fixed

OllimaX

Ghostmaster said:
OK i fixed the file problem, and changed the colors out. Is the colors
ok?
The errors on the page will go bye bye as soon as i get a replacement. I
hope. The only link that works on the left is the Help for 95.

http://www.learningpc4beginners.com

IE5.5 and Firebird displayed it the way you probably have in your mind, but
viewing with Opera 7.11 makes the layout look a bit odd:
1/3 screenwidth for left navigation panel, 1/3 for the content and 1/3
width for ads on the right side.
I don't know if these are errors you referred to.
Contrasts in the navigation hurt my eyes and you have a lot of black text
on a dark green background, which is turns me away pretty soon.

Oll¡maX!

Ghostmaster

: Ghostmaster <[email protected]> kirjoitti Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:18:33
GMT:
:
: > OK i fixed the file problem, and changed the colors out. Is the colors
: > ok?
: > The errors on the page will go bye bye as soon as i get a replacement.
: > hope. The only link that works on the left is the Help for 95.
: >
: >
: >
: > http://www.learningpc4beginners.zl6
:
: IE5.5 and Firebird displayed it the way you probably have in your mind,
but
: viewing with Opera 7.11 makes the layout look a bit odd:
: 1/3 screenwidth for left navigation panel, 1/3 for the content and 1/3
: width for ads on the right side.
: I don't know if these are errors you referred to.
: Contrasts in the navigation hurt my eyes and you have a lot of black text
: on a dark green background, which is turns me away pretty soon.
:
: Oll¡maX!

I may be taking out that right panel. I am also going to change the colors
(all of them) But I have to do it later, I am fixing to take off here for
a while. I might use #FFFFCC that is yellow it is light in color and
#FFE6CC this is like a light peach brown but more brown than peach. both
are light, and not rough on the eyes.

Unless I find something else.

Ghostmaster

: Ghostmaster wrote:
: > I changed it. I guess it looks better. Lets just say I am not that
: > impressed. http://learningpc4beginners.com I toned it down. I
: > didn't go with the colors I said I was going with.
:
: your page is missing a double wuote in the source.
:
:

double wuote ?????????????

Eric Bohlman

double quote "

in the first line

A "double wuote," OTOH, is one of the possible units that a browser might
assume for a CSS length value written without a unit. If the browser has
run out of hobnobs, it might interpret "width: 50;" as "50 double wuotes
wide."

Disco Octopus

in Eric Bohlman typed:
A "double wuote," OTOH, is one of the possible units that a browser
might assume for a CSS length value written without a unit. If the
browser has run out of hobnobs, it might interpret "width: 50;" as
"50 double wuotes wide."

right. ok. well, there is only one double wuote missing. it is (or should
be) on the end of the top line (line that defines the doctype)

Disco Octopus

in Disco Octopus typed:
in Eric Bohlman typed:

right. ok. well, there is only one double wuote missing. it is (or
should be) on the end of the top line (line that defines the doctype)

actually. you know what. dont bother. this page is extrememly messed up, and
I am surprised that (even in IE5.5) it displays anything at all.

you really need to get it valid 4.01 before you make any more looky-feely
changes.

Bob

OK i fixed the file problem, and changed the colors out. Is the colors ok?
The errors on the page will go bye bye as soon as i get a replacement. I
hope. The only link that works on the left is the Help for 95.

http://www.learningpc4beginners.com

It's OK, but drab. You might want to consider a different font family
for the headings and left column links. If you do the main heading in
a drawing program (a graphic) you can anti-alias the text and make the
large font look a lot better appearance wise.

Ghostmaster

--

:
: It's OK, but drab. You might want to consider a different font family
: for the headings and left column links. If you do the main heading in
: a drawing program (a graphic) you can anti-alias the text and make the
: large font look a lot better appearance wise.
:

A lot of times when i do stuff it is by trial and error. See the
following...

A:link {color: "#000000"}
A:visited {color: "#336666"}
A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
A:active {color: "#800000"}
A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}

A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way. So do
I have to put the font face in each link? or is their a easier way to do
this with the above, and I just missed target setting it up?

Toby A Inkster

Ghostmaster said:
A:link {color: "#000000"}
A:visited {color: "#336666"}
A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
A:active {color: "#800000"}
A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}

This is very wrong. Try instead:

a:link {
color: #000;
font-family: Charlesworth;
}
a:visited { color: #366; }
a:hover { color: #8A2E2E; }
a:active { color: #800000; }

Bob

A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way. So do
I have to put the font face in each link? or is their a easier way to do
this with the above, and I just missed target setting it up?

As long as you understand that you are changing the font features for
_all_ the links if you put that in a "style" section or style file...

The problem is that the font has to be available on the user's system.
I don't know what Charlesworth looks like, but I know I don't have it.
You might want to specify a list of fonts for the browser to choose
from - or bite the bullet and do graphics for each title in your
favorite font (Charlesworth).

Ghostmaster

: Ghostmaster wrote:
:
: > A:link {color: "#000000"}
: > A:visited {color: "#336666"}
: > A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
: > A:active {color: "#800000"}
: > A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}
:
: This is very wrong. Try instead:
:
: a:link {
: color: #000;
: font-family: Charlesworth;
: }
: a:visited { color: #366; }
: a:hover { color: #8A2E2E; }
: a:active { color: #800000; }
:
: --
: Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
: Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132
:
I can add several fonts incase they don't have it by just putting a comma
after each font right? or should it be a" ; "

Ghostmaster

: On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:11:41 GMT, "Ghostmaster" <[email protected]>
: wrote:
:
: >A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
: >the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way. So
do
: >I have to put the font face in each link? or is their a easier way to do
: >this with the above, and I just missed target setting it up?
:
: As long as you understand that you are changing the font features for
: _all_ the links if you put that in a "style" section or style file...
:
: The problem is that the font has to be available on the user's system.
: I don't know what Charlesworth looks like, but I know I don't have it.
: You might want to specify a list of fonts for the browser to choose
: from - or bite the bullet and do graphics for each title in your
: favorite font (Charlesworth).
:

I am not sure now if i want to use Charlesworth as one of the fonts... If
you go to the page, at the bottom of the links section is a pic that says
"guestbook" The font I used for this is Charlesworth. This font is very
elaborate, but at the same time is crisp. However there is no lower case
for this font. Maybe I should reserve that font, and make a extra banner
for the top in that font? Or try it out, I am not sure. I love that font
though.

Toby A Inkster

Ghostmaster said:
I can add several fonts incase they don't have it by just putting a comma
after each font right?

Yes, but put quote marks about fonts that have spaces in their names. eg:

font-family: "Nimbus Sans", "Trebuchet MS", Arial, sans-serif;

rf

Ghostmaster said:
--

:
: It's OK, but drab. You might want to consider a different font family
: for the headings and left column links. If you do the main heading in
: a drawing program (a graphic) you can anti-alias the text and make the
: large font look a lot better appearance wise.
:

A lot of times when i do stuff it is by trial and error.

The only time when trial and error works is then you emply an infinite
number of monkeys :)

You should go over to the specifications at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/
See the
following...

A:link {color: "#000000"}
A:visited {color: "#336666"}
A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
A:active {color: "#800000"}
A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}

A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way.

This is correct. It is not the right way. There is no :font pseudo element.

a {font-family: Charlesworth;}
A:link {color: #000000}
A:visited {color: #336666}
A:hover {color: #8A2E2E}
A:active {color: #800000}

However, this won't work anyway. I don't have a font called Charlesworth on
my computer.

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

I am not sure now if i want to use Charlesworth as one of the fonts... If
you go to the page, at the bottom of the links section is a pic that says
"guestbook" The font I used for this is Charlesworth. This font is very
elaborate, but at the same time is crisp. However there is no lower case
for this font. Maybe I should reserve that font, and make a extra banner
for the top in that font? Or try it out, I am not sure. I love that font
though.

Judging from my own computer, and a number of other responses here, very
few of your visitors will have that font, anyway, so they aren't going
to get the effect that you want. If you *really* want your visitors to
see that font, you will need to make it an image. But images of text are
a poor replacement for real text.

There's nothing stopping you from specifying that as the first font, but
you shouldn't expect that your visitors will necessarily see it.