fized size record from a string

lucac81

Hello, I'm new to Ruby, and I'm learning it with a project that also
involves rails...
I'm stuck with an apparently simple problem, I receive from a form a
String and I need to extend it to a fixed char number (it must be 16
chars with eventual trailing spaces)
I've tought to convert it to an array, it's easy but I don't know how
to extend it to the needed size.
Also I could add spaces to the string, but the again how can i control
how many I need to add?
Any hint on how I could do that?
Thank you very much

Tim Hunter

lucac81 said:
Hello, I'm new to Ruby, and I'm learning it with a project that also
involves rails...
I'm stuck with an apparently simple problem, I receive from a form a
String and I need to extend it to a fixed char number (it must be 16
chars with eventual trailing spaces)

Look at the String#% method:

irb(main):003:0> "%-16s" % "123"
=> "123 "

This won't work if the original string is longer than 16, though. In
that case you just a copy of the original string.

dkmd_nielsen

Hello, I'm new to Ruby, and I'm learning it with a project that also
involves rails...
I'm stuck with an apparently simple problem, I receive from a form a
String and I need to extend it to a fixed char number (it must be 16
chars with eventual trailing spaces)
I've tought to convert it to an array, it's easy but I don't know how
to extend it to the needed size.
Also I could add spaces to the string, but the again how can i control
how many I need to add?
Any hint on how I could do that?
Thank you very much

Simple, not very intelligent way could be

('string' + '-'*30)[0..16]

lucac81

Hello, I'm new to Ruby, and I'm learning it with a project that also
involves rails...
I'm stuck with an apparently simple problem, I receive from a form a
String and I need to extend it to a fixed char number (it must be 16
chars with eventual trailing spaces)
I've tought to convert it to an array, it's easy but I don't know how
to extend it to the needed size.
Also I could add spaces to the string, but the again how can i control
how many I need to add?
Any hint on how I could do that?
Thank you very much

Uhmm I just found how to achieve this... using the ljust method of the
String class...

str.ljust(integer, padstr=' ') => new_str

If integer is greater than the length of str, returns a new String of
length integer with str left justified and padded with padstr;
otherwise, returns str.

"hello".ljust(4) #=> "hello"
"hello".ljust(20) #=> "hello "
"hello".ljust(20, '1234') #=> "hello123412341234123"

this solves my problem, and there is the rjust method that works fine
on the other side (I need that too)

Rob Biedenharn

Hello, I'm new to Ruby, and I'm learning it with a project that also
involves rails...
I'm stuck with an apparently simple problem, I receive from a form a
String and I need to extend it to a fixed char number (it must be 16
chars with eventual trailing spaces)
I've tought to convert it to an array, it's easy but I don't know how
to extend it to the needed size.
Also I could add spaces to the string, but the again how can i control
how many I need to add?
Any hint on how I could do that?
Thank you very much

irb> str = "too short"
=> "too short"
irb> lng = "this one is big enough"
=> "this one is big enough"

With Kernel#sprintf (which String#% calls)
irb> "%-16.16s"%str
=> "too short "
irb> "%-16.16s"%lng
=> "this one is big "

With String#ljust
irb> str.ljust(16)
=> "too short "
irb> lng.ljust(16)
=> "this one is big enough"

With String#[] (not what you want for short ones)
irb> str[0,16]
=> "too short"
irb> lng[0,16]
=> "this one is big "