Flat file database that supports mulitiple lines, embedded commas, etc.

Darrell L. Schmitt

I'm looking for a CSV type flat-file database. This is for a text entry
"logbook" that will have 3 major fields. Each field may contain up to 2048
ASCII characters including commas, quotation marks, and newline characters.

Does such a beast already exist? This must be able to run on Perl 5.0 (no
Tk).

Bob Walton

Darrell said:
I'm looking for a CSV type flat-file database. This is for a text entry

Check out:

use DBI;

along with DBD::CSV . That will permit the use of SQL on CSV files
containing header lines which give the field names. And, even though
the CSV files are flat, you can still use sets of them like a relational
database. Cool but maybe slow.

Alternatively, you might also check out:

use Text::CSV_XS;

or

use Text::Balanced;

and, indeed, anything on CPAN that contains CSV.

"logbook" that will have 3 major fields. Each field may contain up to 2048
ASCII characters including commas, quotation marks, and newline characters.

Does such a beast already exist? This must be able to run on Perl 5.0 (no
Tk).

Perl 5.0? Do you maybe mean 5.8.0? Or 5.005? (the latter is really
quite ancient by now). I can't image what your question would have to
do with anything in Tk, or why it would be important whether Tk is
installed/used or not.