first attempt at webpage

The White Lady

I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
address to view the page I get a message saying

Sorry, there is no index for this site
This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
index.html)

I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
something else I haven't done.

Augustus

The White Lady said:
I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
address to view the page I get a message saying

Sorry, there is no index for this site
This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
index.html)

I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
something else I haven't done.

If you type in just a URL (with or without a path) like:
www.mysite.com
www.mysite.com/info
and do not specify a page to view... then the web server will provide its
default page
example of the above URLs with a page:
www.mysite.com/hello.html
www.mysite.com/info/mypage.htm

Most servers have index.html set as the default page if none is entered

So you will need to rename your "home" (or start) page to index.html (and
change links that point to it)

The White Lady

If you type in just a URL (with or without a path) like:
www.mysite.com
www.mysite.com/info
and do not specify a page to view... then the web server will provide its
default page
example of the above URLs with a page:
www.mysite.com/hello.html
www.mysite.com/info/mypage.htm

Most servers have index.html set as the default page if none is entered

So you will need to rename your "home" (or start) page to index.html (and
change links that point to it)

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean - rename my address, the page or
the file its saved as? I've tried renaming the page itself and get the
same error.

Hywel

The White Lady said:
I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
address to view the page I get a message saying

Sorry, there is no index for this site
This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
index.html)

I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
something else I haven't done.

Rename the first page of your web site index.htm and upload it again.

Matt Probert

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean - rename my address, the page or
the file its saved as? I've tried renaming the page itself and get the
same error.

Rename the file (perhaps using 'Save As....') to "index.html" and then
FTP it to your web space (or 'publish' it to your web space).

Matt

Neal

Rename the first page of your web site index.htm and upload it again.

If the server has index.html pre-installed, it will take precedence over
index.htm. Use index.html as the name of the file.

Hywel

If the server has index.html pre-installed, it will take precedence over
index.htm. Use index.html as the name of the file.

If that's the case then what you say is absurd. How can you possibly
know the order in which the document index files will be searched
without seeing the configuration for either the server or the OP's web
root?

I think it highly unlikely that a host these days would have anything
less than this chain as the document index:
index.htm index.html index.php index.php3. index.php4 index.phtml

Any of those would do.

Neal

If that's the case then what you say is absurd. How can you possibly
know the order in which the document index files will be searched
without seeing the configuration for either the server or the OP's web
root?

I think it highly unlikely that a host these days would have anything
less than this chain as the document index:
index.htm index.html index.php index.php3. index.php4 index.phtml

Any of those would do.

Yes it depends on how the server orders things. However, I have not seen a
system which weights .htm over .html - perhaps my observations are not
typical.

It remains that we are both wrong - he must check to see what is the
preferred filename for his server and use that, whether it's .htm or .html.

Neal

I think it highly unlikely that a host these days would have anything
less than this chain as the document index:
index.htm index.html index.php index.php3. index.php4 index.phtml

Any of those would do.

Just checked the FAQ of a host I do a site on.

"Make sure that your first page (homepage) is named:

index.html
index.htm
index.pl
index.cgi
index.shtml
index.php
default.html
default.htm

These file names are listed in the order they will appear if you have more
than one file with any of these names."

Now, I think it's a splendid host, but it shows that you have to check the
documentation before you know for sure.

The White Lady

"Make sure that your first page (homepage) is named:

index.html
index.htm
index.pl
index.cgi
index.shtml
index.php
default.html
default.htm

These file names are listed in the order they will appear if you have more
than one file with any of these names."

Now, I think it's a splendid host, but it shows that you have to check the
documentation before you know for sure.

I've tried index.html and index.htm but am still getting the same
error

Charlotte Hyatt

The said:
I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
address to view the page I get a message saying

Sorry, there is no index for this site
This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
index.html)

I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
something else I haven't done.

Some sites use default.htm or.html so try that if index.htm
or .html don't work.

Mark Parnell

Hmmm. The page that loads initially has a meta redirect to the error
page you see. Strange way of doing it. Anyway...

Looking at the HTTP headers, it _is_ sending a 403 (when I first saw the
meta redirect I thought it may have actually have been a 404), so you
definitely need to check the permissions, as Mitja suggested.