Fixing Column Widths Permanently

DarthMcAdam

I have a datagrid that I'm using to show a list of hierarchical data,
much like a tree-view. I won't go into the detail, suffice to say that
the reason I'm doing this is because of the poor quality of the data
(imported from a legacy system) and the manner in which the database
has had to be designed to accommodate this; in no way is it ideal, but
we have no other options but to do it this way.

Anyhoo, when I expand each level (columns going left-to-right), I'm
finding that if the text in the next column is wider than the
column-width that has been set, it expands to some degree to
accommodate the text.

Does anyone know how I can possibly fix the widths to prevent them from
widening/narrowing so that the surrounding columns don't 'shift' from
right-to-left and back again?

Just so you know, I've set the following values:
ItemStyle-Width
HeaderStyle-Width
ItemStyle-CssClass (width defined in the class)

I've also tried setting text-overflow: ellipsis, but it didn't do
anything! A shame, since that would have been perfect. I've had
moderate success with Style.Add("WORD-BREAK", "break-all"), but it's
still not perfect and in any case, the results are not great.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Elton Wang

One way to workaround is to trim text to fixed length and the assign whole
text to ToolTip of the cell.

HTH