    The errors on the page will go bye bye as soon as i get a replacement. I
    hope. The only link that works on the left is the Help for 95.

    http://www.learningpc4beginners.com

    Ghostmaster, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Ghostmaster

    OllimaX Guest

    Ghostmaster <> kirjoitti Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:18:33 GMT:

    > OK i fixed the file problem, and changed the colors out. Is the colors
    > ok?
    > The errors on the page will go bye bye as soon as i get a replacement. I
    > hope. The only link that works on the left is the Help for 95.
    >

    > http://www.learningpc4beginners.com

    IE5.5 and Firebird displayed it the way you probably have in your mind, but
    viewing with Opera 7.11 makes the layout look a bit odd:
    1/3 screenwidth for left navigation panel, 1/3 for the content and 1/3
    width for ads on the right side.
    I don't know if these are errors you referred to.
    Contrasts in the navigation hurt my eyes and you have a lot of black text
    on a dark green background, which is turns me away pretty soon.

    Oll¡maX!

    OllimaX, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Ghostmaster

    Ghostmaster Guest

    :
    : > OK i fixed the file problem, and changed the colors out. Is the colors
    : > ok?
    : > The errors on the page will go bye bye as soon as i get a replacement.
    : > hope. The only link that works on the left is the Help for 95.
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : > http://www.learningpc4beginners.zl6
    :
    : IE5.5 and Firebird displayed it the way you probably have in your mind,
    but
    : viewing with Opera 7.11 makes the layout look a bit odd:
    : 1/3 screenwidth for left navigation panel, 1/3 for the content and 1/3
    : width for ads on the right side.
    : I don't know if these are errors you referred to.
    : Contrasts in the navigation hurt my eyes and you have a lot of black text
    : on a dark green background, which is turns me away pretty soon.
    :
    : Oll¡maX!

    I may be taking out that right panel. I am also going to change the colors
    (all of them) But I have to do it later, I am fixing to take off here for
    a while. I might use #FFFFCC that is yellow it is light in color and
    #FFE6CC this is like a light peach brown but more brown than peach. both
    are light, and not rough on the eyes.

    Unless I find something else.

    Ghostmaster, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Ghostmaster

    Ghostmaster Guest

    I changed it. I guess it looks better. Lets just say I am not that
    impressed. http://learningpc4beginners.com I toned it down. I didn't
    go with the colors I said I was going with.

    Ghostmaster, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Ghostmaster wrote:
    > I changed it. I guess it looks better. Lets just say I am not that
    > impressed. http://learningpc4beginners.com I toned it down. I
    > didn't go with the colors I said I was going with.

    your page is missing a double wuote in the source.

    Ghostmaster, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Ghostmaster wrote:
    > "Disco Octopus" <> wrote in message
    >> Ghostmaster wrote:
    >>> I changed it. I guess it looks better. Lets just say I am not that
    >>> impressed. http://learningpc4beginners.com I toned it down. I
    >>> didn't go with the colors I said I was going with.

    >> your page is missing a double wuote in the source.
    >>

    > double wuote ?????????????

    double quote "

    in the first line

    Disco Octopus, Jan 8, 2004
  8. Ghostmaster

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Disco Octopus" <> wrote in

    >>> your page is missing a double wuote in the source.

    >> double wuote ?????????????

    > double quote "
    >
    > in the first line

    A "double wuote," OTOH, is one of the possible units that a browser might
    assume for a CSS length value written without a unit. If the browser has
    run out of hobnobs, it might interpret "width: 50;" as "50 double wuotes
    wide."

    Eric Bohlman, Jan 8, 2004
  9. in news:Xns946A6AF57FA2ebohlmanomsdevcom@130.133.1.4,
    Eric Bohlman typed:
    > "Disco Octopus" <> wrote in

    >>> double wuote ?????????????

    >> double quote "
    >>
    >> in the first line

    > A "double wuote," OTOH, is one of the possible units that a browser
    > might assume for a CSS length value written without a unit. If the
    > browser has run out of hobnobs, it might interpret "width: 50;" as
    > "50 double wuotes wide."

    right. ok. well, there is only one double wuote missing. it is (or should
    be) on the end of the top line (line that defines the doctype)

    Disco Octopus, Jan 8, 2004
  10. in news:jbcLb.204$,
    Disco Octopus typed:
    > in news:Xns946A6AF57FA2ebohlmanomsdevcom@130.133.1.4,
    > Eric Bohlman typed:
    >> "Disco Octopus" <> wrote in

    >>> double quote "
    >>>
    >>> in the first line

    >> A "double wuote," OTOH, is one of the possible units that a browser
    >> might assume for a CSS length value written without a unit. If the
    >> browser has run out of hobnobs, it might interpret "width: 50;" as
    >> "50 double wuotes wide."

    > right. ok. well, there is only one double wuote missing. it is (or
    > should be) on the end of the top line (line that defines the doctype)

    actually. you know what. dont bother. this page is extrememly messed up, and
    I am surprised that (even in IE5.5) it displays anything at all.

    you really need to get it valid 4.01 before you make any more looky-feely
    changes.

    Disco Octopus, Jan 8, 2004
  11. Ghostmaster

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:18:33 GMT, "Ghostmaster" <>
    wrote:

    >OK i fixed the file problem, and changed the colors out. Is the colors ok?
    >The errors on the page will go bye bye as soon as i get a replacement. I
    >hope. The only link that works on the left is the Help for 95.
    >

    >http://www.learningpc4beginners.com

    It's OK, but drab. You might want to consider a different font family
    for the headings and left column links. If you do the main heading in
    a drawing program (a graphic) you can anti-alias the text and make the
    large font look a lot better appearance wise.

    Bob, Jan 8, 2004
  12. Ghostmaster

    Ghostmaster Guest

    --

    "Bob" <> wrote in
    :
    : It's OK, but drab. You might want to consider a different font family
    : for the headings and left column links. If you do the main heading in
    : a drawing program (a graphic) you can anti-alias the text and make the
    : large font look a lot better appearance wise.
    :

    A lot of times when i do stuff it is by trial and error. See the
    following...

    A:link {color: "#000000"}
    A:visited {color: "#336666"}
    A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
    A:active {color: "#800000"}
    A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}

    A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
    the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way. So do
    I have to put the font face in each link? or is their a easier way to do
    this with the above, and I just missed target setting it up?

    Ghostmaster, Jan 8, 2004
  13. Ghostmaster wrote:

    > A:link {color: "#000000"}
    > A:visited {color: "#336666"}
    > A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
    > A:active {color: "#800000"}
    > A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}

    This is very wrong. Try instead:

    a:link {
    color: #000;
    font-family: Charlesworth;
    }
    a:visited { color: #366; }
    a:hover { color: #8A2E2E; }
    a:active { color: #800000; }

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 8, 2004
  14. Ghostmaster

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:11:41 GMT, "Ghostmaster" <>
    wrote:

    >A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
    >the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way. So do
    >I have to put the font face in each link? or is their a easier way to do
    >this with the above, and I just missed target setting it up?

    As long as you understand that you are changing the font features for
    _all_ the links if you put that in a "style" section or style file...

    The problem is that the font has to be available on the user's system.
    I don't know what Charlesworth looks like, but I know I don't have it.
    You might want to specify a list of fonts for the browser to choose
    from - or bite the bullet and do graphics for each title in your
    favorite font (Charlesworth).

    Bob, Jan 8, 2004
  15. Ghostmaster

    Ghostmaster Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    : Ghostmaster wrote:
    :
    : > A:link {color: "#000000"}
    : > A:visited {color: "#336666"}
    : > A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
    : > A:active {color: "#800000"}
    : > A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}
    :
    : This is very wrong. Try instead:
    :
    : a:link {
    : color: #000;
    : font-family: Charlesworth;
    : }
    : a:visited { color: #366; }
    : a:hover { color: #8A2E2E; }
    : a:active { color: #800000; }
    :
    : --
    : Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    : Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132
    :
    I can add several fonts incase they don't have it by just putting a comma
    after each font right? or should it be a" ; "

    Ghostmaster, Jan 8, 2004
  16. Ghostmaster

    Ghostmaster Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    : On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:11:41 GMT, "Ghostmaster" <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
    : >the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way. So
    do
    : >I have to put the font face in each link? or is their a easier way to do
    : >this with the above, and I just missed target setting it up?
    :
    : As long as you understand that you are changing the font features for
    : _all_ the links if you put that in a "style" section or style file...
    :
    : The problem is that the font has to be available on the user's system.
    : I don't know what Charlesworth looks like, but I know I don't have it.
    : You might want to specify a list of fonts for the browser to choose
    : from - or bite the bullet and do graphics for each title in your
    : favorite font (Charlesworth).
    :

    I am not sure now if i want to use Charlesworth as one of the fonts... If
    you go to the page, at the bottom of the links section is a pic that says
    "guestbook" The font I used for this is Charlesworth. This font is very
    elaborate, but at the same time is crisp. However there is no lower case
    for this font. Maybe I should reserve that font, and make a extra banner
    for the top in that font? Or try it out, I am not sure. I love that font
    though.

    Ghostmaster, Jan 8, 2004
  17. Ghostmaster wrote:

    > I can add several fonts incase they don't have it by just putting a comma
    > after each font right?

    Yes, but put quote marks about fonts that have spaces in their names. eg:

    font-family: "Nimbus Sans", "Trebuchet MS", Arial, sans-serif;

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 8, 2004
  18. Ghostmaster

    Ghostmaster Guest

    Ghostmaster, Jan 8, 2004
  19. Ghostmaster

    rf Guest

    "Ghostmaster" <> wrote in message

    > --
    >

    > "Bob" <> wrote in
    > :
    > : It's OK, but drab. You might want to consider a different font family
    > : for the headings and left column links. If you do the main heading in
    > : a drawing program (a graphic) you can anti-alias the text and make the
    > : large font look a lot better appearance wise.
    > :
    >

    > A lot of times when i do stuff it is by trial and error.

    The only time when trial and error works is then you emply an infinite
    number of monkeys :)

    You should go over to the specifications at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/

    > See the
    > following...
    >
    > A:link {color: "#000000"}
    > A:visited {color: "#336666"}
    > A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
    > A:active {color: "#800000"}
    > A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}
    >
    > A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
    > the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way.

    This is correct. It is not the right way. There is no :font pseudo element.

    a {font-family: Charlesworth;}
    A:link {color: #000000}
    A:visited {color: #336666}
    A:hover {color: #8A2E2E}
    A:active {color: #800000}

    However, this won't work anyway. I don't have a font called Charlesworth on
    my computer.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 9, 2004
  20. Ghostmaster

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:26:30 GMT, Ghostmaster declared in alt.html:

    > I am not sure now if i want to use Charlesworth as one of the fonts... If
    > you go to the page, at the bottom of the links section is a pic that says
    > "guestbook" The font I used for this is Charlesworth. This font is very
    > elaborate, but at the same time is crisp. However there is no lower case
    > for this font. Maybe I should reserve that font, and make a extra banner
    > for the top in that font? Or try it out, I am not sure. I love that font
    > though.

    Judging from my own computer, and a number of other responses here, very
    few of your visitors will have that font, anyway, so they aren't going
    to get the effect that you want. If you *really* want your visitors to
    see that font, you will need to make it an image. But images of text are
    a poor replacement for real text.

    There's nothing stopping you from specifying that as the first font, but
    you shouldn't expect that your visitors will necessarily see it.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jan 9, 2004