flaky rollover script

Steven Daedelus

Hey folks,

Can someone take a look at this page and tell me what's up:

http://caraher.org/

You'll notice that the "links" button, which has a rollover script
attached, doesn't work. I've stared at it for far too long and can't
spot the problem. It's out-of-the-box Dreamweaver code, as I was not
getting paid enough to do any custom work here, but I've never had any
serious trouble with Dreamweaver's code before. In any case, the other
rollovers work. I can't figure out what is different about this one.

Thanks ahead...

stedae

Steven Daedelus

John said:
in Mozilla JavaScript Console, I get "Error: preLoadImages is not defined"

Yeah, I noticed that too. That shouldn't make any difference to the
rollovers, though, especially since only one of them doesn't work
properly.

stedae

John

Yeah, I noticed that too. That shouldn't make any difference to the
rollovers, though, especially since only one of them doesn't work
properly.

stedae

I'm pretty sure the rest of the onLoad won't run, therefore the preloads
won't occur. Don't know how that would effect the rollover code, haven't
really looked at the code in detail ... would removing the
"preLoadImages()" call in the body onload be too difficult?

Steven Daedelus

Robert said:
Well, if the function isn't defined the onload instance stops and your
rollovers don't get loaded. I don't know why one works.

The home page has:
onload="preloadImages();MM_preloadImages ...

but a lower page such as http://caraher.org/links.html has:

onload="MM_preloadImages ...

Try deleting preloadImages();

I haven't tried this.

Robert

But my point is that failure to preload the images doesn't make any
difference to the rollover script. The preload script simply causes the
images to be cached. If it fails, the rollover still works, but the
images have to be loaded when the rollover is called.

In any case, I fixed this and it didn't make a difference.

John

But my point is that failure to preload the images doesn't make any
difference to the rollover script. The preload script simply causes
the images to be cached. If it fails, the rollover still works, but
the images have to be loaded when the rollover is called.

In any case, I fixed this and it didn't make a difference.

Sorry, I didn't read your reply properly ;-)

Michael Winter

[snip]
You'll notice that the "links" button, which has a rollover script
attached, doesn't work. I've stared at it for far too long and can't
spot the problem. It's out-of-the-box Dreamweaver code, as I was not
getting paid enough to do any custom work here, but I've never had any
serious trouble with Dreamweaver's code before. In any case, the other
rollovers work. I can't figure out what is different about this one.

The only problem I have is with the call to the non-existant
preloadImages() function onload. All six rollovers work fine.

Opera 7.23/Win

Mike

Steven Daedelus

Michael Winter said:
[snip]
You'll notice that the "links" button, which has a rollover script
attached, doesn't work. I've stared at it for far too long and can't
spot the problem. It's out-of-the-box Dreamweaver code, as I was not
getting paid enough to do any custom work here, but I've never had any
serious trouble with Dreamweaver's code before. In any case, the other
rollovers work. I can't figure out what is different about this one.

The only problem I have is with the call to the non-existant
preloadImages() function onload. All six rollovers work fine.

Opera 7.23/Win

Mike

Really? That's odd. I've tried it on three machines and half a dozen
browsers and it's still messed up. How weird is that?

Steven Daedelus

John said:
Sorry, I didn't read your reply properly ;-)

Quite alright. I probably should have removed the red herrings before I
posted the original question ;)

stedae