Floatation Devices...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Perrier II, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. Greetings.

    I am a budding HTML operator, with only a small portfolio of experience to
    draw from. I am still at the learning stage, trying out "pretend websites"
    on my own computer.

    I have two very simple questions that I am hoping to elicit some form of
    response to.

    Here is the first: I am learning to use CSS more for positioning than table
    cells, as is the current trend in progressive thinking. For some of my
    design attempts, I still use a single-celled table containing a picture and
    descriptive text beside it. I position the picture with either a
    "float-right" or "float-left" style defined in CSS. The descriptive text
    lies beside it; I usually apply a font-style css to the <td> of the cell to
    govern the "look" of the font. But one problem I have is is for, say larger
    pictures accompanied by smaller blocks of text: no matter how I tweak with
    the style dialogue box (dw/mx), I can't find an attribute that will position
    the block of text in the vertical centre of the "left-floated" or
    "right-floated" picture. The text always drifts to align with the top of
    the graphic, leaving a disproportionate amount of empty space below.

    I'm sure this problem would persist even if I dropped the table cell and
    floated content relative to the empty page. Can anyone suggest a tweak for
    this?

    One other problem I notice is that when I use the javascript mouseover
    buttons that DW generates, it tends to stop animated gif's that I use from
    playing. Has anyone else encountered this anomaly before?

    Thank you kindly for any input you can offer.

    -- JP*

    John Perrier II, Dec 8, 2004

  2. On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:18:13 +0000, John Perrier II wrote:

    > I'm sure this problem would persist even if I dropped the table cell and
    > floated content relative to the empty page. Can anyone suggest a tweak for
    > this?

    not really an answer, but...

    why do you bother with the table cell at all if you are using div's inside
    it to position content?

    It seems to me as iff it will just create tag soup.

    Also, does your page validate?

    http://validator.w3.org/

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 8, 2004

  3. John Perrier II

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:18:13 GMT, John Perrier II
    <> wrote:

    > Here is the first: I am learning to use CSS more for positioning than
    > table
    > cells, as is the current trend in progressive thinking. For some of my
    > design attempts, I still use a single-celled table containing a picture
    > and
    > descriptive text beside it.

    Why? Use a div instead, less markup, more sensible. Or even a p element
    with an image within. That might even be better.

    Don't use the table element unless it's really a table, where the content
    is compared in some way by column and row.

    > But one problem I have is is for, say larger
    > pictures accompanied by smaller blocks of text: no matter how I tweak
    > with
    > the style dialogue box (dw/mx), I can't find an attribute that will
    > position
    > the block of text in the vertical centre of the "left-floated" or
    > "right-floated" picture. The text always drifts to align with the top of
    > the graphic, leaving a disproportionate amount of empty space below.

    Yep. That's how float is supposed to work.

    > I'm sure this problem would persist even if I dropped the table cell and
    > floated content relative to the empty page. Can anyone suggest a tweak
    > for
    > this?

    There's few reliable ways that are supported on all browsers. One thing
    you can try is setting a top margin in pixels to the text. (But not to the
    markup containing the image!) Depending on the text, a little less than
    half the height of the image will do. It won't lock it in perfectly, but
    it will make better use of the space. Perhaps someone else knows of a way
    to do it better.

    Though you may want to consider if this is the best way to accomplish what
    you're doing. Consider other layout choices - not that what you want is
    bad, but other ways are certainly easier and more predictable, and if one
    of them serves your ends in pretty much the same way, why not go with it?

    > One other problem I notice is that when I use the javascript mouseover
    > buttons that DW generates, it tends to stop animated gif's that I use
    > from
    > playing. Has anyone else encountered this anomaly before?

    I don't use DW, animated GIFs, or JS mouseover stuff. Again - do you
    really need it? Can't CSS do the work?

    Neal, Dec 8, 2004