    splitting hairs a little :)

    Thanks for any advice,

    Andrew.

    sorry.no.email@post_NG.com, May 23, 2006

  2. sorry.no.email@post_NG.com

    Andy Dingley Guest

    sorry.no.email@post_NG.com wrote:

    > Are there any benefits or disadvantages to each method or am I
    > splitting hairs a little :)

    Absolute positioning is a work of Satan and your Immortal Soul is in
    Dire Peril whenever you use it.

    Andy Dingley, May 23, 2006

  3. sorry.no.email@post_NG.com

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    sorry.no.email@post_NG.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can I ask what could potentially a stupid question? I have a
    > navigation list set to the left in two ways:
    >
    > Absolute Position:
    > http://www.pnc.com.au/~plstrong/
    >
    > Float Left:
    > http://www.pnc.com.au/~plstrong/test
    >
    > I have a feeling that the Float Left version keeps the flow of the
    > page better, maintaining a better logical structure than the absolute
    > position version. I also read the W3C guidelines, but was none the
    > wiser:)
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html
    >
    > Are there any benefits or disadvantages to each method or am I
    > splitting hairs a little :)

    One advantage is that you can put the absolutely positioned stuff
    later in your html, enabling some folk and things (eg. search
    engines) to get at your content "first". and the less immedietely
    important stuff (navigation say, or a banner or whatever) later.

    In your case, go with the float.

    BTW, consider some em specs to divs and things (I have not looked
    at your code but am guessing) so that when fonts are enlarged
    they do not "jump the natural barriers".

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 23, 2006
  4. sorry.no.email@post_NG.com

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, sorry.no.email@post_NG.com vouchsafed:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can I ask what could potentially a stupid question? I have a
    > navigation list set to the left in two ways:
    >
    > Absolute Position:
    > http://www.pnc.com.au/~plstrong/
    >
    > Float Left:
    > http://www.pnc.com.au/~plstrong/test
    >
    > I have a feeling that the Float Left version keeps the flow of the
    > page better, maintaining a better logical structure than the absolute
    > position version. I also read the W3C guidelines, but was none the
    > wiser:)
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html
    >
    > Are there any benefits or disadvantages to each method or am I
    > splitting hairs a little :)

    Floats seem to be preferred by those who do not know how to do absolute
    positioning correctly, and vice versa.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.