first book about python

John Salerno

IOANNIS said:
I want to learn python.
I plan to buy a book. I always find printed material more convenient than
reading on-line tutorials.
I don't know PERL or any other scripting language. I only know some BASH
programming. I am looking for a book which will help me get started and
should contain the foundations. I am not looking for the Python bible.
Any recommendations?
Ioannis

I definitely recommend Learning Python (2nd ed.) from O'Reilly.

Despite what some may say, I do *not* recommend Beginning Python
(Apress) because it moves too quickly for a beginner and doesn't explain
everything fully.

Ron Rogers Jr.

I want to learn python.
I am looking for a book which will help
me get started and should contain the foundations. I am not
looking for the Python bible. Any recommendations?
Ioannis

Hmm, no one has mentioned Python Programming for the Absolute
Beginner (second edition) by Michael Dawson.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598631128/102-5443736-1342538?v=glance&n=283155

Yes, it's very game oriented, but it's also very newbie oriented.

I've slso downloaded some Python tutorials:

I've got the Python version of How to Think Like a Computer
Scientist:

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

And Dive into Python (available online as well as paper):

http://diveintopython.org/

Hope this helps.

CronoCloud (Ron Rogers Jr.)

Steve

I recommend "The Quick Python Book" by Harms and McDonald. Its
strength is its brevity and *readability* -- you can actually just sit
down and read it and enjoy it. It doesn't cover the newest features of
Python or the most advanced, but that is not necessary in a beginner's
book.

Once you're up to speed on Python, as a sysadmin you'll probably find
"Python Network Programming" useful. It is not a beginner's book, but
it is addressed to the kind of issues that you'll probably want to be
using Python for.

gregarican

Once you are ready to take the plunge another good document is the
Python tutorial written by Guido Von Rossum himself
(http://docs.python.org/tut/). It's not a full fledged 300 page
manifesto but it's covers the basic of the language.