flow control and nested loops

kj

In Perl, one can label loops for finer flow control. For example:

X: for my $x (@X) {
Y: for my $y (@Y) {
for my $z (@Z) {
next X if test1($x, $y, $z);
next Y if test2($x, $y, $z);
frobnicate($x, $y, $z);
}
glortz($x, $y);
}
splat($x);
}

What's considered "best practice" in the Python world for this sort
of situation? The only approach I can think of requires setting
up indicator variables that must be set and tested individually;
e.g.

for x in X:
next_X = False
for y in Y:
next_Y = False
for z in Z:
if test1(x, y, z):
next_X = True
break
if test2(x, y, z):
next_Y = True
break
frobnicate(x, y, z)
if next_X:
break
if next_Y:
continue
glortz(x, y)
if next_X:
continue
splat(x)

Whereas I find the Perl version reasonably readable, the Python
one I find nearly incomprehensible. In fact, I'm not even sure
that the Python version faithfully replicates what the Perl one is
doing!

Is there a better approach?

TIA!

kynn

Simon Forman

[...]

<snark>The best approach would be to reorganize your code so you
didn't have to do that.</snark>

Seriously though, I find both the perl and python versions
non-obvious. You have had to use constructs like this in practice?

Generally, I would use "flags" in tricky nested loops just like you
did, perhaps with some comments to clarify things. An alternative
might be to use custom exceptions. Hopefully someone smarter than me
will come along and show an even better approach.

class NextX(Exception): pass
class NextY(Exception): pass

for x in X:
try:
for y in Y:
try:
for z in Z:

if test1(x, y, z):
raise NextX

if test2(x, y, z):
raise NextY

frobnicate(x, y, z)

except NextY:
continue

glortz(x, y)

except NextX:
continue

splat(x)

Terry Reedy

kj said:
[...]

1. Put inner loops in a function and return instead of break.

2. Put inner loops in
try:
for..
for
if cond: raise Something
# or do operation that raises exception if cond is true
except e:
whatever

tjr

Raymond Hettinger

[...]

The Perl syntax is elegant and readable.
There is not a Python direct equivalent,
but then the situation doesn't come up often.

For the outermost loop, a break or continue suffices.
To exit multiple levels of loop, there a several choices
including try/except, flags, and functions with returns.

A try/except approach looks like this:

class NextX(Exception):pass
class NextY(Exception):pass

for x in X:
try:
for y in Y:
try:
for z in Z:
if test1(x,y,z):
raise NextX
if test2(x,y,z):
raise NextY
frobnicate(x,y,z)
except NextY: pass
except NextX: pass

Another approach for exiting multiple levels of loops is wrap the
inner calls in a function and return from them when needed:

def f(x):
for y in y:
for z in Z:
if test1(x,y,z):
return
frobnicate(x,y,z)

for x in X:
f(x)

Or you can write a little state machine with flags and a single loop
but that isn't very readable or satisfying.

Raymond

Bearophile

Raymond Hettinger:
Another approach for exiting multiple levels of loops is wrap the
inner calls in a function and return from them when needed:

   def f(x):
       for y in y:
           for z in Z:
               if test1(x,y,z):
                   return
               frobnicate(x,y,z)

   for x in X:
      f(x)

That's usual the solution I use for this problem, it's a little rough
and it has some performance cost, but it's readable and simple.

In PHP break and continue accept an optional numeric value (default is
1, 0 is of course ignored) "which tells it how many nested enclosing
structures are to be broken out of.":
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.break.php
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.continue.php
That PHP design gives me shivers, it's horrid, bug-prone and fragile:

for x in X:
for y in Y:
for z in Z:
if test1(x, y, z):
continue 3
if test2(x, y, z):
continue 2
frobnicate(x, y, z)
glortz(x, y)
splat(x)

A better solution is to add labels to Python (I hope this code is
equivalent to the original Perl one), that can optionally be used by
"continue" and "break". This solution design is also used by D:

label OUTER:
for x in X:
label INNER:
for y in Y: