float, <li> bullets and IE7

Helpful person

I am rewriting my web site and have hit a cross browser compatability
problem. The site is at:

www.newftpwebsite.richardfisher.com/optical_engineering.shtml

with access using username richard and password fisher

I have unordered lists which show as expected in non IE7 browsers
displaying the bullets. In IE7 no bullets are displayed. If I
remove the floats the bullets appear for IE7. (The CSS for the page
in question is at the end of the linked file.)

I searching the internet and found a possible a fix (which I haven't
yet tried) which suggested using images for the bullets. There must
be a better way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

+mrcakey

Helpful person said:
I am rewriting my web site and have hit a cross browser compatability
problem. The site is at:
<snip>

Is the site part of someone's eye test?!!!!!

I'm in a hurry at the minute, but if IE's misbehaving, why not send it some
conditional CSS?

Helpful person

I notice you've set margin to 0 on the uls, relying on Firefox's default
stylesheet to set 40px left padding on them to make room for the
bullets.

You could try setting padding-left: 40px explicitly on UL. Some browsers
use a 40px margin in the default stylesheet (which you've killed),
others 40px padding.

I don't know if this fixes the problem-- don't have IE to test on. It's
a good idea to do anyway though, especially as CSS 2.1 Appendix D
(suggested default stylesheet) suggests 40px margin rather than padding.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much. That fixed my problem. This forum is wonderful
for beginners like me.