followup to how to do this.......

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, Mar 11, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    http://1littleworld.net/button2.jpg

    A screenshot of the buttons I created using Run Basic and the code
    used to create them with.

    for n=1 to 50

    a$="do0"+str$(n)
    b$=zp$(n,1)

    button #a$,b$,[display]
    #a$ CSSClass("stateButton")
    print

    next n

    Can you imagine hand coding 50 links in html the old fashioned way?

    CSSClass is how you change the look of the button.
    Without it, you get the standard black lettering on gray background
    button.

    The # is a unique identifier for each item, not an ID as in the
    styling of an item.

    [display] is a label meaning "Go to this section".
    Without the print, the buttons would naturally be floated side by
    side.

    The original array was preloaded and I tap the state names from that
    array. The zip codes are in the same array and they will be printed in
    the same manner in another division.

    richard, Mar 11, 2009

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    richard, Mar 11, 2009

  3. richard

    asdf Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > http://1littleworld.net/button2.jpg
    >

    > A screenshot of the buttons I created using Run Basic and the code
    > used to create them with.
    >
    > for n=1 to 50
    >
    > a$="do0"+str$(n)
    > b$=zp$(n,1)
    >
    > button #a$,b$,[display]
    > #a$ CSSClass("stateButton")
    > print
    >
    > next n
    >
    > Can you imagine hand coding 50 links in html the old fashioned way?
    >
    > CSSClass is how you change the look of the button.
    > Without it, you get the standard black lettering on gray background
    > button.
    >
    > The # is a unique identifier for each item, not an ID as in the
    > styling of an item.
    >
    > [display] is a label meaning "Go to this section".
    > Without the print, the buttons would naturally be floated side by
    > side.
    >
    > The original array was preloaded and I tap the state names from that
    > array. The zip codes are in the same array and they will be printed in
    > the same manner in another division.

    I don't see how this is any different from using any of the other
    server-side programming languages, which, it must be said are already there
    and widely supported.

    In PHP for example, the code would be very, very similar, with the
    (possible) exception that you would have to write a 'button' procedure. This
    is hardly an arduous task, in fact it'd be a one or two liner.

    So how is runbasic *better* than PHP, ASP, ASPX or server-side Java?

    asdf, Mar 11, 2009
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:37:47 +1100, "asdf" <> wrote:

    >"richard" <> wrote in message
    >> http://1littleworld.net/button2.jpg
    >>

    >> A screenshot of the buttons I created using Run Basic and the code
    >> used to create them with.
    >>
    >> for n=1 to 50
    >>
    >> a$="do0"+str$(n)
    >> b$=zp$(n,1)
    >>
    >> button #a$,b$,[display]
    >> #a$ CSSClass("stateButton")
    >> print
    >>
    >> next n
    >>
    >> Can you imagine hand coding 50 links in html the old fashioned way?
    >>
    >> CSSClass is how you change the look of the button.
    >> Without it, you get the standard black lettering on gray background
    >> button.
    >>
    >> The # is a unique identifier for each item, not an ID as in the
    >> styling of an item.
    >>
    >> [display] is a label meaning "Go to this section".
    >> Without the print, the buttons would naturally be floated side by
    >> side.
    >>
    >> The original array was preloaded and I tap the state names from that
    >> array. The zip codes are in the same array and they will be printed in
    >> the same manner in another division.
    >>

    >I don't see how this is any different from using any of the other
    >server-side programming languages, which, it must be said are already there
    >and widely supported.
    >
    >In PHP for example, the code would be very, very similar, with the
    >(possible) exception that you would have to write a 'button' procedure. This
    >is hardly an arduous task, in fact it'd be a one or two liner.
    >
    >So how is runbasic *better* than PHP, ASP, ASPX or server-side Java?

    AFAIK, run basic can do practically anything the others can do with a
    major advancement. There is no need to reload the page.

    When I have this completed, you won't even notice the time it takes
    PHP or others to retrieve the data and display it. Unless maybe you're
    using some extremely slow dial up service. Consider it something like
    running a program on your hard drive at home.

    What I would need to do this with in a standard php or regular html
    environment is a bit of javascript. No JS here.

    For me, run basic is ideal for what I need to have done on my sites.

    richard, Mar 11, 2009
  5. richard wrote:

    > AFAIK, run basic can do practically anything the others can do with a
    > major advancement. There is no need to reload the page.

    Says who? Your little examples are just doing standard POST and GET
    transactions...

    > When I have this completed, you won't even notice the time it takes
    > PHP or others to retrieve the data and display it. Unless maybe you're
    > using some extremely slow dial up service. Consider it something like
    > running a program on your hard drive at home.

    Not quite.

    > What I would need to do this with in a standard php or regular html
    > environment is a bit of javascript. No JS here.

    There is not AJAX there, you must hit a submit button, just like any
    other server-side script. Only difference is other server-side scripting
    *is* installed by default on servers.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 11, 2009
  6. richard

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Mar 10, 8:43 pm, richard <> wrote:
    > http://1littleworld.net/button2.jpg
    >
    > A screenshot of the buttons I created using Run Basic and the code
    > used to create them with.
    >
    > for n=1 to 50
    >
    >   a$="do0"+str$(n)
    >   b$=zp$(n,1)
    >
    >   button #a$,b$,[display]
    >   #a$ CSSClass("stateButton")
    >   print
    >
    > next n
    >
    > Can you imagine hand coding 50 links in html the old fashioned way?
    >
    > CSSClass is how you change the look of the button.
    > Without it, you get the standard black lettering on gray background
    > button.
    >
    > The # is a unique identifier for each item, not an ID as in the
    > styling of an item.
    >
    > [display] is a label meaning "Go to this section".
    > Without the print, the buttons would naturally be floated side by
    > side.
    >
    > The original array was preloaded and I tap the state names from that
    > array. The zip codes are in the same array and they will be printed in
    > the same manner in another division.

    I think the essence of what you are saying is that you can use a loop
    to write much of the html code when you need code that varies in a
    known way for each increment. Of course you can often do this locally
    using a JS document.write in a loop, and you can use just about any
    language you wish on a server to do so, since most languages that will
    handle math and write commands can do something of this sort. I
    usually use php rather than JS to avoid differences in JS response on
    different browsers(not as important now as during the browser war era)
    and the few cases when someone may have JS turned off. In addition JS
    document.write is an xml error if you write and serve xhtml code
    properly. However there are many other languages one can use on the
    server that may be better adapted for some things than is php. If you
    own the server, you can put just about any language you wish on it
    that you can afford, but if you use a shared server provided by a
    host, they may not be willing to install many other languages. There
    are many special math programs that can be installed either on a
    computer or a server. However many of these will cost you thousands of
    US dollars, and some may require quit a bit of effort to install, even
    if you know servers fairly well. The last I checked, various versions
    of C and even Fortran could be bought and stored on a server. However,
    if you share the server, some of these types of programs can greatly
    slow down the server for others. For example, there are C and Fortran
    programs that can take even several hours to run and that gobble up
    most available memory on the server. In such cases, it often is much
    better to run the programs on a local computer rather than on the web
    using a server as a substitute for a modern mainframe computer or
    supercomputer.

    If you like to use basic, be my guest. However, at least for what I
    usually do, I can get by with php and a bit of JS now and then when
    something must be done locally on the computer. Even here you have to
    be careful. JS and php are just enough alike to get you into trouble
    if you use both. You keep having to remind yourself "I am writing php,
    not JS" to avoid mixing JS and php. I would consider using another
    server side language only if I had to do something that could not be
    done in a reasonable way with what I now have.

    cwdjrxyz, Mar 11, 2009
  7. Martin Jay wrote:

    > What advantages does Run BASIC offer?

    IFAICT if you are a GWBasic fan and know no other languages...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 11, 2009