Flat File Security vs Database

vunet.us

Hi,
I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
am new to it, I am wondering:

What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).

Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

McKirahan

Hi,
I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
am new to it, I am wondering:

What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).

Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

Is it for read-only purposes? (Session variables could be used.)

Concurrent updates would be a problem with multiple users.

How much data (how many lines / bytes) are you talking about?

If you use the ".asp" extension and the first line is:
<% Response.End %>
then visitors cannot directly access your flat file via a URL.

Or, the first line could redirect them to another page:
<% Response.Redirect("http://www.google.com/") %>

In case you want to reconsider:

How do I create a database from ASP?
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-create-a-database-from-asp.htm

vunet.us

Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

Faster, cheaper.
Is it for read-only purposes? (Session variables could be used.)

No, I thought of complete database replacement. ASP File System Object
would read/write and do all database stuff instead
Concurrent updates would be a problem with multiple users.

I did not consider that. How would it happen?
How much data (how many lines / bytes) are you talking about?

Not much, but I wonder what are the limits? What size if acceptable?
If you use the ".asp" extension and the first line is:
<% Response.End %>
then visitors cannot directly access your flat file via a URL.

Thanks for the hint

Jason Simmons

dude, just use an access database.

Faster, cheaper.

No, I thought of complete database replacement. ASP File System Object
would read/write and do all database stuff instead

I did not consider that. How would it happen?

Not much, but I wonder what are the limits? What size if acceptable?

Thanks for the hint

McKirahan

Faster, cheaper.

What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.

Also, "cheaper" how?
If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

A flat file might be fine for you to maintain a list of Contacts
but not for multiple users reading and rewriting to it frequently.

I did not consider that. How would it happen?

One kludgy technique would be so set a "lock" whenever a user is
working with the file and "unlock" it when they're done. Subsequent
users would find the "lock" on and could update the file.

File Lock in ASP
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=122155

Mike Brind

McKirahan said:
What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.

Also, "cheaper" how?
If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
create his database. That's, ermmmm, £40.00 or so more expensive than
the mid-range Office offer? Or about £80.00 more expensive than the
"standard" (Word, Excel,Outlook only) version. Enough to make anyone
pause for thought....

;-)

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Mike said:
The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
create his database.

Why? As long as MDAC and the Jet components (free download from MS) is
loaded, a database can be created in its entiredty using a combination of
ADOX and SQL DDL.

If you want the design-time experience provided by Access, that's another
story.

McKirahan

What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.

Also, "cheaper" how?
If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
create his database. That's, ermmmm, £40.00 or so more expensive than
the mid-range Office offer? Or about £80.00 more expensive than the
"standard" (Word, Excel,Outlook only) version. Enough to make anyone
pause for thought....

;-)

So you missed the link in my first posting...

How do I create a database from ASP?
URL:http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-create-a-database-from-asp
..html

No copy of MS-Access needed -- if the Web host supports it.

MDAC is required which "has shipped as part of the Windows Operating System
since Windows 98" per URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/learning/MDAC

Google on: Create Access Database with ADOX

Then there's MySQL which is free; again, if the Web host supports it.

Mike Brind

McKirahan said:
The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
create his database. That's, ermmmm, £40.00 or so more expensive than
the mid-range Office offer? Or about £80.00 more expensive than the
"standard" (Word, Excel,Outlook only) version. Enough to make anyone
pause for thought....

;-)

So you missed the link in my first posting...

Correct. I did. And I completely forgot about ADOX/DDL.

Mike Brind

--

As a side note, I'm getting increasingly irritated by this appearing on
aspfaq.com:

Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
Sorry - an error has occured - technical support has been notified...
Please click here or check back in a few minutes...

It worked fine as a classic asp site....

Kyle Peterson

maybe try one the free login systesm to get you started

www.aspprotect.com has one
www.aspin.com lists others as well

why re-invent the wheel especially since it does not sound like your get it
working anytime soon
at least you can learn something from one thse free systems as well

McKirahan

Hi,
I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
am new to it, I am wondering:

What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).

Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

If you insist on going the flat-file route thrn this article may be helpful:

How to manipulate a text file database
URL:http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=8562
&lngWId=4

"The article shows one of the ways to create/view/sort/edit/delete,
encode/decode individual records and fields within records stored
in a plain text file. Format of the article is an .rtf file with the sample
code explaining procedure step by step. The article may be seen online:
http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com/index.php?ID=28"

MikeR

Hi,
I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
am new to it, I am wondering:

What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).

Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks
Retrieving, editing (changing, adding, deleting) is an order of magnitude easier
with a DB.
Mike

McKirahan

Hi,
I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
am new to it, I am wondering:

What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).

Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/learning/default.aspx

Learning Resources

Video Series: SQL Server 2005 Express Edition for Beginners

Getting Started with SQL Server Express

This video series is designed specifically for individuals who are
interested in learning the basics of how to create, manage, and
connect to SQL Server Express databases.
The series includes over 4 hours of video-based instruction that
walks you through the steps of learning about databases to
actually connecting a database to a web application.

URL:http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/3/8/b3847275-2bea-440a-8e2e-305
b009bb261/sql_01.wmv

Clip: 01. What is a Database?

(this is one slide from this 28 minute video.)

Why not use Text files? Spreadsheets?
* Data integrity? Redundant data? Outdated data?
* Data size?
* Retrieval? Filering? Searching?
* Protecting data from malicious or unauthorized use?
* Protecting data from becoming corrupt?

Instead, a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)
makes managing data easy by taking care of many of the most
difficult tasks associated with integrating data into your
application.