Flash XMLSocket class to ASP.NET? Am I crazy?

Bruce W.1

I want to put a live connection in a web page to periodically updated
data. When the data changes, the server notifys the client and gives
the new data. The client does not regularly refresh the page. The
client responds to server-side events only. The screen display changes
without any user interaction.

An application like this might be a chat, stock ticker, or data
inventory.

Sofar as I can tell nothing in the .NET framework can do this. The only
things that can do this are Java Applets and Macromedia Flash. Nobody
does Java Applets anymore, and Flash players are pretty widespread.

Flash has an XMLSocket class:
http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Flash/XML-Sockets-in-Flash/
that seems like it might do the job. It can maintain a persistent
socket connection. I could make a little Flash DataGrid.

Of course I'd have to write something on the IIS and ASP.NET side to do
the same thing. This is one thing I know that might be perilous,
getting Macromedia to talk to Microsoft. But maybe this XML stuff will
make it all work.

Another lingering question is how many socket connections can a joe
average server handle, or what's the limit? Are socket connections
practical for 10, 100, or 1000 clients?

Am I crazy to attempt this connection?

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

Bruce W.1 said:
I want to put a live connection in a web page to periodically updated
data. When the data changes, the server notifys the client and gives
the new data. The client does not regularly refresh the page. The
client responds to server-side events only. The screen display changes
without any user interaction.

HTTP is pull only - you CANNOT push unless:

a) you open a socket, which in most cases permissions and firewalls will stop
you.

b) you keep the HTTP connection "stuck" and feed down data but this fights
with proxies and has other issues.