Flash??

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Phillip Mann, Jun 2, 2007.

  1. Phillip Mann

    Phillip Mann Guest

    How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
    swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
    to open.

    Phil

    www.BluegrassBanjo.com
    www.BluegrassBanjo.org

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    Phillip Mann, Jun 2, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Phillip Mann

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Phillip Mann <> wrote:

    > How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
    > swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
    > to open.


    Please do not post back and say you are not kidding... 110 MB!
    But seriously, I guess there might be a way via a streaming
    server?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 3, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Phillip Mann wrote:

    > yow do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I
    > have a swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the
    > 110 meg file to open.


    Obvious Answer: Don't embed ridiculously large files.


    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups
    Details: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 3, 2007
    #3
  4. Phillip Mann

    Phillip Mann Guest

    On 2 Jun 2007 23:50:25 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >Phillip Mann wrote:
    >
    >> yow do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I
    >> have a swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the
    >> 110 meg file to open.

    >
    >Obvious Answer: Don't embed ridiculously large files.


    It's a DVD. Other sites do it.

    Phil

    www.BluegrassBanjo.com
    www.BluegrassBanjo.org

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    Phillip Mann, Jun 3, 2007
    #4
  5. Phillip Mann

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jun 2, 4:40 pm, Phillip Mann <> wrote:
    > How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
    > swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
    > to open.



    If you use the relatively new FLV/SWF method, you can open the video
    at any time you wish. The flash consists of 2 files that are linked
    internally and are created at the same time from a master video that
    might be a high resolution mpg or some other high quality file. You
    can create the flash at a bit rate suited for your application. In
    this case, the . swf file contains only a flv player, controls, logos,
    etc and thus is quite small and opens nearly at once. The flv(flash
    video) that is created at the same time as a file linked to the swf is
    the actual video. You have a swf file and the linked flv file on the
    server in the same directory. You only have to call the swf as usual
    on the web page. When someone views the page the small swf file that
    contains the player comes up very soon, and the flv is automatically
    being downloaded to the browser temporary cache. If you create
    controls with play buttons to start, you can start the video nearly at
    once. However if your download speed can not keep up with the bitrate
    required for the video, the video will pause to allow buffering time
    to download more video so playback can begin again. You can also
    include a status bar in the swf player to see how the download is
    going in relation to the playback. See http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/VTS_01_1_NEW.swf
    for a short demo. This method is now being widely used by many large
    sites such as MySpace, Google, YouTube, news sites etc.

    I don't think you can stream anything of DVD quality, because this
    requires a reliable download rate of over 10 Mbps for a typical
    commerical movie quality DVD. Very few will have a broadband
    connection fast enough to handle that, and even if you did network
    congestion and server overload could greatly reduce the actual
    download rate. . Thus, for any type of movie streaming, much
    compression of the video is required if you want streaming to start in
    a reasonable time and continue without stopping to buffer.
    cwdjrxyz, Jun 3, 2007
    #5
  6. Phillip Mann

    Phillip Mann Guest

    I converted a VOB file to a SWF file and placed it on the web page as:

    <embed src="VIDEO_TS/picking.swf" width="100%" height="100%"
    autostart="true"></embed>

    The page opens with the black screen but I have to wait 5 or 6 minutes
    for the picture and audio to start.

    Any suggestions?

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 21:07:24 -0700, cwdjrxyz <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 2, 4:40 pm, Phillip Mann <> wrote:
    >> How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
    >> swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
    >> to open.

    >
    >
    >If you use the relatively new FLV/SWF method, you can open the video
    >at any time you wish. The flash consists of 2 files that are linked
    >internally and are created at the same time from a master video that
    >might be a high resolution mpg or some other high quality file. You
    >can create the flash at a bit rate suited for your application. In
    >this case, the . swf file contains only a flv player, controls, logos,
    >etc and thus is quite small and opens nearly at once. The flv(flash
    >video) that is created at the same time as a file linked to the swf is
    >the actual video. You have a swf file and the linked flv file on the
    >server in the same directory. You only have to call the swf as usual
    >on the web page. When someone views the page the small swf file that
    >contains the player comes up very soon, and the flv is automatically
    >being downloaded to the browser temporary cache. If you create
    >controls with play buttons to start, you can start the video nearly at
    >once. However if your download speed can not keep up with the bitrate
    >required for the video, the video will pause to allow buffering time
    >to download more video so playback can begin again. You can also
    >include a status bar in the swf player to see how the download is
    >going in relation to the playback. See http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/VTS_01_1_NEW.swf
    >for a short demo. This method is now being widely used by many large
    >sites such as MySpace, Google, YouTube, news sites etc.
    >
    >I don't think you can stream anything of DVD quality, because this
    >requires a reliable download rate of over 10 Mbps for a typical
    >commerical movie quality DVD. Very few will have a broadband
    >connection fast enough to handle that, and even if you did network
    >congestion and server overload could greatly reduce the actual
    >download rate. . Thus, for any type of movie streaming, much
    >compression of the video is required if you want streaming to start in
    >a reasonable time and continue without stopping to buffer.
    >



    Phil

    www.BluegrassBanjo.com
    www.BluegrassBanjo.org

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    Phillip Mann, Jun 3, 2007
    #6
  7. Phillip Mann

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jun 3, 6:57 am, Phillip Mann <> wrote:
    > I converted a VOB file to a SWF file and placed it on the web page as:
    >
    > <embed src="VIDEO_TS/picking.swf" width="100%" height="100%"
    > autostart="true"></embed>
    >
    > The page opens with the black screen but I have to wait 5 or 6 minutes
    > for the picture and audio to start.
    >
    > Any suggestions?


    I often store some of my video as normal DVD files and then use a
    program to edit out a portion of one of the vob files I want to use.
    There are many programs that will convert various file types,
    including vob, to flash. However they must allow you to select a bit
    rate for the converted old fashioned swf video file or the flv in the
    newer flv/swf method that I illustrated. It sounds as if you used an
    old fashioned swf at full vob bitrate. You must select a much lower
    bit rate if you expect the file to start playing in a reasonable time
    if you use the old fashioned swf video file method. In the case of
    using the newer flv/swf method with start button I illustrated, if you
    do not convert to a reasonable bit rate for the web, you can start
    playing quite soon, but download to the temporary browser cache can
    not keep up with the bit rate demanded by the video, so the video will
    pause one or more times to allow more download before playing starts
    again. The reason you have to wait so long is that your possible
    download rate is far lower than the over 10 Mbps required to keep up
    with a high quality DVD vob file bitrate. You likely must use another
    program to convert to flash that allows you to select bitrate of the
    converted flash video if your present program does not.

    > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 21:07:24 -0700, cwdjrxyz <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > >On Jun 2, 4:40 pm, Phillip Mann <> wrote:
    > >> How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
    > >> swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
    > >> to open.

    >
    > >If you use the relatively new FLV/SWF method, you can open the video
    > >at any time you wish. The flash consists of 2 files that are linked
    > >internally and are created at the same time from a master video that
    > >might be a high resolution mpg or some other high quality file. You
    > >can create the flash at a bit rate suited for your application. In
    > >this case, the . swf file contains only a flv player, controls, logos,
    > >etc and thus is quite small and opens nearly at once. The flv(flash
    > >video) that is created at the same time as a file linked to the swf is
    > >the actual video. You have a swf file and the linked flv file on the
    > >server in the same directory. You only have to call the swf as usual
    > >on the web page. When someone views the page the small swf file that
    > >contains the player comes up very soon, and the flv is automatically
    > >being downloaded to the browser temporary cache. If you create
    > >controls with play buttons to start, you can start the video nearly at
    > >once. However if your download speed can not keep up with the bitrate
    > >required for the video, the video will pause to allow buffering time
    > >to download more video so playback can begin again. You can also
    > >include a status bar in the swf player to see how the download is
    > >going in relation to the playback. Seehttp://www.cwdjr.net/flash/VTS_01_1_NEW.swf
    > >for a short demo. This method is now being widely used by many large
    > >sites such as MySpace, Google, YouTube, news sites etc.

    >
    > >I don't think you can stream anything of DVD quality, because this
    > >requires a reliable download rate of over 10 Mbps for a typical
    > >commerical movie quality DVD. Very few will have a broadband
    > >connection fast enough to handle that, and even if you did network
    > >congestion and server overload could greatly reduce the actual
    > >download rate. . Thus, for any type of movie streaming, much
    > >compression of the video is required if you want streaming to start in
    > >a reasonable time and continue without stopping to buffer.

    >
    > Phil
    >
    > www.BluegrassBanjo.comwww.BluegrassBanjo.org
    >
    > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    cwdjrxyz, Jun 3, 2007
    #7
  8. On Jun 2, 5:40 pm, Phillip Mann <> wrote:
    > How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
    > swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
    > to open.


    There is NEVER a reason for a 110meg Flash file. Fire your Flash
    person, he/she/they don't have a clue. Hire someone that knows what
    they are doing.
    Travis Newbury, Jun 4, 2007
    #8
  9. Phillip Mann

    Phillip Mann Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:54:33 -0700, Travis Newbury
    <> wrote:

    >On Jun 2, 5:40 pm, Phillip Mann <> wrote:
    >> How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
    >> swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
    >> to open.

    >
    >There is NEVER a reason for a 110meg Flash file. Fire your Flash
    >person, he/she/they don't have a clue. Hire someone that knows what
    >they are doing.


    Hey, I am the guy....trying to learn what and how to do it.

    My file is at http://www.bluegrassbanjo.org/earls_test.html

    Phil

    www.BluegrassBanjo.com
    www.BluegrassBanjo.org

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    Phillip Mann, Jun 4, 2007
    #9
  10. Phillip Mann

    bsa Guest

    Philip,
    using VideoVista no problem for time, MB or anythingelse

    http://www.vista.it/cont.php?menu=0309

    Let me know

    Fabio



    On Jun 4, 2:27 pm, Phillip Mann <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:54:33 -0700, Travis Newbury
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >On Jun 2, 5:40 pm, Phillip Mann <> wrote:
    > >> How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
    > >> swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
    > >> to open.

    >
    > >There is NEVER a reason for a 110meg Flash file. Fire your Flash
    > >person, he/she/they don't have a clue. Hire someone that knows what
    > >they are doing.

    >
    > Hey, I am the guy....trying to learn what and how to do it.
    >
    > My file is athttp://www.bluegrassbanjo.org/earls_test.html
    >
    > Phil
    >
    > www.BluegrassBanjo.comwww.BluegrassBanjo.org
    >
    > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    bsa, Jun 4, 2007
    #10
  11. Phillip Mann

    Phillip Mann Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 07:40:00 -0700, bsa <> wrote:

    >Philip,
    >using VideoVista no problem for time, MB or anythingelse
    >
    >http://www.vista.it/cont.php?menu=0309
    >
    >Let me know
    >
    >Fabio


    I installed it. It don't work. Says I need JAVA installed so I
    reinstalled it and checked all the JAVA boxes in the browser Internet
    Files. Rebooted twice and it just don't work.



    >
    >
    >On Jun 4, 2:27 pm, Phillip Mann <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:54:33 -0700, Travis Newbury
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >On Jun 2, 5:40 pm, Phillip Mann <> wrote:
    >> >> How do I put a swf or avi picture on a page that opens FAST? I have a
    >> >> swf file embedded on a page but it takes FOREVER for the 110 meg file
    >> >> to open.

    >>
    >> >There is NEVER a reason for a 110meg Flash file. Fire your Flash
    >> >person, he/she/they don't have a clue. Hire someone that knows what
    >> >they are doing.

    >>
    >> Hey, I am the guy....trying to learn what and how to do it.
    >>
    >> My file is athttp://www.bluegrassbanjo.org/earls_test.html
    >>
    >> Phil
    >>
    >> www.BluegrassBanjo.comwww.BluegrassBanjo.org
    >>
    >> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

    >



    Phil

    www.BluegrassBanjo.com
    www.BluegrassBanjo.org

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    Phillip Mann, Jun 4, 2007
    #11
  12. Phillip Mann wrote:

    >
    > I installed it. It don't work. Says I need JAVA installed so I
    > reinstalled it and checked all the JAVA boxes in the browser Internet
    > Files. Rebooted twice and it just don't work.
    >

    possibly it needs Java, and you seem to have been checking the boxes for
    JavaScript, an entirely different kind of animal. I assume you will have
    to install a Java enigne for your application.

    HTH
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Jun 4, 2007
    #12
  13. Phillip Mann

    Phillip Mann Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 07:40:00 -0700, bsa <> wrote:

    >Philip,
    >using VideoVista no problem for time, MB or anythingelse
    >
    >http://www.vista.it/cont.php?menu=0309
    >
    >Let me know
    >
    >Fabio


    Video Vista has GREAT Tech Support.

    Phil

    www.BluegrassBanjo.com
    www.BluegrassBanjo.org

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    Phillip Mann, Jun 4, 2007
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. jaap de verwant slachter
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,263
    jaap de verwant slachter
    Jul 1, 2003
  2. hamilton
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    768
    hamilton
    Apr 1, 2004
  3. Bernie
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    546
    Bernie
    Sep 5, 2004
  4. Jim Higson
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    511
    Jim Higson
    Sep 21, 2004
  5. Replies:
    8
    Views:
    23,506
    SABOND21
    Feb 9, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page