Folder permissions

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Kim Lots, May 12, 2004.

  1. Kim Lots

    Kim Lots Guest

    Hi

    Sorry to disturb you again but i really like to know
    what's the NTFS folder permissions on a "virtual directory" folder
    for a public webserver iis 5.x running ASP 3.0 with an Access DB on a
    w2k pro machine with anonymous access.

    Fyg this is non commercial website for neighbour members in a carpool
    with booking possibility. No file upload is allowed/possible/needed.
    Login is manged by the ASP script

    I'll got this on MY folder which i think i a overkill and I want to
    tighten the security as much as possible

    Aministrators FC
    IWAM R&E
    NETWORK R&E
    SERVICE R&E
    SYSTEM FC
    USERS Read & Write

    Above is working fluently and I have not changed any of the default
    groups.

    One other thing though - even if I'm logged on the webserver (w2k pro)
    as an adminstrator I'm not able to run the webscripts. How come?
    Something to do with the local policies? Or is this the thing with the
    temp folders. I wish I could determind all the folder outside the
    webroot folder (Home Directory ) involved in one session.

    But is not a big issue, just curious. Everything is working fine over
    the local network and remote as well.

    Thanks in advance for answer!

    Kim Lots, May 12, 2004

  2. Kim Lots

    Ray at Guest

    What does "not able to run webscripts" mean and what is it that makes you
    think it's permissions related? That is, what is the error or response that
    you get?

    Ray at work

    Ray at, May 12, 2004

  3. Kim Lots

    Kim Lots Guest

    Hi and thanks for your respons.

    Sorry should have been run ASP 3.0 scripts
    locally on the web server

    I don't get any error response when trying to run
    the ASP script locally. The default.asp page
    is showing correctly. But when I try clicking/
    interact with the default.asp page. Next ASP
    page takes forever to load. But will show eventually.

    And interacting with ASP Page no 2 (depending on
    which link i clicked on default.asp) goes fast & run smoothly.

    Just to clarify everthing is working fine on a client on the local
    network and remotely as well.

    Any suggestions on my question regarding NTFS permissions
    on the folder?

    Thanks for your time spent.

    Kim

    Kim Lots, May 13, 2004
  4. Kim Lots

    Ray at Guest

    I wouldn't jump right to any conclusions about NTFS permissions because one
    of your pages is slow, especially if that file exists in the same directory
    as other pages that load fine and all your files inherit permissions from
    their parent (the directory).

    What is your slow page doing? Is there some sort of a loop? Have you done
    any debugging like:

    i = 0
    Do while not SomeCondtion
    i = i + 1
    Response.Write "Started iteration " & i & "<br>"
    Response.Flush

    '''your code here
    Loop

    What is slow about it? Have you tried removing suspect sections of code to
    see if it improves load time or anything? If permissions are not set right,
    you will either be prompted for credentials in your browser, or you will get
    a 401 error - not authorized. Insufficient permissions don't just slow
    things down but eventually work. That would defeat the purpose behind
    permissions!

    Ray at home

    Ray at, May 13, 2004
  5. Kim Lots

    Kim Lots Guest

    Hi Ray

    Thanks for your post

    Please read my original post again! I have in fact two
    questions. The one you are refering to (question 2) has nothing to do
    with NTFS permissions and is a separate problem when running
    ASP 3 scripts on the SERVER. Sorry for confusion, but this is a minor
    thing. I can live with that. The pages work fine from a LOCAL client
    as well from REMOTE clients. That's the most important thing for me.

    But do you have any answer for me regarding my first question (folder
    permissions)? I would be very happy just to know the default settings.
    As I have trouble understanding this page
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q271071
    it says for the wwwroot

    quote

    admin FC
    system FC
    IWAM R&E
    Service R&E
    Network R&E
    Users * (if FrontPage Server)

    unquote

    In my scenario one of groups need write permission. Which one?

    And is above groups & permissions the same for any "Virtual Directory"
    folder or does it differ?

    And what are the groups Service & Network? Where can I find
    information about these groups?

    Again, sorry for the confusion and thanks for replaying.

    Kim

    Kim Lots, May 16, 2004
  6. Kim Lots

    Ray at Guest

    "Kim Lots" <> wrote in message

    > unquote
    >
    > In my scenario one of groups need write permission. Which one?

    If you are not using any sort of Windows based authentication on your site,
    then the user account that needs permissions to write files in
    IUSR_yourServerName.

    > And is above groups & permissions the same for any "Virtual Directory"
    > folder or does it differ?

    The permissions you showed were NTFS permissions. THese are permissions on
    the actual file system on the server, so you don't have to worry about if
    it's a virtual directory in IIS or not. To the server, it's just another
    directory somewhere on the file system.

    > And what are the groups Service & Network?

    Network and Service are built in "special groups."

    > Where can I find
    > information about these groups?

    MS-272 course!

    Ray at work

    Ray at, May 18, 2004
  7. Kim Lots

    Kim Lots Guest

    Hi

    Thanks for your answer is much clearer now

    Kim

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:33:36 -0400, "Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP]"

    Kim Lots, May 20, 2004
  8. Kim Lots

    Ray at Guest

    You're welcome. I hope it all makes sense. :]

    Ray at home

    Ray at, May 21, 2004