dug it up from ... so obviously your coding, no problems with the
browsers, even my old ones in this respect

Still, Microsoft Frontpage eh? Why have I rarely seen a well made page with
this... I am sure the very knowledgeable folk on this group will give you
clues...

dorayme

Nik Coughin

dorayme said:
Still, Microsoft Frontpage eh? Why have I rarely seen a well made
page with this... I am sure the very knowledgeable folk on this group
will give you clues...

Not only Frontpage, Frontpage in conjunction with either Publisher or Word.
Look at all the mso stuff in the code. There are conditional comments in
there to serve different content to non-IE browsers.