Flash with server side java

Discussion in 'Java' started by soup_or_power@yahoo.com, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Feb 28, 2006

  2. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:02:22 -0000,
    <> wrote:

    > Hello
    > Can someone please post a "hello world" app with Flash and server side
    > Java? I tried reading the following document on macromedia site and it
    > flew over my head.
    >
    > http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/blackboard/articles/flash_remoting_design_4.0.html

    What are you trying to achieve? Flash can make HTTP(S) requests to a
    server and can open persistent connections (XML sockets). In either case
    it is ignorant of whether the server is Java or something else. If this
    is what you want to do, ask on a Flash groups, they'll give you a better
    answer than you'll get here.

    "Flash Remoting" is something else that requires a Macromedia component on
    the server side. Apparently it can integrate with JMS.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk
    Daniel Dyer, Feb 28, 2006

    Hi Daniel
    I posted my query in macromedia.flash and it has no replies. At the url
    I posted the macromedia people explain how to bridge flash on browser
    with java on the backend. But it has too much verbiage. I also think
    they have purposefully left out the intricate details to force the
    readers to buy books on flash(java integration). Sun also plays this
    game with Java. Anyway, at this time I am willing to buy a book. May be
    someone can post the titles of books on Flash with emphasis on Java.

    Thanks
    , Mar 2, 2006
  4. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:39:45 -0000,
    <> wrote:

    > Hi Daniel
    > I posted my query in macromedia.flash and it has no replies. At the url
    > I posted the macromedia people explain how to bridge flash on browser
    > with java on the backend. But it has too much verbiage. I also think
    > they have purposefully left out the intricate details to force the
    > readers to buy books on flash(java integration). Sun also plays this
    > game with Java. Anyway, at this time I am willing to buy a book. May be
    > someone can post the titles of books on Flash with emphasis on Java.

    That link was talking about a product called "Flash Remoting", which is an
    expensive server-side component from Macromedia. You don't say what you
    are trying to develop but I doubt you need Flash Remoting.

    You need to write a Java server that listens on a socket and a Flash
    client that opens a socket connection to a server. If you are having
    trouble with writing a Java server, that's something we can help you
    with. The development of the server is completely independent of whether
    you are writing the client in Flash, Java, C++ or any other language.

    If you are having problems writing the Flash client, that's probably
    something that you will need to find out elsewhere. Again, the client
    development is completely independent of whether the server is written in
    Java, C# or any other language. You need to search for "XML Sockets",
    which is the Flash component that you will be using. I'm not a Flash
    expert, but I'm lead to believe that you can send any textual data down
    the XML socket, it doesn't have to be well-formed XML.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk