    i gotta routing to fire off once a day,

    I figure the first hit of each day will cause it to run.
    would i keep track of that in the global.asax and a session variable?

    JP.Gantlin, Oct 25, 2006

  2. JP.Gantlin

    Mark Rae Guest

    "JP.Gantlin" <> wrote in message
    news:%23TrYEUB%...

    > i gotta routing to fire off once a day,

    What sort of routine...?

    > I figure the first hit of each day will cause it to run.

    You mean the first time someone hits your website and, therefore, runs
    Application_Start on any given day...?

    > would i keep track of that in the global.asax and a session variable?

    Clearly you can't store this in a Session variable, because that will be
    lost as soon as the Session times out automatically or is torn down
    manually...

    You also can't store this in an Application variable (I presume that's what
    you mean by "keeping track of it in global.asax"?), because all your
    Application variables will disappear when the last remaining Session times
    out automatically or is torn down manually and Application_End fires...

    The reason I asked what sort of routine this is is because, generally
    speaking, ASP.NET is not particularly suited to this sort of thing for
    precisely the above reasons - a Windows service or a SQL Server job would
    almost certainly be a much better solution, if they are available to you...

    Mark Rae, Oct 25, 2006

  3. JP.Gantlin

    Jon Paal Guest

    you could put it into the session start section , checking the date and status, before firing.

    Jon Paal, Oct 25, 2006
  4. JP.Gantlin

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Jon Paal" <Jon[ nospam ]Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message

    > you could put it into the session start section,

    Which would mean that every new visit to the site would (try to) run this
    whether it needed to or not...

    > checking the date and status, before firing.

    "Checking" how, exactly...? If you mean checking against a database, then
    every Session_Start is going to make a completely unnecessary database
    call...

    Mark Rae, Oct 25, 2006
  5. JP.Gantlin

    JP.Gantlin Guest

    > "Checking" how, exactly...? If you mean checking against a database, then
    > every Session_Start is going to make a completely unnecessary database
    > call...

    not if i also used an application variable..?

    JP.Gantlin, Oct 25, 2006
  6. JP.Gantlin

    JP.Gantlin Guest

    > The reason I asked what sort of routine this is is because, generally
    > speaking, ASP.NET is not particularly suited to this sort of thing for
    > precisely the above reasons - a Windows service or a SQL Server job would
    > almost certainly be a much better solution, if they are available to
    > you...

    yes, I don;t have access to these things.. is the problem...

    it is a send a reminder email that your 30 days is up kind of routine

    JP.Gantlin, Oct 25, 2006
  7. JP.Gantlin

    Mark Rae Guest

    "JP.Gantlin" <> wrote in message

    >> "Checking" how, exactly...? If you mean checking against a database, then
    >> every Session_Start is going to make a completely unnecessary database
    >> call...
    >>

    > not if i also used an application variable..?

    Not quite so bad, but the same principal...

    Also, you have no guarantee that there won't ever be an entire day when
    no-one visits your site...

    Mark Rae, Oct 25, 2006
  8. JP.Gantlin

    Mark Rae Guest

    "JP.Gantlin" <> wrote in message

    >> The reason I asked what sort of routine this is is because, generally
    >> speaking, ASP.NET is not particularly suited to this sort of thing for
    >> precisely the above reasons - a Windows service or a SQL Server job would
    >> almost certainly be a much better solution, if they are available to
    >> you...
    >>

    > yes, I don;t have access to these things.. is the problem...
    >
    > it is a send a reminder email that your 30 days is up kind of routine

    How do you know when someone's 30 days are up...?

    You must know somehow, right...?

    Mark Rae, Oct 25, 2006
  9. JP.Gantlin

    JP.Gantlin Guest

    well part of the once-a-day routine would be took look it up in the database
    and see who is due for an email

    JP.Gantlin, Oct 25, 2006
  10. JP.Gantlin

    Mark Rae Guest

    "JP.Gantlin" <> wrote in message

    > well part of the once-a-day routine would be took look it up in the
    > database and see who is due for an email

    Right - this would be the mythical database that you "don't have access
    to"...?

    Mark Rae, Oct 25, 2006
  11. JP.Gantlin

    JP.Gantlin Guest

    Where are you getting your mythical information?
    You talk like i'm making this up.

    I'll bet that attitude is like wearing cement pants at the waterski park for
    you in your daily life. a big drag for everyone.

    i have a database that i have to check each day so I can know who to send
    emails to.
    what is so hard about that?
    Next, what is so hard about sticking to the question rather than injecting
    meta-skepticism.

    Doing better on either one of these items would be good for me, and would be
    good training for you.

    JP.Gantlin, Oct 26, 2006
  12. JP.Gantlin

    Mark Rae Guest

    "JP.Gantlin" <> wrote in message

    > Where are you getting your mythical information?

    From you...

    > i have a database that i have to check each day

    So, when I asked you if you had a back end database (OK, I said SQL
    Server...), why did you reply:
    "I don;t have access to these things.. is the problem..."

    > Next, what is so hard about sticking to the question rather than injecting
    > meta-skepticism.

    Tell you what - next time someone asks you a question because he's trying to
    help you, why don't you answer it properly...?

    Mark Rae, Oct 26, 2006
  13. JP.Gantlin

    JP.Gantlin Guest

    It's an Access database and I don't have access to a sql server to run jobs
    or run the windows scheduler as was suggested.

    We all have access to the database from a programmming point of view, what
    the hell else would I be doing?
    Every one of us has access to a database. What the heck else would we be
    doing with***ASP.NET**? honest to pete.

    You think I'm just making this up? everyone else got it
    You didn't, and at the same time you re-cast your misconceptions into
    suspicions.
    that's just idiotic, i'll bet you are a pain to work with.

    A moment in the life:
    Gee i don't see how that could be a stop sign. The traffic department must
    be messing with me.

    JP.Gantlin, Oct 26, 2006
  14. JP.Gantlin

    Mark Rae Guest

    "JP.Gantlin" <> wrote in message

    > It's an Access database
    > We all have access to the database from a programmming point of view

    If you'd said that in the first place, we wouldn't be having this
    conversation, as I already have a tried and tested solution for doing
    precisely what you require when a Jet database is used as the RDBMS in an
    ASP.NET solution.

    Good luck.

    <plonk>

    Mark Rae, Oct 26, 2006