Flash??

dorayme

Phillip Mann said:
How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
to open.

Please do not post back and say you are not kidding... 110 MB!
But seriously, I guess there might be a way via a streaming
server?

Blinky the Shark

Phillip said:
yow do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I
have a swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the
110 meg file to open.

Obvious Answer: Don't embed ridiculously large files.

cwdjrxyz

How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
to open.

If you use the relatively new FLV/SWF method, you can open the video
at any time you wish. The flash consists of 2 files that are linked
internally and are created at the same time from a master video that
might be a high resolution mpg or some other high quality file. You
can create the flash at a bit rate suited for your application. In
this case, the . swf file contains only a flv player, controls, logos,
etc and thus is quite small and opens nearly at once. The flv(flash
video) that is created at the same time as a file linked to the swf is
the actual video. You have a swf file and the linked flv file on the
server in the same directory. You only have to call the swf as usual
on the web page. When someone views the page the small swf file that
contains the player comes up very soon, and the flv is automatically
being downloaded to the browser temporary cache. If you create
controls with play buttons to start, you can start the video nearly at
once. However if your download speed can not keep up with the bitrate
required for the video, the video will pause to allow buffering time
to download more video so playback can begin again. You can also
include a status bar in the swf player to see how the download is
going in relation to the playback. See http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/VTS_01_1_NEW.swf
for a short demo. This method is now being widely used by many large
sites such as MySpace, Google, YouTube, news sites etc.

I don't think you can stream anything of DVD quality, because this
requires a reliable download rate of over 10 Mbps for a typical
commerical movie quality DVD. Very few will have a broadband
connection fast enough to handle that, and even if you did network
congestion and server overload could greatly reduce the actual
download rate. . Thus, for any type of movie streaming, much
compression of the video is required if you want streaming to start in
a reasonable time and continue without stopping to buffer.

Phillip Mann

I converted a VOB file to a SWF file and placed it on the web page as:

<embed src="VIDEO_TS/picking.swf" width="100%" height="100%"
autostart="true"></embed>

The page opens with the black screen but I have to wait 5 or 6 minutes
for the picture and audio to start.

Any suggestions?

[...]

www.BluegrassBanjo.com
www.BluegrassBanjo.org

cwdjrxyz

I converted a VOB file to a SWF file and placed it on the web page as:

<embed src="VIDEO_TS/picking.swf" width="100%" height="100%"
autostart="true"></embed>

The page opens with the black screen but I have to wait 5 or 6 minutes
for the picture and audio to start.

Any suggestions?

I often store some of my video as normal DVD files and then use a
program to edit out a portion of one of the vob files I want to use.
There are many programs that will convert various file types,
including vob, to flash. However they must allow you to select a bit
rate for the converted old fashioned swf video file or the flv in the
newer flv/swf method that I illustrated. It sounds as if you used an
old fashioned swf at full vob bitrate. You must select a much lower
bit rate if you expect the file to start playing in a reasonable time
if you use the old fashioned swf video file method. In the case of
using the newer flv/swf method with start button I illustrated, if you
do not convert to a reasonable bit rate for the web, you can start
playing quite soon, but download to the temporary browser cache can
not keep up with the bit rate demanded by the video, so the video will
pause one or more times to allow more download before playing starts
again. The reason you have to wait so long is that your possible
download rate is far lower than the over 10 Mbps required to keep up
with a high quality DVD vob file bitrate. You likely must use another
program to convert to flash that allows you to select bitrate of the
converted flash video if your present program does not.

Travis Newbury

How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
to open.

There is NEVER a reason for a 110meg Flash file. Fire your Flash
person, he/she/they don't have a clue. Hire someone that knows what
they are doing.

Bernhard Sturm

Phillip said:
I installed it. It don't work. Says I need JAVA installed so I
reinstalled it and checked all the JAVA boxes in the browser Internet
Files. Rebooted twice and it just don't work.
possibly it needs Java, and you seem to have been checking the boxes for
JavaScript, an entirely different kind of animal. I assume you will have
to install a Java enigne for your application.

HTH
bernhard