Fluid Page Query

KiwiBrian

Suppose I create a comp in Fireworks of a 960px wide page with a surrounding
glow/shadow gradient of about 6 pixels width.
Containing 2 columns intended to be fixed width left column and fluid right
column.
No further content within these column placeholders at this stage.
Simple so far.
I desire to implement that as a fluid width page, either using Dreamweaver
or my trusty and beloved TextPad.
Not so simple any more.
Or is it?
Any examples online that I can study to see how it is accomplished?
I am not concerned about the page content.
It is accomplishing the page fluid border/perimeter/surround that I am stuck
on.
TIA

dorayme

"KiwiBrian said:
Suppose I create a comp in Fireworks of a 960px wide page with a surrounding
glow/shadow gradient of about 6 pixels width.
Containing 2 columns intended to be fixed width left column and fluid right
column.
No further content within these column placeholders at this stage.
Simple so far.
I desire to implement that as a fluid width page, either using Dreamweaver
or my trusty and beloved TextPad.
Not so simple any more.
Or is it?
Any examples online that I can study to see how it is accomplished?
I am not concerned about the page content.
It is accomplishing the page fluid border/perimeter/surround that I am stuck
on.
TIA

By all means use FW to create a border image, but don't bother about
trying to compose the whole page in it, it is the wrong way to go about
things.

You might get an idea or two from this which I just knocked up, I just
used some strips I had for one of my sites and altered them a bit and
generally cut corners, but if you study this you might get an idea about
it?

<http://tinyurl.com/2nkrad>

KiwiBrian

dorayme said:
By all means use FW to create a border image, but don't bother about
trying to compose the whole page in it, it is the wrong way to go about
things.

You might get an idea or two from this which I just knocked up, I just
used some strips I had for one of my sites and altered them a bit and
generally cut corners, but if you study this you might get an idea about
it?

<http://tinyurl.com/2nkrad>

Thanks very much D. Very interesting.
Tell me, on a moderately complex page do you create a comp in FW first, and
slice etc?
Of course not using FW to create any of the markup.
If this is not your usual practice, is slicing a comp ever an option that
you would use, and if so, in what circumstances?

dorayme

"KiwiBrian said:
Thanks very much D. Very interesting.
Tell me, on a moderately complex page do you create a comp in FW first, and
slice etc?

Morning Brian, no, as I meant to imply generally above, it is not a way
I fancy these days. I think my very first commercial home page was done
this way, everyone liked it and especially the client. It was one of the
best looking pages I ever did, with a spectacular background (which was
not a bg image but simply an image with js rollovers and text made in
Fireworks and exported as jpg along with the rest!).

It makes me wince now because I know how skin deep is its beauty, it
depended on the eye of the beholder looking at a screen of a certain
size, the eye being comfortable with the size of the unchangeable font
and so on...

You know something, it does not actually look so great any more. In the
way that a man or woman can seem not all that handsome or gorgeous if
you *know* they stink. said:
Of course not using FW to create any of the markup.
If this is not your usual practice, is slicing a comp ever an option that
you would use, and if so, in what circumstances?

The point of slicing was to get the bits into a form amenable to a table
layout. And some other side benefits were touted for it, you could
export some bits at a lesser file size overhead (quality going down but
not mattering for those bits so much). And there were compromises so
that some slices were for cells with real html text...

But it is a poor practice, not only because it locked you into tables
(you *could* with difficulty disentangle the table layout from the
procedure) but because you were starting out with delivering a big
picture, there is no way it is not going to be a dangerous big file
problem to satisfy all the screen sizes of today.

And it hardly bears thinking about what it means for non visual users!

Think of your materials as html text, html elements and small pictures.
You can leverage all the rest: big pics delivered by links to willing
and knowing users. Small file background images to elements for various
effects, the repeat algorithms are there for you to leverage them into
spectacularly big and beautiful effects. A lot for a little.

KiwiBrian

[...]

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply D.
All grist to the mill.