Flash with server side java

Daniel Dyer

Hello
Can someone please post a "hello world" app with Flash and server side
Java? I tried reading the following document on macromedia site and it
flew over my head.

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/blackboard/articles/flash_remoting_design_4.0.html

What are you trying to achieve? Flash can make HTTP(S) requests to a
server and can open persistent connections (XML sockets). In either case
it is ignorant of whether the server is Java or something else. If this
is what you want to do, ask on a Flash groups, they'll give you a better
answer than you'll get here.

"Flash Remoting" is something else that requires a Macromedia component on
the server side. Apparently it can integrate with JMS.

Dan.

soup_or_power

Hi Daniel
I posted my query in macromedia.flash and it has no replies. At the url
I posted the macromedia people explain how to bridge flash on browser
with java on the backend. But it has too much verbiage. I also think
they have purposefully left out the intricate details to force the
readers to buy books on flash(java integration). Sun also plays this
game with Java. Anyway, at this time I am willing to buy a book. May be
someone can post the titles of books on Flash with emphasis on Java.

Thanks

Daniel Dyer

Hi Daniel
I posted my query in macromedia.flash and it has no replies. At the url
I posted the macromedia people explain how to bridge flash on browser
with java on the backend. But it has too much verbiage. I also think
they have purposefully left out the intricate details to force the
readers to buy books on flash(java integration). Sun also plays this
game with Java. Anyway, at this time I am willing to buy a book. May be
someone can post the titles of books on Flash with emphasis on Java.

That link was talking about a product called "Flash Remoting", which is an
expensive server-side component from Macromedia. You don't say what you
are trying to develop but I doubt you need Flash Remoting.

You need to write a Java server that listens on a socket and a Flash
client that opens a socket connection to a server. If you are having
trouble with writing a Java server, that's something we can help you
with. The development of the server is completely independent of whether
you are writing the client in Flash, Java, C++ or any other language.

If you are having problems writing the Flash client, that's probably
something that you will need to find out elsewhere. Again, the client
development is completely independent of whether the server is written in
Java, C# or any other language. You need to search for "XML Sockets",
which is the Flash component that you will be using. I'm not a Flash
expert, but I'm lead to believe that you can send any textual data down
the XML socket, it doesn't have to be well-formed XML.

Dan.