    I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
    and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
    something else I haven't done.

    The White Lady, May 13, 2004

  2. The White Lady

    Augustus Guest

    "The White Lady" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
    > webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
    > address to view the page I get a message saying
    >
    > Sorry, there is no index for this site
    > This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
    > index.html)
    >
    > I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
    > and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
    > something else I haven't done.

    If you type in just a URL (with or without a path) like:
    www.mysite.com
    www.mysite.com/info
    and do not specify a page to view... then the web server will provide its
    default page
    example of the above URLs with a page:
    www.mysite.com/hello.html
    www.mysite.com/info/mypage.htm

    Most servers have index.html set as the default page if none is entered

    So you will need to rename your "home" (or start) page to index.html (and
    change links that point to it)

    Augustus, May 13, 2004

  3. On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:26:18 -0700, "Augustus"
    <> wrote:

    >If you type in just a URL (with or without a path) like:
    >www.mysite.com
    >www.mysite.com/info
    >and do not specify a page to view... then the web server will provide its
    >default page
    >example of the above URLs with a page:
    >www.mysite.com/hello.html
    >www.mysite.com/info/mypage.htm
    >
    >Most servers have index.html set as the default page if none is entered
    >
    >So you will need to rename your "home" (or start) page to index.html (and
    >change links that point to it)

    I'm sorry I don't know what you mean - rename my address, the page or
    the file its saved as? I've tried renaming the page itself and get the
    same error.

    The White Lady, May 13, 2004
  4. The White Lady

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, The White Lady
    says...
    > I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
    > webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
    > address to view the page I get a message saying
    >
    > Sorry, there is no index for this site
    > This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
    > index.html)
    >
    > I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
    > and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
    > something else I haven't done.

    Rename the first page of your web site index.htm and upload it again.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, May 13, 2004
  5. The White Lady

    Matt Probert Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:57:01 +0100 The White Lady <>
    broke off from drinking a cup of tea at to write:

    >On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:26:18 -0700, "Augustus"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>If you type in just a URL (with or without a path) like:
    >>www.mysite.com
    >>www.mysite.com/info
    >>and do not specify a page to view... then the web server will provide its
    >>default page
    >>example of the above URLs with a page:
    >>www.mysite.com/hello.html
    >>www.mysite.com/info/mypage.htm
    >>
    >>Most servers have index.html set as the default page if none is entered
    >>
    >>So you will need to rename your "home" (or start) page to index.html (and
    >>change links that point to it)

    >I'm sorry I don't know what you mean - rename my address, the page or
    >the file its saved as? I've tried renaming the page itself and get the
    >same error.

    Rename the file (perhaps using 'Save As....') to "index.html" and then
    FTP it to your web space (or 'publish' it to your web space).

    Matt

    --
    Free searchable encyclopaedia content for your web site:
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/xsearch.htm

    Matt Probert, May 13, 2004
  6. The White Lady

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:20:23 +0100, Hywel <> wrote:

    > In article <>, The White Lady
    > says...
    >> I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
    >> webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
    >> address to view the page I get a message saying
    >>
    >> Sorry, there is no index for this site
    >> This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
    >> index.html)
    >>
    >> I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
    >> and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
    >> something else I haven't done.

    > Rename the first page of your web site index.htm and upload it again.

    If the server has index.html pre-installed, it will take precedence over
    index.htm. Use index.html as the name of the file.

    Neal, May 13, 2004
  7. The White Lady

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, Neal says...
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:20:23 +0100, Hywel <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, The White Lady
    > > says...
    > >> I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
    > >> webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
    > >> address to view the page I get a message saying
    > >>
    > >> Sorry, there is no index for this site
    > >> This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
    > >> index.html)
    > >>
    > >> I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
    > >> and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
    > >> something else I haven't done.

    > > Rename the first page of your web site index.htm and upload it again.
    > >

    > If the server has index.html pre-installed, it will take precedence over
    > index.htm. Use index.html as the name of the file.

    If that's the case then what you say is absurd. How can you possibly
    know the order in which the document index files will be searched
    without seeing the configuration for either the server or the OP's web
    root?

    I think it highly unlikely that a host these days would have anything
    less than this chain as the document index:
    index.htm index.html index.php index.php3. index.php4 index.phtml

    Any of those would do.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, May 13, 2004
  8. The White Lady

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:25:47 +0100, Hywel <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Neal says...
    >> On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:20:23 +0100, Hywel <>
    >> wrote:
    >> If the server has index.html pre-installed, it will take precedence over
    >> index.htm. Use index.html as the name of the file.

    > If that's the case then what you say is absurd. How can you possibly
    > know the order in which the document index files will be searched
    > without seeing the configuration for either the server or the OP's web
    > root?
    >
    > I think it highly unlikely that a host these days would have anything
    > less than this chain as the document index:
    > index.htm index.html index.php index.php3. index.php4 index.phtml
    >
    > Any of those would do.

    Yes it depends on how the server orders things. However, I have not seen a
    system which weights .htm over .html - perhaps my observations are not
    typical.

    It remains that we are both wrong - he must check to see what is the
    preferred filename for his server and use that, whether it's .htm or .html.

    Neal, May 13, 2004
  9. The White Lady

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:25:47 +0100, Hywel <> wrote:

    > I think it highly unlikely that a host these days would have anything
    > less than this chain as the document index:
    > index.htm index.html index.php index.php3. index.php4 index.phtml
    >
    > Any of those would do.

    Just checked the FAQ of a host I do a site on.

    "Make sure that your first page (homepage) is named:

    index.html
    index.htm
    index.pl
    index.cgi
    index.shtml
    index.php
    default.html
    default.htm

    These file names are listed in the order they will appear if you have more
    than one file with any of these names."

    Now, I think it's a splendid host, but it shows that you have to check the
    documentation before you know for sure.

    Neal, May 13, 2004
  10. On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:37:39 -0400, Neal <> wrote:

    >"Make sure that your first page (homepage) is named:
    >
    >index.html
    >index.htm
    >index.pl
    >index.cgi
    >index.shtml
    >index.php
    >default.html
    >default.htm
    >
    >These file names are listed in the order they will appear if you have more
    >than one file with any of these names."
    >
    >Now, I think it's a splendid host, but it shows that you have to check the
    >documentation before you know for sure.

    I've tried index.html and index.htm but am still getting the same
    error

    The White Lady, May 14, 2004
  11. The White Lady

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 08:07:27 +0100, The White Lady <>
    declared in alt.websites,alt.html:

    > I've tried index.html and index.htm but am still getting the same
    > error

    What's the URL?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, May 14, 2004
  12. On Fri, 14 May 2004 17:26:05 +1000, Mark Parnell

    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/twlstuff

    The White Lady, May 14, 2004
  13. The White Lady

    Matt Probert Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:08:21 +0100 The White Lady <>
    broke off from drinking a cup of tea at to write:

    >On Fri, 14 May 2004 17:26:05 +1000, Mark Parnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 14 May 2004 08:07:27 +0100, The White Lady <>
    >>declared in alt.websites,alt.html:
    >>
    >>> I've tried index.html and index.htm but am still getting the same
    >>> error

    >>What's the URL?

    >http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/twlstuff

    Take a look at this URL:

    http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/webspace/helpmain/

    Matt

    Matt Probert, May 14, 2004
  14. The White Lady

    Mitja Guest

    Matt Probert <>
    (news:) wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:08:21 +0100 The White Lady <>
    > broke off from drinking a cup of tea at to write:
    >
    >> On Fri, 14 May 2004 17:26:05 +1000, Mark Parnell
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 14 May 2004 08:07:27 +0100, The White Lady <>
    >>> declared in alt.websites,alt.html:

    >>> What's the URL?

    >> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/twlstuff
    >>

    > Take a look at this URL:
    >
    > http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/webspace/helpmain/
    >
    > Matt

    Furthermore, make sure you have set proper permissions for your
    index.htm[l] - you are getting "Error 403", i.e. "Forbidden". It may be
    forbidden to view the directory listing (because no index page exists) or to
    view the index page itself (due to its file permissions).

    Mitja, May 14, 2004
  15. The White Lady wrote:
    > I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your

    first
    > webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When

    I type in my
    > address to view the page I get a message saying
    >
    > Sorry, there is no index for this site
    > This user has not yet uploaded their index file.

    (index.htm or
    > index.html)
    >
    > I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in

    my isp help
    > and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or

    if theres
    > something else I haven't done.

    Some sites use default.htm or.html so try that if index.htm
    or .html don't work.

    Charlotte Hyatt, May 16, 2004
  16. The White Lady

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:08:21 +0100, The White Lady <>
    declared in alt.websites,alt.html:

    > http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/twlstuff

    Hmmm. The page that loads initially has a meta redirect to the error
    page you see. Strange way of doing it. Anyway...

    Looking at the HTTP headers, it _is_ sending a 403 (when I first saw the
    meta redirect I thought it may have actually have been a 404), so you
    definitely need to check the permissions, as Mitja suggested.

    Mark Parnell, May 18, 2004