Flash 8 not appearing in plugins list on Netscape 8

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by dscriv@gmail.com, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I have Netscape 8.0.4 (in Firefox mode) and Flash 8.0.24.0.
    I also have IE and Firefox installed.
    If I go to this page, which contains a Flash detection movie:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15507
    all three browers successfully run the Flash movie and show the same
    version of Flash to be installed.

    However, if I try to use a javascript Flash detection solution, it does
    not work under Netscape. Most of these scripts seem to work by looking
    for "Shockwave Flash" in the array navigator.plugins. However, if I
    iterate throught the array and write them to my document, with Firefox
    the "Shockwave Flash" entry appears, but with Netscape it is missing
    (all the others are the same as in Firefox). Even Macromedia's own
    Flash Detection Kit, under its Javascript implementation, seems to
    think that I don't have Flash installed when I run it under Netscape.

    Macromedia's Flash Detection Kit contains the following javascript,
    which is used when the browser is Netscape or Firefox:
    if (navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash 2.0"] ||
    navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash"]) {
    var swVer2 = navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash 2.0"] ? " 2.0"
    : "";
    var flashDescription = navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash" +
    swVer2].description;

    It then goes on to determine the Flash version by parsing the variable
    flashDescription.

    My iteration code is as follows:
    for (var j = 0; j < navigator.plugins.length; ++j) {
    document.write(navigator.plugins[j].name+ "<br>");

    In IE, this does nothing as IE does not populate this array. However
    Netscape is supposed to, and the Flash Detection Kit seems to depend on
    this, as do other scripts that I have seen. Netscape does in fact
    populate the list with many items, but seems to omit Flash.

    Does anyone know what is causing this, and what I need to do to
    overcome the problem?

    , Jun 16, 2006

  2. cwdjrxyz Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have Netscape 8.0.4 (in Firefox mode) and Flash 8.0.24.0.
    > I also have IE and Firefox installed.
    > If I go to this page, which contains a Flash detection movie:
    > http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15507
    > all three browers successfully run the Flash movie and show the same
    > version of Flash to be installed.
    >
    > However, if I try to use a javascript Flash detection solution, it does
    > not work under Netscape. Most of these scripts seem to work by looking
    > for "Shockwave Flash" in the array navigator.plugins. However, if I
    > iterate throught the array and write them to my document, with Firefox
    > the "Shockwave Flash" entry appears, but with Netscape it is missing
    > (all the others are the same as in Firefox). Even Macromedia's own
    > Flash Detection Kit, under its Javascript implementation, seems to
    > think that I don't have Flash installed when I run it under Netscape.

    I used to use script methods to detect versions of various players, but
    I quit doing this quite a while back. If I feel that a viewer
    absolutely must see a flash, WMP, or other display that requires a
    player with at least a certain version, I just add a statement and link
    to the player site under the player. Many people are not going to
    bother to update anyway unless the contents shown by the player are
    very important to them and they feel they must view it. The problem you
    describe comes up again and again for various players when they are
    updated. I had a script to detect the WMP version that came from
    Microsoft, but it failed at one WMP update, for example. I now remove
    all links to the player site in the object code for the player to
    prevent the type of problem you describe. Also when writing my own page
    with a player, I often use the next to last player version unless the
    new version has something I have to use. When the new version has been
    around about a year, I may start using it on my pages, if needed. If
    one does use player version detection, one should carefully check their
    pages using it at every player version upgrade and at every major
    browser upgrade. This can be a lot of work, and I usually can not
    justify it. Perhaps others can.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 16, 2006