Floating frames replacement?

dorayme

Jim said:
I cannot discuss exactly what I am going to do just yet, but for an
excellent example of why you'd want to put other sites in a frame, go to
http://torrentsearcher.filesharingplace.com .

Yes, I understand, I have come to appreciate the need for some
discretion and secrecy from Luigi. What, Jim, are we to see in
particular? I am on a bit of a slow dialup and any help would be
appreciated.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jim said:
How could he make the site/page itself look look like his own.

It appeared as the right column frame of his site (under a banner frame
and beside a navigation frame), with his URL showing in the address bar.
The Clueless will assume it is his page.
Didn't you guys have your name or link on every page?

Sure. But again, *his* URL is the only URL that shows.

We solved the problem by blocking his IP address. Some time later, he
finally realized this and removed the link from his menu.

Jim

dorayme said:
Yes, I understand, I have come to appreciate the need for some discretion
and secrecy from Luigi. What, Jim, are we to see in particular? I am on a
bit of a slow dialup and any help would be appreciated.

The example shows a navigation frame on the left with a search field and
several buttons of various torrent search engines. When you enter some
search words and click a link in the left frame, the right frame shows the
search engine (who's name you clicked in the left frame) in it's entirety.
Nothing is changed or removed from the pages being displayed.

I think this is an appropriate use of frames to show other web pages.

dorayme

Jim said:
The example shows a navigation frame on the left with a search field and
several buttons of various torrent search engines. When you enter some
search words and click a link in the left frame, the right frame shows the
search engine (who's name you clicked in the left frame) in it's entirety.
Nothing is changed or removed from the pages being displayed.

Well, when I clicked on The Pirate Bay link, it started to load
in the right frame and then suddenly took over the whole browser
window with the other site, the navigation left pane disappeared
and the back button was cleared of its history...

But I know how it is meant to operate, let us put this down to a
glitch or action by the loaded site content's owners.
I think this is an appropriate use of frames to show other web pages.

Perhaps. With various safeguards like notices to avoid creating
any misapprehensions and maybe even permission from the sites
concerned (perhaps this would avoid trouble in the operation too)

Suppose there are good arguments to say that if you can do
something from the start without frames and with not too much
trouble, you should. In the light of this, you need to assess
your above phrase "an appropriate use of frames".

I speak from some experience here. I had a fair sized commercial
site in frames for many years (it was as appropriate a use of
frames as ever existed) and could barely face the idea of
reconfiguring it without. But - under pressure from much
commentary on this ng, mostly nothing to do with me personally, I
did. It was a big job for me but am very glad I did.

The point I want to make to you is this: The navigation for that
site is _still_ on the left and the contents _still_ appeared on
the right. The back and forward buttons that God in His Wisdom
gave browsers, work naturally and intuitively in His Image. And I
avoid many search engine and other associated frames problems.

And, frankly, I was freed to design more fluidly and do things
that either I could not before or simply did not think of. The
result was a thing of incredible beauty and power.

But you perhaps have more practical aims... good luck!

Jim

dorayme said:
Well, when I clicked on The Pirate Bay link, it started to load
in the right frame and then suddenly took over the whole browser
window with the other site, the navigation left pane disappeared
and the back button was cleared of its history...

But I know how it is meant to operate, let us put this down to a
glitch or action by the loaded site content's owners.

The pirate bay people may have objected to this use (although I cannot see
why they would).

There are ways of defeating Pirate Bay's javascript that is used to break
free of the frames. That is the technology I will be using - even if the
website has the javascript designed to break the site free of a frame, it
will not function as they expect - and their content will be "framed".
Perhaps. With various safeguards like notices to avoid creating
any misapprehensions and maybe even permission from the sites
concerned (perhaps this would avoid trouble in the operation too)

Suppose there are good arguments to say that if you can do
something from the start without frames and with not too much
trouble, you should. In the light of this, you need to assess
your above phrase "an appropriate use of frames".

To me , an appropriate use of frames would be...
1) Any use that does not lay claim to content that you did not create and
2) that does not alter the core content of the site and
3) in which all added content (above, beside, under or alongside) another
website's content, in frames or not, should be clearly marked (perhaps by
using a highlighting background color) as coming from your enhancements -
not from the original website's content and
4) should be coded such that the frames enhancements will not interfere with
the ability of the user to bookmark the page referenced (you should add a
"Bookmark this page" button programatically, if need be, as frames will
interfere with normal bookmarking of the target site).
I speak from some experience here. I had a fair sized commercial
site in frames for many years (it was as appropriate a use of
frames as ever existed) and could barely face the idea of
reconfiguring it without. But - under pressure from much
commentary on this ng, mostly nothing to do with me personally, I
did. It was a big job for me but am very glad I did.

The point I want to make to you is this: The navigation for that
site is _still_ on the left and the contents _still_ appeared on
the right. The back and forward buttons that God in His Wisdom
gave browsers, work naturally and intuitively in His Image. And I
avoid many search engine and other associated frames problems.

And, frankly, I was freed to design more fluidly and do things
that either I could not before or simply did not think of. The
result was a thing of incredible beauty and power.

This is great for sites that you control. But, it is impractical as a
substitute for frames because it is not possible (AFAIK) to efficiently
"host" another page with your navigation at left without the use of frames.
But you perhaps have more practical aims... good luck!

After looking at the options, it is simpler for me if I use frames to
accomplish my goals. I will have to force pages to stay within those frames
(even those with scripts designed to defeat being framed) - but I think the
trade-off is worth the fuss that the webmasters will make.

It may be a total bust.....who knows? If the surfing public does not like
it, or if it becomes a tool for abuse of websites, I will withdraw it.

The webmasters that may not like it will simply have to learn to grin and
bear it. The entire web (unless you have a passworded site) is for the
surfers. And, if the people elect to surf using my tools to make the web a
more lively and interactive place - so be it.

I can assure you that I do not want negative press or hard feelings, that I
take my responsibilities as a programmer quite seriously and would do
nothing to tarnish the name of my family or my company.

Although there will be objections (and bugs to be worked out for sure), I
will do my best to balance the needs of the surfer with the needs and rights
of the content owners.

No matter what you do, if you do anything at all, somebody will criticize,
condem or complain. As will be the case with my tools.

I say....webmasters be silent.....let the surfers speak. I will listen to
them, for they are what makes the web work.

Jim

dorayme

[...]

Jim[/QUOTE]

Yes, good for you. Keep us all informed.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
Well, when I clicked on The Pirate Bay link, it started to load
in the right frame and then suddenly took over the whole browser
window with the other site, the navigation left pane disappeared
and the back button was cleared of its history...

But I know how it is meant to operate, let us put this down to a
glitch or action by the loaded site content's owners.

if (top != self) top.location.href = location.href; :)

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jim
I say....webmasters be silent.....let the surfers speak. I will listen to
them, for they are what makes the web work.

Very well, speaking as a surfer - I hate sites that use frames.

Jim

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jim

So show us your tools. I'm sure someone will break them.

I'm sure that will happen from time to time also. So, I am coding in
maximum flexibility so that we can respond ASAP to any attempts to stifle
the surfer's ability to gain full enjoyment and usability of the web's
resources.

It should be fun! I am *very* much looking forward to this challenge.

Jim

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jim quothed:
I say....webmasters be silent.....let the surfers speak. I will listen to
them, for they are what makes the web work.

I love framed sites. When I come across one, I feel a strange euphoria
- as if I've stumbled upon Nirvana and in spite of my past iniquities
the Supreme Being has decided to let me enter and prance around the
grounds in the buff with full privileges to view other buffies and more.
Such satisfaction is rarely gainsaid by non-framed sites or morphodidic
convolutions like css. Hopefully, of course, this is more than just a
misplaced urge for exhibitionism.

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jim

Very well, speaking as a surfer - I hate sites that use frames.

Yes, so you do. But that is because you cannot think like a
surfer in the main, you are badly biased by what you know are the
downsides of frames. As a surfer, I am perfectly happy to view a
framed site and there are nice ones. But it is hard being as
unbiased as me, it has taken hundreds of years.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
Yes, so you do. But that is because you cannot think like a
surfer in the main, you are badly biased by what you know are the
downsides of frames.

Except that I hated frames before I knew anything about writing web
pages. Probably not to the same extent as now though.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jim
It should be fun! I am *very* much looking forward to this challenge.

Sounds to me you're trying to write a browser. HTML is probably not the
best language to use when writing a program to display HTML pages.

Jim

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jim

Sounds to me you're trying to write a browser. HTML is probably not the
best language to use when writing a program to display HTML pages.

Actually I thought about that first. But, getting people to switch browsers
is a massive (and slow) undertaking.

IMO, I would need a browser that incorporated every feature of every current
browser that people use to even have a chance at the market numbers I am
seeking.

Even then, it is an uphill battle. Look at Firefox. A much better
browser.....but still (after years) is lagging very much behind IE. And
Opera is barely a blip on the screen.

I simply don't have the resources for that.

Jim

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jim
IMO, I would need a browser that incorporated every feature of every current
browser that people use to even have a chance at the market numbers I am
seeking.

What is it that you are actually trying to do? Perhaps it would work as
an extension for Firefox? Or there are several customised versions of
IE, such as Avant.

From what you've said so far, it really doesn't sound like a web site is
the best solution.

Jim

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jim

What is it that you are actually trying to do?

I want to intercept the HTML and strip out ads or other content that the
user finds objectionable. There could be other things done to enhance the
surfer's experience also...but I'll settle for this as a start.
Perhaps it would work as
an extension for Firefox? Or there are several customised versions of
IE, such as Avant.

Even as an extension, it'd be a pin to make one for IE, Firefox, Opera,
Avant......etc. Whenever they upgraded their stuff, I'd be coding to catch
up.

Then, what about the Mac or Linux people? I suspect they'd like to be in on
what I'm planning....and I'd love to have them.
From what you've said so far, it really doesn't sound like a web site is
the best solution.

It won't be a website. It'll be a public proxy. Or run locally if they
prefer.

BTW, thanks for your interest and your thoughts on the subject.

Jim

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme

Except that I hated frames before I knew anything about writing web
pages. Probably not to the same extent as now though.

If you really really hated them then, (and was not confusing them
with _otherwise_ badly made pages) and now hate them even more,
you are most unusual.

Anyway, what has this to do with us being thrashed the other
night?