fluid layout/header problem (in IE)

ste.diamond

Heya guys,

This is my first time posting on a group, so first of all, hello to
everybody :)

At the moment I'm on a placement (I'm a student studying BSc
Multimedia) doing some web related work, and part of it involves me
creating a website for a shop.

Originally they wanted me to design for high resolution but I figured
I would try my hand at a fluid layout with xhtml/css, as I'm used to
creating fixed widths.

The problem is this:

In IE, when you resize the window, the navigation breaks away from the
container.

Here's a screenshot to explain what I mean:
http://stediamond.co.uk/css_layout_problem/problem.jpg

I was just wondering if I'd be able to keep the top/bottom borders
connected to the container, It seems that when the container reaches
the end of the header (right hand side, 421px I think) it causes the
navigation to break away.

Here's the files for you to have a look at:
http://stediamond.co.uk/css_layout_problem/index.html
http://stediamond.co.uk/css_layout_problem/style.css

The files I've linked to are just a dummy page to highlight my problem.
In the website I'm creating I've used min-width on the container, but
I guess min-width only applies to FF and isn't recognised by IE.

I hope I've explained my problem clearly, if not please say and I'll do
my best to add more clarity.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

ste.diamond

What is your purpose in having both #wrap and also #container?

A friend pointed out that the original margin I had applied to the body
{ margin: 30px; } could be conflicting with the browser, so I tried
placing the container inside a wrap and then applying a top margin to
wrap and an auto to the left/right margin of the container, as the
employers want the website centered on the screen.

However this didnt work and I still had the same problem.

I did find some some sort of a solution:

http://stediamond.co.uk/css_layout_problem/attempt2/index.html
http://stediamond.co.uk/css_layout_problem/attempt2/style.css

I happen to come across this by accident as I was reading into
overflow, however I'm not too sure if this is the result I want, I
wouldnt mind your opinion (or anyone elses for that matter).

Thanks for the quick response by the way, appreciate it

mbstevens

I'm not too sure if this is the result I want, I
wouldnt mind your opinion (or anyone elses for that matter).

One obvious problem is that the header is not a header.
Here's what a real header would look like:

<h1>Header!</h1>

An image such as you're using, without header tags, is actually more
like a logo and should not be confused with a header.

Since you've given no doc type, IE is thrown into quirks mode.
IE does not handle CSS very well in that mode. Look here:

http://www.webstandards.org/learn/reference/charts/doctype-switch/

ste.diamond

Thanks for the input mbstevens, I've altered the /attemp2/ files and
put in a transitional xhtml doctype and also changed the header to logo
to clear up any confusion, appreciate you pointing that out, completely
forgot about quirks to be honest.

Ste