Folder 'partitioning'

Darrel

Recently, I came across the issue of file-system practical limits in terms
of how many files to store in a single directory:

http://www.37signals.com/svn/archives2/id_partitioning.php

That refers mainly to LAMP, but was wondering how much of an issue it is
with Windows/.net

I'm working on a file management tool (mainly images) and I imagine most
folks will be using it for hundreds of images at the most...not 10's of
thousands, but for future reference, what are the practical limits in
Windows that I should be concerned about and what are some common ways
..netters handle this issue?

-Darrel

Lau Lei Cheong

Darrel said:
I'm working on a file management tool (mainly images) and I imagine most
folks will be using it for hundreds of images at the most...not 10's of
thousands, but for future reference, what are the practical limits in
Windows that I should be concerned about and
We have once had a folder with more than 300,000 subfolders and runs into
performance issue when accessing it.
what are some common ways .netters handle this issue?
Continually moving files to another harddisks in order to keep the number
downto, say, tens of thousand. <g>