    cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).

    Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

    , Sep 18, 2006

  2. McKirahan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
    > am new to it, I am wondering:
    >
    > What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
    > cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).
    >
    > Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

    Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

    Is it for read-only purposes? (Session variables could be used.)

    Concurrent updates would be a problem with multiple users.

    How much data (how many lines / bytes) are you talking about?

    If you use the ".asp" extension and the first line is:
    <% Response.End %>
    then visitors cannot directly access your flat file via a URL.

    Or, the first line could redirect them to another page:
    <% Response.Redirect("http://www.google.com/") %>

    In case you want to reconsider:

    How do I create a database from ASP?
    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-create-a-database-from-asp.htm

    McKirahan, Sep 18, 2006

    > Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

    Faster, cheaper.

    > Is it for read-only purposes? (Session variables could be used.)

    No, I thought of complete database replacement. ASP File System Object
    would read/write and do all database stuff instead

    > Concurrent updates would be a problem with multiple users.

    I did not consider that. How would it happen?

    > How much data (how many lines / bytes) are you talking about?

    Not much, but I wonder what are the limits? What size if acceptable?

    > If you use the ".asp" extension and the first line is:
    > <% Response.End %>
    > then visitors cannot directly access your flat file via a URL.

    Thanks for the hint

    , Sep 18, 2006
  4. dude, just use an access database.

    Jason Simmons, Sep 18, 2006

    I do... so...

    , Sep 18, 2006
  6. McKirahan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > > Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

    > Faster, cheaper.

    What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.

    Also, "cheaper" how?
    If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

    A flat file might be fine for you to maintain a list of Contacts
    but not for multiple users reading and rewriting to it frequently.

    > > Concurrent updates would be a problem with multiple users.

    > I did not consider that. How would it happen?

    One kludgy technique would be so set a "lock" whenever a user is
    working with the file and "unlock" it when they're done. Subsequent
    users would find the "lock" on and could update the file.

    File Lock in ASP
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=122155

    McKirahan, Sep 18, 2006
  7. Mike Brind Guest

    McKirahan wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > > Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

    > > Faster, cheaper.

    > What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.
    >
    > Also, "cheaper" how?
    > If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

    The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
    create his database. That's, ermmmm, £40.00 or so more expensive than
    the mid-range Office offer? Or about £80.00 more expensive than the
    "standard" (Word, Excel,Outlook only) version. Enough to make anyone
    pause for thought....

    ;-)

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Sep 18, 2006
  8. Mike Brind wrote:
    > McKirahan wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Faster, cheaper.

    >> What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.
    >>
    >> Also, "cheaper" how?
    >> If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

    > The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
    > create his database.

    Why? As long as MDAC and the Jet components (free download from MS) is
    loaded, a database can be created in its entiredty using a combination of
    ADOX and SQL DDL.

    If you want the design-time experience provided by Access, that's another
    story.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 18, 2006
  9. McKirahan Guest

    "Mike Brind" <> wrote in message

    McKirahan wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > > Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of

    database"?

    > > Faster, cheaper.

    > What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.
    >
    > Also, "cheaper" how?
    > If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

    The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
    create his database. That's, ermmmm, £40.00 or so more expensive than
    the mid-range Office offer? Or about £80.00 more expensive than the
    "standard" (Word, Excel,Outlook only) version. Enough to make anyone
    pause for thought....

    ;-)

    So you missed the link in my first posting...

    How do I create a database from ASP?
    URL:http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-create-a-database-from-asp
    ..html

    No copy of MS-Access needed -- if the Web host supports it.

    MDAC is required which "has shipped as part of the Windows Operating System
    since Windows 98" per URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/learning/MDAC

    Google on: Create Access Database with ADOX

    Then there's MySQL which is free; again, if the Web host supports it.

    McKirahan, Sep 18, 2006
  10. Mike Brind Guest

    McKirahan wrote:
    > "Mike Brind" <> wrote in message
    >
    > McKirahan wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message

    > database"?
    > > >
    > > > Faster, cheaper.

    > > What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.
    > >
    > > Also, "cheaper" how?
    > > If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

    > The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
    > create his database. That's, ermmmm, £40.00 or so more expensive than
    > the mid-range Office offer? Or about £80.00 more expensive than the
    > "standard" (Word, Excel,Outlook only) version. Enough to make anyone
    > pause for thought....
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > So you missed the link in my first posting...

    Correct. I did. And I completely forgot about ADOX/DDL.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Sep 19, 2006
  11. Mike Brind Guest

    Mike Brind wrote:
    > McKirahan wrote:
    > > "Mike Brind" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > McKirahan wrote:
    > > > <> wrote in message

    > > database"?

    > > > What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.
    > > >
    > > > Also, "cheaper" how?
    > > > If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

    > > The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
    > > create his database. That's, ermmmm, £40.00 or so more expensive than
    > > the mid-range Office offer? Or about £80.00 more expensive than the
    > > "standard" (Word, Excel,Outlook only) version. Enough to make anyone
    > > pause for thought....
    > >
    > > ;-)
    > >
    > > So you missed the link in my first posting...
    > >

    > Correct. I did. And I completely forgot about ADOX/DDL.
    >
    > --

    As a side note, I'm getting increasingly irritated by this appearing on
    aspfaq.com:

    Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
    Sorry - an error has occured - technical support has been notified...
    Please click here or check back in a few minutes...

    It worked fine as a classic asp site....

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Sep 19, 2006
  12. maybe try one the free login systesm to get you started

    www.aspprotect.com has one
    www.aspin.com lists others as well

    why re-invent the wheel especially since it does not sound like your get it
    working anytime soon
    at least you can learn something from one thse free systems as well

    Kyle Peterson, Sep 19, 2006
  13. McKirahan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
    > am new to it, I am wondering:
    >
    > What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
    > cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).
    >
    > Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

    If you insist on going the flat-file route thrn this article may be helpful:

    How to manipulate a text file database
    URL:http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=8562
    &lngWId=4

    "The article shows one of the ways to create/view/sort/edit/delete,
    encode/decode individual records and fields within records stored
    in a plain text file. Format of the article is an .rtf file with the sample
    code explaining procedure step by step. The article may be seen online:
    http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com/index.php?ID=28"

    McKirahan, Sep 20, 2006
  14. MikeR Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
    > am new to it, I am wondering:
    >
    > What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
    > cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).
    >
    > Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

    Retrieving, editing (changing, adding, deleting) is an order of magnitude easier
    with a DB.
    Mike

    MikeR, Sep 21, 2006
  15. McKirahan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
    > am new to it, I am wondering:
    >
    > What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
    > cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).
    >
    > Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

    URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/learning/default.aspx

    Learning Resources

    Video Series: SQL Server 2005 Express Edition for Beginners

    Getting Started with SQL Server Express

    This video series is designed specifically for individuals who are
    interested in learning the basics of how to create, manage, and
    connect to SQL Server Express databases.
    The series includes over 4 hours of video-based instruction that
    walks you through the steps of learning about databases to
    actually connecting a database to a web application.

    URL:http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/3/8/b3847275-2bea-440a-8e2e-305
    b009bb261/sql_01.wmv

    Clip: 01. What is a Database?

    (this is one slide from this 28 minute video.)

    Why not use Text files? Spreadsheets?
    * Data integrity? Redundant data? Outdated data?
    * Data size?
    * Retrieval? Filering? Searching?
    * Protecting data from malicious or unauthorized use?
    * Protecting data from becoming corrupt?

    Instead, a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)
    makes managing data easy by taking care of many of the most
    difficult tasks associated with integrating data into your
    application.

    McKirahan, Sep 26, 2006