focus

jkstinn

I apologize for another post about focus, but whatever I try just
doesn't seem to work. I appreciate any ideas that you could give me on
getting the focus back to the textbox after tabbing or clicking out.
Jason

function checkTime(timeVal) {
var hr, mn;
if (timeVal.length != 4)
{
alert("Time entered must be 4 characters: ex. 0130.");
document.setCond.elements['hwtime'].focus();
}

<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="hwtime" ID="hwTime" SIZE=4 MAXLENGTH=4
VALUE="Time" onfocus='this.value="";'
onchange='checkTime(this.value);'>

Erwin Moller

jkstinn said:
I apologize for another post about focus, but whatever I try just
doesn't seem to work. I appreciate any ideas that you could give me on
getting the focus back to the textbox after tabbing or clicking out.
Jason

function checkTime(timeVal) {
var hr, mn;
if (timeVal.length != 4)
{
alert("Time entered must be 4 characters: ex. 0130.");
document.setCond.elements['hwtime'].focus();
}

<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="hwtime" ID="hwTime" SIZE=4 MAXLENGTH=4
VALUE="Time" onfocus='this.value="";'
onchange='checkTime(this.value);'>

Hi,

What is setCond?
Difficult to say without the complete code.

I am sure the following code works:
document.forms.yourformnamehere.hwtime.focus();

where you have to replace yourformnamehere by the name of the form this
element is in.

Please also check you are not accidentally using the same formname and
elementname twice.
Why are you using an ID and a name? (Just curious)
You could also try to remove the onfocus='this.value="";' and place that in
the function BEFORE the focus-command.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Erwin Moller

jkstinn

Erwin Moller said:
jkstinn said:
[...]

Erwin

setCond is the name of my form. I was using ID and names when I was
trying to access an element from different ways trying to get the
thing to work. I went ahaed and took out all the IDs', as you had said
that maybe I had a naming problem. That still didn't work. I was using
onchange to test the text for correct information. When I changed the
onchange to onblur, the focus() would work. What is the difference
between the onchange and onblur that would make the focus work?

Thank you for your help.

Jason

Erwin Moller

setCond is the name of my form. I was using ID and names when I was
trying to access an element from different ways trying to get the
thing to work. I went ahaed and took out all the IDs', as you had said
that maybe I had a naming problem. That still didn't work. I was using
onchange to test the text for correct information. When I changed the
onchange to onblur, the focus() would work. What is the difference
between the onchange and onblur that would make the focus work?

The difference is that onBlur means something like: "Loosing the focus"
and on change means: "changing the value"
You could also try to remove the onfocus='this.value="";' and place that
in the function BEFORE the focus-command.

Did you try that?
Thank you for your help.

Jason

Good luck!