First time access to website is slow - Solutions?

Cirene

As I understand it, (by design?) the first person to visit a ASP.NET website
has to wait a little longer because the site is being compiled. Subsequent
visitors (if they visit soon) will find the site to load faster. After like
30 minutes this happens again. Where can I change this setting (that caches
the compiled website)? If my hosting company won't change it are there
other solutions to keep the site alive/active regularly (even a service that
"visits" every 25 min or something)?

Thanks for your insight!

derhamfamily

As I understand it, (by design?) the first person to visit a ASP.NET website
has to wait a little longer because the site is being compiled. Subsequent
visitors (if they visit soon) will find the site to load faster. After like
30 minutes this happens again. Where can I change this setting (that caches
the compiled website)? If my hosting company won't change it are there
other solutions to keep the site alive/active regularly (even a service that
"visits" every 25 min or something)?

Thanks for your insight!

Maybe you should try the aspnet compiler before you deploy to your
host.

check it out here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms229863(VS.80).aspx

Cirene

But it's already compiled. I use Visual Studio.net 2005. (Sorry if I
didn't explain that well.)

My hosting company support stated "Please be sure that the compiled cached
on server is a behavior of Microsoft ASP.NET, we can not change this kind of
cache. The only thing we can do is keep the compiled application loaded on
the cache, therefore a scheduled task can be help to keep the cache stay.
Thank you."

Make sense?

codezilla94

But it's already compiled. I use Visual Studio.net 2005. (Sorry if I
didn't explain that well.)

My hosting company support stated "Please be sure that the compiled cached
on server is a behavior of MicrosoftASP.NET, we can not change this kind of
cache. The only thing we can do is keep the compiled application loaded on
the cache, therefore a scheduled task can be help to keep the cache stay.
Thank you."

Make sense?

I had the same problem. The reason is that the application domain
times out every 20 mins if there is no activity, the first request
after the timeout can force a recompile and reload of cache. Changing
some settings in the machine.config file will solve the problem;
unfortunately for me my hosting provider would not allow me to make
this change. I found this utility to be useful.

http://www.spikesolutions.net/ViewSolution.aspx?ID=c2b7edc0-5de1-4064-a432-05f6eded3b82

Essentially it "Pings" my home page every few mins so the application
domain does not time out. The utility can also be configured to ping
more than one page so that auxiliary pages are fast too.