[FIX] Another possible fix for the missing ASP .Net tab problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Patrick Philippot, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    Since the suggested registry workaround was irrelevant in my case, I have
    done some debugging. I have found out that one essential registry key
    (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft.Aspnet.Snapin.AspNetManagementUtility.2) had an
    empty ACL ??? So when trying to load the property page extension, the MMC
    got an "access denied" error.

    By the way, this is not the first time that the ACL of some registry keys
    are corrupted after installing a .Net related product.

    Anyway, here is what I have done:

    1. You can't reset the permissions for this key from Regedit. You have to
    use SUBINACL to at least grant full control to the local Administrators.
    Then you can do what you want from Regedit. When using SUBINACL target
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\Microsoft.Aspnet.Snapin.AspNetManagementUtility.2
    instead of
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft.Aspnet.Snapin.AspNetManagementUtility.2. For
    some reason, SUBINACL refused to execute any command against the latter.

    2. Uninstalled and re-installed IIS.

    3. Repaired the .Net Framework 2.0.

    And bingo, the ASP .Net tab is back.

    Hope this helps.