    To reply by email, remove
    the small snack from address.
    http://www.esatclear.ie/~rwallace
    Russell Wallace, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Russell Wallace

    Ike Guest

    I know there is a "skin look and feel" floating around whereby I believe you
    can do just this. //Ike

    Ike, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Russell Wallace

    Ike Guest

    I found the download I didi of the whole thing, sources, classes &
    docs...but there weblink isnt connecting. I would be glad to forward this on
    to you via email if you like. //Ike

    Ike, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Russell Wallace

    Ike Guest

    Ike, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Russell Wallace <> horrified us with:

    > Java's still on my short list of technologies for a contemplated
    > future project, one of the reasons for this being the possibility of
    > getting a consistent look and feel between platforms.
    >
    > The default way of doing this is to use the Metal look and feel, but
    > that isn't what I want for this project. I want a more fluid-looking
    > display, with white and pastel colors and no sharp-edged metal bits.
    > Remember the scene in 'The Matrix Reloaded' where you get a glimpse of
    > the computer display the traffic controllers are using? That's the
    > sort of impression I'm aiming for. (The project in question is a
    > strategy game.)
    >
    > Do I understand correctly that the way to do this is to create a
    > custom look and feel? If so, how easy is this to do, and will it work
    > reliably on different platforms' JVMs?

    The gui folks need to weigh in here, so forgive me for being brash enough to
    cross post.

    I think that the Metal look and feel is about as "fluid" as a vice-grip.

    I believe that skinning is definately the way to go here. I know of xul,
    which in an xml based skinning formalism, but others here know of several
    alternatives, better suited for java.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Russell Wallace

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:57:05 GMT, (Russell
    Wallace) wrote or quoted :

    >The default way of doing this is to use the Metal look and feel, but
    >that isn't what I want for this project. I want a more fluid-looking
    >display, with white and pastel colors and no sharp-edged metal bits.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/laf.html

    and follow links. You could spend a long time looking over all the
    variants people have prepared.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Sep 17, 2003
  7. On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:38:36 GMT, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:

    > See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/laf.html
    >
    >and follow links. You could spend a long time looking over all the
    >variants people have prepared.

    Thanks, everyone! These seem to be exactly the sort of things I'm
    looking for.

    Russell Wallace, Sep 18, 2003
  8. Russell Wallace <> horrified us with:

    ....[there once was a man from nansnippit]...

    > Thanks, everyone! These seem to be exactly the sort of things I'm
    > looking for.

    Which way did you choose? The L&F or skinning?
    Thomas G. Marshall, Sep 18, 2003
  9. On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:17:13 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
    <> wrote:

    >Which way did you choose? The L&F or skinning?

    Haven't decided yet - I need to finish my current project before I
    start on the Java one. But I'm satisfied now that there are techniques
    for doing what I want, and I've kept the links and will investigate
    further once I'm ready to start.

    Russell Wallace, Sep 23, 2003