    adder and multiplier in ASIC. So I must know the operation of them.
    Please help me. Thanks.
    Regards, mehr.
    mmt1, Jan 19, 2006

  2. mmt1

    Uncle Noah Guest

    mmt1 wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > I want to have an integer to floating point converter. On the other
    > hand I want a floating point generator to convert some numbers from
    > integer to floating point . so I can use them as elements of the
    > "primitive table" in verilog code. Have any one help me ? how I can
    > get such tools? I also want to implement the 16 bit floating point
    > adder and multiplier in ASIC. So I must know the operation of them.
    > Please help me. Thanks.
    > Regards, mehr.

    During FPU development at Opencores, I recall Rudi Usselmann coding
    Verilog cores that did exactly this conversion. These files are still
    accessible in the opencores mailing lists, dated circa June-August
    2000.
    http://www.opencores.org/forums.cgi/cores/

    Also, check out the (complete) Open FPU core
    http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/fpu/overview
    You will also need SoftFloat to run their test pattern generator (C
    program). (easy to find in Google).

    I have a question: 16-bit FP arithmetic is not defined in IEEE-754, so
    what is your approach? Have you ever heard of the OpenEXR tool? I think
    they use sign=1-bit, exponent=5-bits, mantissa=10-bits.

    cheers

    Nikolaos Kavvadias
    Uncle Noah, Jan 20, 2006