First Ever Project - Beginner Please Help

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tarun Mistry, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. Tarun Mistry

    Tarun Mistry Guest

    Hello all, im transitioning to .NET from various other languages (java, php,
    c++ etc) as I need to create some web services. However before I delve into
    doing so, I thought I would find some best practices.

    1) I have VS 2003 installed on my machine.
    2) I have a server running IIS 6.0

    Is my IIS install upto date? It is sitting on windows 2003 server, do I need
    to install any .net framework?

    Secondly, the web server and my project can be located via
    http://servername:9001/project

    I attempted to create a new project via VS however it stated it was unable
    to create some components, an option came up to provide a direct path to the
    file location (i.e. \\server\wwwroot\project) which i did. Now VS has put
    some files onto this network share but errored when doing so. Something
    about critical components not installed etc...

    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    With kind regards
    Taz

    Tarun Mistry, Nov 14, 2005

  2. Tarun Mistry

    Alan Silver Guest

    >Hello all, im transitioning to .NET from various other languages (java, php,
    >c++ etc) as I need to create some web services. However before I delve into
    >doing so, I thought I would find some best practices.

    Good idea ;-)

    >1) I have VS 2003 installed on my machine.

    Why not download visual web developer? It's free (for one year) from MS
    and has loads more features than 2003. It also works with version 2.0 of
    the framework.

    >2) I have a server running IIS 6.0
    >
    >Is my IIS install upto date?

    Assuming you have updated your machine with all the latest bits.

    > It is sitting on windows 2003 server, do I need
    >to install any .net framework?

    If you want to stick with 1.1 then you have all you need. If you install
    VWD then it will give you version 2.0, which you don't *need*, but
    provides significant extra features.

    >Secondly, the web server and my project can be located via
    >http://servername:9001/project
    >
    >I attempted to create a new project via VS however it stated it was unable
    >to create some components, an option came up to provide a direct path to the
    >file location (i.e. \\server\wwwroot\project) which i did. Now VS has put
    >some files onto this network share but errored when doing so. Something
    >about critical components not installed etc...
    >
    >Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    Don't know about this last bit. I'm not sure what your set up is as you
    mention VS putting files on a network share. That sounds like it's on
    another machine. If so, are you sure that other machine has the .NET
    framework installed? Is it the same version as the machine that has VS?

    More to the point, why are you telling VS to put the files on a network
    share? If you are running windows 2003 server, why not run the sites on
    the same machine? You will save a lot of problems that way.

    HTH

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Nov 21, 2005