    --
    Andrew Cameron
    "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."
    Andrew Cameron, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Andrew Cameron wrote:

    > http://dumpage.net/is/

    First problem:
    | It displays next to the menu, as intended, in IE6 but in Firebird and
    | Opera (the correctly-rendering browsers) this text drops below the menu.

    Why is IE6 different? Because it is is quirks mode. Look at the top line
    of the HTML and you'll understand why.

    Second problem:
    | Not only that, but all browsers are ignoring the 80% width I've given to
    | the body

    Missing semicolon.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Andrew Cameron wrote:
    >
    >> http://dumpage.net/is/

    > First problem:
    >> It displays next to the menu, as intended, in IE6 but in Firebird and
    >> Opera (the correctly-rendering browsers) this text drops below the
    >> menu.

    > Why is IE6 different? Because it is is quirks mode. Look at the top
    > line of the HTML and you'll understand why.

    The xml declaration? I removed that, and even tried a different doctype
    (HTML 4 Strict) but still IE displays it how I want (which is obviously
    wrong, because Firebird displays it right, I realise) and the others don't.

    > Second problem:
    >> Not only that, but all browsers are ignoring the 80% width I've
    >> given to the body

    > Missing semicolon.

    Thanks for noticing this! That now works, and I have amended the site
    accordingly. Can you help with the dropping DIV by any chance? Thanks for
    the reply.

    Andrew Cameron, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Andrew Cameron wrote:

    > The xml declaration? I removed that, and even tried a different doctype
    > (HTML 4 Strict) but still IE displays it how I want (which is obviously
    > wrong, because Firebird displays it right, I realise) and the others don't.

    Hmmm... I thought that would have been the problem. It usually is.

    Try getting rid of the right float on #content and then adding:

    #shell #content { width: auto; margin-left: 150px; }

    Should do what you want.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jan 10, 2004
  5. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Try getting rid of the right float on #content and then adding:
    >
    > #shell #content { width: auto; margin-left: 150px; }
    >
    > Should do what you want.

    Thanks Toby, this looks fantastic!

    Now, if I put width: auto on the #content, leave the h1 definition alone but
    put the margin on p, I get a neat overlap effect of the menu. What do you
    think? ( http://dumpage.net/is/ )

    Andrew Cameron, Jan 10, 2004
  6. ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Andrew Cameron" <> wrote on Saturday, January 10,
    2004 3:55 PM Re: Fluidity help

    >> Now, if I put width: auto on the #content, leave the h1 definition alone

    but put the margin on p, I get a neat overlap effect of the menu. What do
    you think? ( http://dumpage.net/is/ )

    I'm sorry, Andrew, I'm not Toby, but I don't care fore the overlap feature
    at all. You may need to lower the font size on menu because it simply seems
    larger than the text, even though it may not be. Also, the menu feels "in
    my face" because it is so high up. I might suggest you tone town the 2
    heading colors, they seem bolder than the entire page. Check at softening it
    up.

    Like I said, I'm nobody but I hope my comments help you. Take them or leave
    them.

    Kathy
    kathy painter, Jan 11, 2004