Flash interface with business logic in JAVA?

Discussion in 'Java' started by tnorgd, Nov 3, 2009.

  1. tnorgd

    tnorgd Guest

    Hi,

    I need to prepare a web-based interface for a Java application. One of
    the options is to make an applet, but we also consider a Flash movie
    clip. So here are my questions:

    1) What is the easiest way for Flash to talk to Java process? I've
    found about some XML-based solutions but it looks a little messy... Is
    there any better option?

    2) So far the Java part runs as a stand-alone application. It will be
    set up on an application server, but we need also a version for client
    in-house installation. How to make it as easy as possible for the
    _end_user_ to install the software? Ideally, one should be able to
    download a file, double click on it and then open a web-browser and
    has it ready under some address.

    Many thanks for help,
    Dominik

    tnorgd, Nov 3, 2009

  2. tnorgd

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    tnorgd wrote:
    > I need to prepare a web-based interface for a Java application. One of
    > the options is to make an applet, but we also consider a Flash movie
    > clip. So here are my questions:
    >
    > 1) What is the easiest way for Flash to talk to Java process? I've
    > found about some XML-based solutions but it looks a little messy... Is
    > there any better option?
    >
    > 2) So far the Java part runs as a stand-alone application. It will be
    > set up on an application server, but we need also a version for client
    > in-house installation. How to make it as easy as possible for the
    > _end_user_ to install the software? Ideally, one should be able to
    > download a file, double click on it and then open a web-browser and
    > has it ready under some address.

    I think Adobe's solution is:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 3, 2009

  3. tnorgd

    markspace Guest

    tnorgd wrote:

    > 2) So far the Java part runs as a stand-alone application. It will be
    > set up on an application server, but we need also a version for client
    > in-house installation. How to make it as easy as possible for the
    > _end_user_ to install the software? Ideally, one should be able to
    > download a file, double click on it and then open a web-browser and
    > has it ready under some address.

    How about Drag To Install?

    <http://channelsun.sun.com/video/demo:+drag-to-install/3864273001>

    markspace, Nov 3, 2009
  4. tnorgd

    ck Guest

    On Nov 3, 7:53 am, tnorgd <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to prepare a web-based interface for a Java application. One of
    > the options is to make an applet, but we also consider a Flash movie
    > clip. So here are my questions:
    >
    > 1) What is the easiest way for Flash to talk to Java process? I've
    > found about some XML-based solutions but it looks a little messy... Is
    > there any better option?

    If you are looking for a typical web application, where client
    interacts via browser, flex should fit in good. Although, using xml
    for client server interaction is a standard practice. If you find it
    messy, I would say its matter of getting use to the paradigm. Using
    XML for interaction is what adobe flex advocates. Take a look at
    http://www.adobe.com/products/air/develop/flex/
    Browser would need Flash player installed.

    > 2) So far the Java part runs as a stand-alone application. It will be
    > set up on an application server, but we need also a version for client
    > in-house installation. How to make it as easy as possible for the
    > _end_user_ to install the software? Ideally, one should be able to
    > download a file, double click on it and then open a web-browser and
    > has it ready under some address.

    If you are looking for a standalone desktop application which can run
    without browser, then take a look at adobe air http://www.adobe.com/products/air/
    Client would need adobe air runtime for this.
    --
    Ck
    http://chandankumar.com

    ck, Nov 3, 2009
  5. Hi Dominik,

    "tnorgd" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to prepare a web-based interface for a Java application. One of
    > the options is to make an applet, but we also consider a Flash movie
    > clip. So here are my questions:
    >
    > 1) What is the easiest way for Flash to talk to Java process? I've
    > found about some XML-based solutions but it looks a little messy... Is
    > there any better option?

    I realy, realy suggest using Javascript as the glue between your Java
    Applets and you Flex/MXML.

    Look up the Adobe "FABridge" functionality. I used to have IMnsHO a very
    good example of a web-page using an Applet-based TCP/IP socket in Javascript
    to populate a Flex DataSource/Collection. (Well I still have it but alas it
    is no longer publicly hosted :-( )

    Anyway this *is* the mut's nuts! JAVA objects? Flex objects? Javascript does
    it all!

    Sadly, the web available examples were done away with when Adobe (in all its
    wisdom) said "It's in the FlexBuilder product; get it there" :-(

    > 2) So far the Java part runs as a stand-alone application. It will be
    > set up on an application server, but we need also a version for client
    > in-house installation. How to make it as easy as possible for the
    > _end_user_ to install the software? Ideally, one should be able to
    > download a file, double click on it and then open a web-browser and
    > has it ready under some address.
    >
    > Many thanks for help,
    > Dominik

    Cheers Richard Maher

    PS. Silverlight also has a HTML Bridge (I think that's what it's called?)
    and also gives you Socket access(1)

    1. Sockets of a fashion. Nothing gives you the browser-based, (almost)
    full-blown TCP/IP Socket access that JAVA does! Then there's also UDP! (and
    why can't unsigned applets receive muticast messages via an unsigned
    applet?)

    Richard Maher, Nov 3, 2009