Floated element determine containter's height

Mitja

I have got a theoretical question regarding floats. As an example, let's
take one of the Floatutorial sites:
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/tutorial0706.htm
Look at the bottom of the page for the source code of the example.

Now suppose the whole paragraph were put into a div and that it (the
paragraph) were only a line long. In such a situation, the floated letter
would oveflow div's borders. Is it possible to make the height of div
dynamic, yet big enough to accomodate the floated element?
For what I need, a transparent element with clear:left at the end of the div
is unfortunately, not a solution.

Thanks in advance,
Mitja