Folder permissions

Kim Lots

Hi

Sorry to disturb you again but i really like to know
what's the NTFS folder permissions on a "virtual directory" folder
for a public webserver iis 5.x running ASP 3.0 with an Access DB on a
w2k pro machine with anonymous access.

Fyg this is non commercial website for neighbour members in a carpool
with booking possibility. No file upload is allowed/possible/needed.
Login is manged by the ASP script

I'll got this on MY folder which i think i a overkill and I want to
tighten the security as much as possible

Aministrators FC
IWAM R&E
NETWORK R&E
SERVICE R&E
SYSTEM FC
USERS Read & Write

Above is working fluently and I have not changed any of the default
groups.

One other thing though - even if I'm logged on the webserver (w2k pro)
as an adminstrator I'm not able to run the webscripts. How come?
Something to do with the local policies? Or is this the thing with the
temp folders. I wish I could determind all the folder outside the
webroot folder (Home Directory ) involved in one session.

But is not a big issue, just curious. Everything is working fine over
the local network and remote as well.

Thanks in advance for answer!

Ray at

What does "not able to run webscripts" mean and what is it that makes you
think it's permissions related? That is, what is the error or response that
you get?

Ray at work

Kim Lots

Hi and thanks for your respons.

Sorry should have been run ASP 3.0 scripts
locally on the web server

I don't get any error response when trying to run
the ASP script locally. The default.asp page
is showing correctly. But when I try clicking/
interact with the default.asp page. Next ASP
page takes forever to load. But will show eventually.

And interacting with ASP Page no 2 (depending on
which link i clicked on default.asp) goes fast & run smoothly.

Just to clarify everthing is working fine on a client on the local
network and remotely as well.

Any suggestions on my question regarding NTFS permissions
on the folder?

Thanks for your time spent.

Kim

Ray at

I wouldn't jump right to any conclusions about NTFS permissions because one
of your pages is slow, especially if that file exists in the same directory
as other pages that load fine and all your files inherit permissions from
their parent (the directory).

What is your slow page doing? Is there some sort of a loop? Have you done
any debugging like:

i = 0
Do while not SomeCondtion
i = i + 1
Response.Write "Started iteration " & i & "<br>"
Response.Flush

'''your code here
Loop

What is slow about it? Have you tried removing suspect sections of code to
see if it improves load time or anything? If permissions are not set right,
you will either be prompted for credentials in your browser, or you will get
a 401 error - not authorized. Insufficient permissions don't just slow
things down but eventually work. That would defeat the purpose behind
permissions!

Ray at home

Kim Lots

Hi Ray

Thanks for your post

Please read my original post again! I have in fact two
questions. The one you are refering to (question 2) has nothing to do
with NTFS permissions and is a separate problem when running
ASP 3 scripts on the SERVER. Sorry for confusion, but this is a minor
thing. I can live with that. The pages work fine from a LOCAL client
as well from REMOTE clients. That's the most important thing for me.

But do you have any answer for me regarding my first question (folder
permissions)? I would be very happy just to know the default settings.
As I have trouble understanding this page
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q271071
it says for the wwwroot

quote

admin FC
system FC
IWAM R&E
Service R&E
Network R&E
Users * (if FrontPage Server)

unquote

In my scenario one of groups need write permission. Which one?

And is above groups & permissions the same for any "Virtual Directory"
folder or does it differ?

And what are the groups Service & Network? Where can I find
information about these groups?

Again, sorry for the confusion and thanks for replaying.

Kim

Ray at

unquote

In my scenario one of groups need write permission. Which one?

If you are not using any sort of Windows based authentication on your site,
then the user account that needs permissions to write files in
IUSR_yourServerName.

And is above groups & permissions the same for any "Virtual Directory"
folder or does it differ?

The permissions you showed were NTFS permissions. THese are permissions on
the actual file system on the server, so you don't have to worry about if
it's a virtual directory in IIS or not. To the server, it's just another
directory somewhere on the file system.

And what are the groups Service & Network?

Network and Service are built in "special groups."
Where can I find
information about these groups?

MS-272 course!

Ray at work