First time is slow

Ming Zhang

Hi all,
Our application has 300+ dlls, which causes ASP.NET very slow (2-3 minutes)
the first time load it. This is acceptable for production but it's really
annoying for developers. When debuging an application, developers need to
frequently compile and start an ASP.NET application. Although only one dll
is changed, it seems ASP. NET reload all dlls.
Is there a way to precompile, or somehow don't reload those dlls?

Your help is very appreciated. And thanks in advanced.
Ming

Scott Allen

300 dlls is just far too many dlls. They are delay loaded - but if
your startup code requires functionality from 200 of the 300 dlls then
the operating system has no choice but to load 200 dlls, and loading a
dll from disk isn't the fastest operation in the world.

As I commented before, you probably need to rebase your dlls and
reduce the total number. Look for rebase.exe in the platform SDK on
msdn.com