    ASCII characters including commas, quotation marks, and newline characters.

    Does such a beast already exist? This must be able to run on Perl 5.0 (no
    Tk).
    Darrell L. Schmitt, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Darrell L. Schmitt

    Bob Walton Guest

    Darrell L. Schmitt wrote:

    > I'm looking for a CSV type flat-file database. This is for a text entry

    Check out:

    use DBI;

    along with DBD::CSV . That will permit the use of SQL on CSV files
    containing header lines which give the field names. And, even though
    the CSV files are flat, you can still use sets of them like a relational
    database. Cool but maybe slow.

    Alternatively, you might also check out:

    use Text::CSV_XS;

    or

    use Text::Balanced;

    and, indeed, anything on CPAN that contains CSV.

    > "logbook" that will have 3 major fields. Each field may contain up to 2048
    > ASCII characters including commas, quotation marks, and newline characters.
    >
    > Does such a beast already exist? This must be able to run on Perl 5.0 (no
    > Tk).

    Perl 5.0? Do you maybe mean 5.8.0? Or 5.005? (the latter is really
    quite ancient by now). I can't image what your question would have to
    do with anything in Tk, or why it would be important whether Tk is
    installed/used or not.

    --
    Bob Walton
    Bob Walton, Aug 29, 2004