First div class=something not showing background or borders (IE only)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by eslachance@gmail.com, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hey there,

    Thanks for your help in previous matters. Now I have something new that
    popped up just recently.

    I'm displaying a blog, and each blog title is in a div with a class of
    "title" (<div class="title">Blog Title</div>)

    The css is:

    div.title { font-weight: bold; font-size: 14pt; border-bottom: 1px
    solid; border-top: 1px solid; padding: 0 10px 0 10px; background: #DDD;
    margin: 20px 0 10px 0;}

    Now, I have more than one of these entries evidently, but for some
    goddamed reason, the first one refuses to display the background color
    and borders, and the second one does it intermittently (if I select the
    text, sometimes they dissapear).

    The weirdest thing is, firefox displays it properly, but IE messes it
    up.

    The URL for the page is:
    http://b2blog.sh.nu:81/users/test/

    The "Recent Entries" page does this, and "Links" actually doesn't show
    the background and borders under any circumstances... (remember firefox
    users, you won't see the problem).

    Help!
    Eric
    , Oct 14, 2005

  2. Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, <> pronounced to alt.html:

    > I'm displaying a blog, and each blog title is in a div with a class of
    > "title" (<div class="title">Blog Title</div>)

    Why? Surely they are headings? h2 seems most likely after a quick look.

    > div.title { font-weight: bold; font-size: 14pt;

    Points are a paper measurement. They are mostly meaningless on screen.
    Plus IE users won't be able to resize the text. Use % or em.

    > Now, I have more than one of these entries evidently, but for some
    > goddamed reason, the first one refuses to display the background color
    > and borders, and the second one does it intermittently (if I select the
    > text, sometimes they dissapear).

    Hmmm...the peekaboo bug[1] is the only one that springs to mind, but
    generally it's the text that would disappear, not the border and
    background.

    > The weirdest thing is, firefox displays it properly, but IE messes it
    > up.

    And we're surprised about this because...? ;-)

    [1] http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Oct 14, 2005

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > > I'm displaying a blog, and each blog title is in a div with a class of
    > > "title" (<div class="title">Blog Title</div>)

    > Why? Surely they are headings? h2 seems most likely after a quick look.

    Well, I actually set everything from font size to weight so it won't
    really matter anyways if it's div or h2...

    > > div.title { font-weight: bold; font-size: 14pt;

    > Points are a paper measurement. They are mostly meaningless on screen.
    > Plus IE users won't be able to resize the text. Use % or em.

    I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

    > > Now, I have more than one of these entries evidently, but for some
    > > goddamed reason, the first one refuses to display the background color
    > > and borders, and the second one does it intermittently (if I select the
    > > text, sometimes they dissapear).

    > Hmmm...the peekaboo bug[1] is the only one that springs to mind, but
    > generally it's the text that would disappear, not the border and
    > background.

    Well well, following different links almost at random (just kidding) I
    ended up on a page that said most bugs are fixed using position:
    relative ... I slapped that into my div and Voilà! bug is gone.
    Ref: http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=C37E0

    > > The weirdest thing is, firefox displays it properly, but IE messes it
    > > up.

    > And we're surprised about this because...? ;-)

    Right.

    > [1] http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html
    >
    > --
    > Mark Parnell
    > http://clarkecomputers.com.au
    > alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/

    Thanks for the info Mark, it's very much appreciated!
    , Oct 14, 2005
  4. Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, <> pronounced to alt.html:

    > Well, I actually set everything from font size to weight so it won't
    > really matter anyways if it's div or h2...

    Forget the visual presentation for a minute. Think only of the HTML. If
    it's a heading, mark it up as such. If it's a paragraph, likewise. If
    it's a list, mark it up as a list, etc. If it can't logically be marked
    up as anything else, *then* you use a div or span.

    > Well well, following different links almost at random (just kidding) I
    > ended up on a page that said most bugs are fixed using position:
    > relative ... I slapped that into my div and Voilà! bug is gone.

    Good to hear. Um, see. Er, whatever.

    > Ref: http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=C37E0

    Written by the same people who do positioniseverything. :)

    > Thanks for the info Mark, it's very much appreciated!

    You're welcome.

    Mark Parnell, Oct 14, 2005