Flow Charts vs HTML?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Andrew, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi,

    I look after a genealogy web site for my father that has multiple
    Descendant Reports. An example can be seen at:

    http://www.strong-family.org/foster/chapter_2.html

    My father puts these together with software called Reunion (Mac) and
    outputs the charts as images.

    My question: I would like to produce these with CSS / HTML so search
    engines can pick up the names but I would like to maintain the general
    look of the image: ie coloured div boxes that are linked in the
    correct order. But how?

    Does anybody have some ideas about this?

    Thanks for any assistance,

    Andrew
    --

    Andrew
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/

    Andrew, Sep 21, 2006

  2. Andrew

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Does anybody have some ideas about this?

    Best way is to use SVG. Works beautifully, but there's a chunky
    learning curve. One day I plan to write some export filters for some of
    the genealogy tools.

    To see what can be done with pure HTML tools though, read Scott
    McCloud's old comics site and read the source code.

    Andy Dingley, Sep 21, 2006

  3. Andrew

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Andy Dingley" <> wrote in message

    > Andrew wrote:
    >> Does anybody have some ideas about this?

    > Best way is to use SVG. Works beautifully, but there's a chunky
    > learning curve. One day I plan to write some export filters for some of
    > the genealogy tools.
    >
    > To see what can be done with pure HTML tools though, read Scott
    > McCloud's old comics site and read the source code.

    Much as I am a fan of SVG (I really am, I use it a lot), I'm aware that
    support for it in browsers isn't good. I know Firefox is supposed to support
    it natively, but IE users have to download a plug-in in order to view SVG.
    The Adobe SVG viewer was popular, but Adobe are pulling it from the website
    come the end of the year (presumably because now they have bought Flash they
    don't need a rival technology).

    Also, and back on topic, is there any evidence that search engines (i.e.
    google) will actually read svg? I'm certain that you won't find an svg file
    being returned in the search results. I think that requirement was implied
    in the original post.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Sep 21, 2006
  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:08:56 +0100, "Brian Cryer"
    <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >"Andy Dingley" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Andrew wrote:
    >>> Does anybody have some ideas about this?

    >> Best way is to use SVG. Works beautifully, but there's a chunky
    >> learning curve. One day I plan to write some export filters for some of
    >> the genealogy tools.

    snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    >Also, and back on topic, is there any evidence that search engines (i.e.
    >google) will actually read svg? I'm certain that you won't find an svg file
    >being returned in the search results. I think that requirement was implied
    >in the original post.

    Hi Brian,

    Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I sounded more than a little
    mercenary when I was hunting for search engine indexing of names in
    genealogy records :) This is important to most family history sites
    but as well if these records are placed as images any browser or
    person who cannot see images loses access to the information contained
    within them.

    Could there be a case that these records are actually tabular data?
    An HTML table would probably be more straightfoward than wrestling
    with svg or grappling with increasingly bloated css.

    Thanks again,

    Andrew
    --

    Andrew
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/

    Andrew, Sep 22, 2006
  5. Andrew

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Andrew" <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:08:56 +0100, "Brian Cryer"
    > <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"Andy Dingley" <> wrote in message

    >>> Best way is to use SVG. Works beautifully, but there's a chunky
    >>> learning curve. One day I plan to write some export filters for some of
    >>> the genealogy tools.

    > snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >
    >>Also, and back on topic, is there any evidence that search engines (i.e.
    >>google) will actually read svg? I'm certain that you won't find an svg
    >>file
    >>being returned in the search results. I think that requirement was implied
    >>in the original post.

    > Hi Brian,
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I sounded more than a little
    > mercenary when I was hunting for search engine indexing of names in
    > genealogy records :) This is important to most family history sites
    > but as well if these records are placed as images any browser or
    > person who cannot see images loses access to the information contained
    > within them.

    I think you are being a little hard on yourself. It isn't "mercenary" to
    want search engines to pick up the text. I can see why you would want it.
    Quite a reasonable requirement.

    > Could there be a case that these records are actually tabular data?
    > An HTML table would probably be more straightfoward than wrestling
    > with svg or grappling with increasingly bloated css.

    Tables or lists may well prove to be the easiest way forward. I suspect the
    difficulty is to use a table or list AND preserve the relationship between
    family groups.

    I'm sure you could structure the information in a table and format it so it
    looks like a family tree - but it might be ugly to create and purists here
    would turn away in disgust.

    I suspect a list, and css might be a better way, but you could spend days
    playing with different layout options.

    When you do come up with something please let me know. I'd love to see it.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Sep 22, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    Andrew <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I look after a genealogy web site for my father that has multiple
    > Descendant Reports. An example can be seen at:
    >
    > http://www.strong-family.org/foster/chapter_2.html
    >
    > My father puts these together with software called Reunion (Mac) and
    > outputs the charts as images.
    >
    > My question: I would like to produce these with CSS / HTML so search
    > engines can pick up the names but I would like to maintain the general
    > look of the image: ie coloured div boxes that are linked in the
    > correct order. But how?
    >
    > Does anybody have some ideas about this?

    There's a whole sourceforge project dedicated to putting genealogy
    charts on the Web (http://www.phpgedview.net/) which is a good
    indication that there's a lot to this project. I'm not trying to
    discourage you from trying this on your own, just suggesting a different
    avenue.

    Good luck with whatever you pursue.

    --
    Philip