Fixed-position navigation buttons

Marten Kemp

I want to display a novel. I have the following
working fine except for the Back, Home and Next
buttons.

---------------------------
| Top Stuff |
---------------------------
| C | |
| h | ^ |
| a | | |
| p | Chapter |
| t | | |
| e | V |
| r | |
| | |
| l | |
| i | |
| n | |
| k |-------------------|
| s |Back Home Next |
---------------------------
| Bottom Stuff |
---------------------------

Click a link in the left frame and the chapter
shows up in the main frame.

I started out by sticking the nav buttons at
end of the chapter text, but that's not quite
as pleasing as having the nav buttons always
available.

No, it's not going online; it might be publishable
and I want to retain my rights. It'll be within
my 192.168 network.

beedeebee

I want to display a novel.  I have the following
working fine except for the Back, Home and Next
buttons.

---------------------------
|      Top Stuff          |
---------------------------
| C   |                   |
| h   |        ^          |
| a   |        |          |
| p   |      Chapter      |
| t   |        |          |
| e   |        V          |
| r   |                   |
|     |                   |
| l   |                   |
| i   |                   |
| n   |                   |
| k   |-------------------|
| s   |Back   Home   Next |
---------------------------
|     Bottom Stuff        |
---------------------------

Click a link in the left frame and the chapter
shows up in the main frame.

I started out by sticking the nav buttons at
end of the chapter text, but that's not quite
as pleasing as having the nav buttons always
available.

No, it's not going online; it might be publishable
and I want to retain my rights. It'll be within
my 192.168 network.

What are the back/home/next buttons not doing correctly?

If I was implementing this, I'd have the "chapter area" setup as an
iframe. I'd then use the back/home/next links to call javascript that
changed the iframe's src value.

SAM

Marten Kemp a écrit :
I want to display a novel. I have the following
working fine except for the Back, Home and Next
buttons.

In a non framed page, it is only a question of CSS ... !
---------------------------
| Top Stuff |
---------------------------
| C | |
| h | ^ |
| a | | |
| p | Chapter |
| t | | |
| e | V |
| r | |
| | |
| l | |
| i | |
| n | |
| k |-------------------|
| s |Back Home Next |

Via Ajax ?
Via html in a framed page ?

Each showed blocks are they frames ?

if yes,
each menu item must send :
- the asked file in main frame
- the sub-menu of this file in frame 'sub_menu' (back home next)
each sub-menu item must work exactly as a menu-item

onclick="parent.sub_menu.location = 'page_1_sub_menu.htm';">
menu 1
</a>

Perhaps could you at least show your main framed page
(the frameset eventually with empty href)
and we could understand your design

Perhaps could you also explain how your buttons 'next' and 'back' are
coded (what do they do ?)

Marten Kemp

Marten said:
[...]

Thanks to all who replied. I'll need to revisit the
problem with a better understanding of Javascript.
I'll report back later, either with some working
code or with more questions.