Firewall and sun.misc.ExtensionInstallationException

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ike, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. Ike

    Ike Guest

    I have a client, behind a firewall, that invokes an applet which uses the
    Sun extension javax.activation in Sun's activation.jar (JavaBeans Activation
    Framework Specification). My Applet is digitally signed, and installs no
    problem. Additionally, the manifest for the jar for the applet specifies
    correctly the extension requirement for the activation.jar, and where to
    download it from:

    Manifest-Version: 1.0
    Created-By: 1.4.0 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
    Class-Path: GGUser.jar Extension-List: activation
    activation-Extension-Name: javax.activation
    activation-Implementation-URL: http://ggrip.com/activation.jar

    My problem is that this client, behind a firewall, gets a
    sun.misc.ExtensionInstallationException when his system attempts to install
    activation.jar from the above manifest in my applet. The activation.jar is
    digitally signed by Sun.

    I do not know what is causing this -- it may be, I think, a problem caused
    by his firewall (on other systems, it seems to install ok)? Any ideas would
    be greatly appreciated. Below is the stack trace from the client's computer
    which in installing the applet, pops the exception on the activation jar.
    Also enclosed, below that, is the manifest from activation.jar. Thank you,
    Ike

    sun.misc.ExtensionInstallationException: User denied installation of
    http://ggrip.com/activation.jar
    at sun.plugin.extension.ExtensionInstallationImpl$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.extension.ExtensionInstallationImpl.installExtension(Unknown
    Source)
    at sun.misc.ExtensionDependency.installExtension(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.ExtensionDependency.checkExtension(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.ExtensionDependency.checkExtensions(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.ExtensionDependency.checkExtensionsDependencies(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.parseExtensionsDependencies(Unknown
    Source)
    at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.getClassPath(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getLoader(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getResource(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Here is the maifest of Sun's Activation.jar if this helps:
    Manifest-Version: 1.0
    Implementation-Version: 1.0.2
    Specification-Title: JavaBeans(TM) Activation Framework Specification
    Specification-Version: 1.0
    Extension-Name: javax.activation
    Created-By: 1.3.0 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
    Implementation-Vendor-Id: com.sun
    Implementation-Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    Specification-Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    SCCS-ID: @(#)jaf.mf 1.1 02/03/15

    Name: javax/activation/MimeTypeParseException.class
    SHA1-Digest: uxV3qLHRu5JTOFrHnJXm13AO+0M=

    Name: javax/activation/CommandInfo.class
    SHA1-Digest: 1cKS/VKDQRQtAdvjQSJXZfjuKnM=

    Name: com/sun/activation/viewers/ImageViewer.class
    SHA1-Digest: gEg0GCvDjyJ0wogJ+Yqs5pkgMe8=

    Name: javax/activation/MimeTypeParameterList.class
    SHA1-Digest: bCozM0t+J3YcJVez99Mw8jo4ES0=

    Name: javax/activation/DataContentHandlerFactory.class
    SHA1-Digest: 7sK1N48hT5JuGK4CPHqlDB648/8=

    Name: javax/activation/DataSourceDataContentHandler.class
    SHA1-Digest: YioWWrfLNtVjS7sPDORm1VCljO8=

    Name: javax/activation/DataSource.class
    SHA1-Digest: esP7C47kvDVsS/yoBAst31EiDhM=

    Name: com/sun/activation/registries/MimeTypeFile.class
    SHA1-Digest: o3xR9NwzCphDNomc9i79cx/4rUo=

    Name: com/sun/activation/viewers/TextViewer.class
    SHA1-Digest: SDcybqXjPt6lB7MFTekaMQLo1XU=

    Name: com/sun/activation/viewers/TextEditor.class
    SHA1-Digest: v/CQ9F0afPiGfz3Q5QYgDH8KGVY=

    Name: com/sun/activation/registries/LineTokenizer.class
    SHA1-Digest: 5S1ZtvDD0IoSHNKT8gZed6wXdVw=

    Name: javax/activation/DataContentHandler.class
    SHA1-Digest: 4ScrMQQptqNulV+va+UAbeyWgCY=

    Name: javax/activation/MimeType.class
    SHA1-Digest: JdIXzJFjK4hSwodWVaxE2CpK4Lk=

    Name: javax/activation/FileDataSource.class
    SHA1-Digest: NinT1KJWqpl6RFJGz0QKyWTXxrc=

    Name: javax/activation/SecuritySupport.class
    SHA1-Digest: AyfISvmRrTO6f4dj59Snyelc6Ck=

    Name: javax/activation/MailcapCommandMap.class
    SHA1-Digest: eYZxYHjNOLV8L2zhfHapZWuFuuo=

    Name: javax/activation/DataHandler$1.class
    SHA1-Digest: YgB/hf89aSawmFGr0mlwtjccfeI=

    Name: javax/activation/SecuritySupport12$1.class
    SHA1-Digest: LM3BWLOz1fNRnw2w8LxwA/Kijr4=

    Name: javax/activation/DataHandler.class
    SHA1-Digest: 9ueMkf2LOQO706JazRAeOZ+L2Eo=

    Name: javax/activation/SecuritySupport12$3.class
    SHA1-Digest: t17MgFzefsEODCAhdr0Sp9wz5/Q=

    Name: javax/activation/SecuritySupport12$5.class
    SHA1-Digest: 9mZfG3X19Jtaf5ycmmfSMeknnkk=

    Name: javax/activation/SecuritySupport12$2.class
    SHA1-Digest: 7gljiWPdXVdl4MFwa7Y0QYy9sxM=

    Name: javax/activation/SecuritySupport12$4.class
    SHA1-Digest: DLnWjma9u5+oqsMUEs6p3WN+ReQ=

    Name: com/sun/activation/registries/MimeTypeEntry.class
    SHA1-Digest: RjQc1npYLzmhAl8Tcm70Ge0QeqA=

    Name: javax/activation/SecuritySupport12.class
    SHA1-Digest: f51IilsGhzv/KqVP3eEGPT8KLLA=

    Name: javax/activation/MimetypesFileTypeMap.class
    SHA1-Digest: SBVy1zEsibhu302G2b8lgbNfg2k=

    Name: javax/activation/FileTypeMap.class
    SHA1-Digest: hD5elx7xhmbFWb68dgDXeMsz0A0=

    Name: javax/activation/CommandObject.class
    SHA1-Digest: qvYPNnH4j2UUfQ0BnRPxamLezf4=

    Name: javax/activation/DataHandlerDataSource.class
    SHA1-Digest: RdeKh/ecCa0+yJw3SYDaEfwXCo8=

    Name: com/sun/activation/registries/MailcapTokenizer.class
    SHA1-Digest: zSjxxhDskZteW4bJMALwI/gtMdU=

    Name: javax/activation/ActivationDataFlavor.class
    SHA1-Digest: 2GgoZECWpZ79tTYE8AZYgzwMSTY=

    Name: com/sun/activation/registries/MailcapFile.class
    SHA1-Digest: 7Ynl9y+DzEy1icHtnpCU/l5RuIc=

    Name: com/sun/activation/registries/MailcapParseException.class
    SHA1-Digest: je7BwM327P5pb4asLCB74OOm6h0=

    Name: javax/activation/ObjectDataContentHandler.class
    SHA1-Digest: MvBEMcpyrIFvj0WWesKTQ1Xof/Y=

    Name: javax/activation/URLDataSource.class
    SHA1-Digest: /aYv/WOFrGRrW3CjsleMIIVgedY=

    Name: javax/activation/UnsupportedDataTypeException.class
    SHA1-Digest: G1LVjur46DQFrps5HysTEqRM/NA=

    Name: javax/activation/CommandMap.class
    SHA1-Digest: shlnOhsM3rvKxwBNt5bBy6Z550c=

    Name: com/sun/activation/viewers/ImageViewerCanvas.class
    SHA1-Digest: hYOFlCZpdmIyCgfulKuL+9YuYM0=

    Ike, Jan 25, 2006

  2. Ike

    Ike Guest

    This is a bug in 1.5.06

    In fact, there have been problems it appears with this mechanism in all of
    1.5.x of varying degrees.

    I am going to file a bug report with Sun. -Ike

    Ike, Jan 27, 2006