Fluid look and feel?

Russell Wallace

Java's still on my short list of technologies for a contemplated
future project, one of the reasons for this being the possibility of
getting a consistent look and feel between platforms.

The default way of doing this is to use the Metal look and feel, but
that isn't what I want for this project. I want a more fluid-looking
display, with white and pastel colors and no sharp-edged metal bits.
Remember the scene in 'The Matrix Reloaded' where you get a glimpse of
the computer display the traffic controllers are using? That's the
sort of impression I'm aiming for. (The project in question is a
strategy game.)

Do I understand correctly that the way to do this is to create a
custom look and feel? If so, how easy is this to do, and will it work
reliably on different platforms' JVMs?

Thanks,

Ike

I know there is a "skin look and feel" floating around whereby I believe you
can do just this. //Ike

Ike

I found the download I didi of the whole thing, sources, classes &
docs...but there weblink isnt connecting. I would be glad to forward this on
to you via email if you like. //Ike

Thomas G. Marshall

Russell Wallace said:
Java's still on my short list of technologies for a contemplated
future project, one of the reasons for this being the possibility of
getting a consistent look and feel between platforms.

The default way of doing this is to use the Metal look and feel, but
that isn't what I want for this project. I want a more fluid-looking
display, with white and pastel colors and no sharp-edged metal bits.
Remember the scene in 'The Matrix Reloaded' where you get a glimpse of
the computer display the traffic controllers are using? That's the
sort of impression I'm aiming for. (The project in question is a
strategy game.)

Do I understand correctly that the way to do this is to create a
custom look and feel? If so, how easy is this to do, and will it work
reliably on different platforms' JVMs?

The gui folks need to weigh in here, so forgive me for being brash enough to
cross post.

I think that the Metal look and feel is about as "fluid" as a vice-grip.

I believe that skinning is definately the way to go here. I know of xul,
which in an xml based skinning formalism, but others here know of several
alternatives, better suited for java.

Roedy Green

The default way of doing this is to use the Metal look and feel, but
that isn't what I want for this project. I want a more fluid-looking
display, with white and pastel colors and no sharp-edged metal bits.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/laf.html

and follow links. You could spend a long time looking over all the
variants people have prepared.

Russell Wallace

Which way did you choose? The L&F or skinning?

Haven't decided yet - I need to finish my current project before I
start on the Java one. But I'm satisfied now that there are techniques
for doing what I want, and I've kept the links and will investigate
further once I'm ready to start.