    i get the font style and size ok in the td's, but color is always white

    it needs to be done differently?
    bob
    bbxrider, Nov 3, 2007

  2. bbxrider

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 03 Nov 2007 22:18:15 GMT
    bbxrider scribed:

    > i have this css class
    > .tble1, .tble1 TD, .tble TH
    > {
    > font-family:verdana;
    > font-size:10pt;
    > color:eek:range;
    > }
    > and invoke it in a table
    >
    > i get the font style and size ok in the td's, but color is always white
    >
    > it needs to be done differently?
    > bob

    Not sure, but I think Verdana only comes in white.

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.
    Bone Ur, Nov 3, 2007

  3. bbxrider

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "bbxrider" <> wrote:

    > i have this css class
    > .tble1, .tble1 TD, .tble TH
    > {
    > font-family:verdana;
    > font-size:10pt;
    > color:eek:range;
    > }
    > and invoke it in a table
    >
    > i get the font style and size ok in the td's, but color is always white
    >
    > it needs to be done differently?
    > bob

    Try this instead:

    ..tble1 {color: orange; background: white;}

    or

    table.tble1 {color: orange; background: white;}

    Your comma separated shorthand constructions are wrong.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 3, 2007
  4. bbxrider

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 15:18:15 -0700, bbxrider wrote:

    > i have this css class
    > .tble1, .tble1 TD, .tble TH
    > {
    > font-family:verdana;
    > font-size:10pt;
    > color:eek:range;
    > }
    > and invoke it in a table
    >
    > i get the font style and size ok in the td's, but color is always white
    >
    > it needs to be done differently?
    > bob

    It may be that the word "orange" is not recognized by the type of html you
    are using. Try using color:#FF00FF or color:RGB(0,0,0)
    Only a limited few color names are allowed in transitional.
    richard, Nov 3, 2007
  5. bbxrider

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 15:18:15 -0700, bbxrider wrote:
    >
    > > i have this css class
    > > .tble1, .tble1 TD, .tble TH
    > > {
    > > font-family:verdana;
    > > font-size:10pt;
    > > color:eek:range;
    > > }
    > > and invoke it in a table
    > >
    > > i get the font style and size ok in the td's, but color is always white
    > >
    > > it needs to be done differently?
    > > bob

    > It may be that the word "orange" is not recognized by the type of html you
    > are using. Try using color:#FF00FF or color:RGB(0,0,0)
    > Only a limited few color names are allowed in transitional.

    Or perhaps particular browsers? All mine show it even with
    doctypes changed to various ones or no doctype? Have heard this
    about orange before, come to think of it, in some posts here.

    I thought that the comma construction in this case would not work
    but was wrong. Sorry.

    (just btw, I don't think #fof is orange. #f90 might do)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 4, 2007
  6. bbxrider

    bbxrider Guest

    thanks folks i think i tried all the suggestions but still no luck
    even tried a different dtd from strict to transitional
    if your still interested the page is:
    http://www.1614-douglas-road.com/c15.html
    i tried color=black as well as the #......s
    i must have some basic 101 problem
    bob

    bbxrider, Nov 4, 2007
  7. bbxrider

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 04 Nov 2007 02:58:16
    GMT bbxrider scribed:

    > thanks folks i think i tried all the suggestions but still no luck
    > even tried a different dtd from strict to transitional
    > if your still interested the page is:
    > http://www.1614-douglas-road.com/c15.html
    > i tried color=black as well as the #......s
    > i must have some basic 101 problem
    > bob

    From what I see, the content is within links - which will inherit the link
    color.

    Bone Ur, Nov 4, 2007
  8. bbxrider

    rf Guest

    "bbxrider" <> wrote in message
    > thanks folks i think i tried all the suggestions but still no luck
    > even tried a different dtd from strict to transitional
    > if your still interested the page is:
    > http://www.1614-douglas-road.com/c15.html

    <sigh> Would it not have been a whole lot quicker to have provided this link
    in your original post? Then we wouldn't have had to waste a whole morning
    conjecturing what may be wrong.

    The text that you want to be orange is in anchor (<a>). elements

    You specify .tble1 {color: black;} but you also specify a {color: #fffff}.
    Guess which rule is more specific to those anchor elements?

    BTW this took me about three seconds to determine with Firebug. Simply point
    to the offending text and read off the style pane what style rules apply to
    that text and, more to the point, which have been overridden.

    I recommend you install Firebug. If you need to ask here again then supply
    the URL up front.

    Oh, BTW, do not publish an image to the web that is over half a megabyte.
    It's a waste of my bandwidth and yes, sometimes I pay $0.25 per megabyte.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 4, 2007

    #1 Your TABLE is *not* inside the DIV that you styled with color orange.

    #2 You have styled your links <A> as white, which they are per your
    stylesheet:

    a {

    color: #fff;

    font-weight: bold;

    text-decoration: none;

    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 4, 2007
  10. rf wrote:

    > "bbxrider" <> wrote in message
    >> thanks folks i think i tried all the suggestions but still no luck
    >> even tried a different dtd from strict to transitional
    >> if your still interested the page is:
    >> http://www.1614-douglas-road.com/c15.html

    ><sigh> Would it not have been a whole lot quicker to have provided this link
    > in your original post? Then we wouldn't have had to waste a whole morning
    > conjecturing what may be wrong.
    >
    > The text that you want to be orange is in anchor (<a>). elements
    >
    > You specify .tble1 {color: black;} but you also specify a {color: #fffff}.
    > Guess which rule is more specific to those anchor elements?
    >
    > BTW this took me about three seconds to determine with Firebug. Simply point
    > to the offending text and read off the style pane what style rules apply to
    > that text and, more to the point, which have been overridden.
    >
    > I recommend you install Firebug. If you need to ask here again then supply
    > the URL up front.
    >
    > Oh, BTW, do not publish an image to the web that is over half a megabyte.
    > It's a waste of my bandwidth and yes, sometimes I pay $0.25 per megabyte.

    I don't pay per use, but with that kind of huge image, I still move on
    and another site gets my attention and/or money.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 4, 2007
  11. bbxrider

    rf Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:

    >> Oh, BTW, do not publish an image to the web that is over half a megabyte.
    >> It's a waste of my bandwidth and yes, sometimes I pay $0.25 per megabyte.

    > I don't pay per use,

    Neither do I usually, except when someone lets loose on google maps and uses
    up my 3 gig/month :-(

    > but with that kind of huge image, I still move on
    > and another site gets my attention and/or money.

    Indeed. Even on cable it's easy enough to see the image arriving in slices
    and to press the stop/back button. Dial up people have *already* gone
    elsewhere :)

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 4, 2007
  12. rf wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> rf wrote:

    >>> Oh, BTW, do not publish an image to the web that is over half a megabyte.
    >>> It's a waste of my bandwidth and yes, sometimes I pay $0.25 per megabyte.

    >> I don't pay per use,

    > Neither do I usually, except when someone lets loose on google maps and uses
    > up my 3 gig/month :-(

    I don't do Google Maps.

    >> but with that kind of huge image, I still move on
    >> and another site gets my attention and/or money.

    > Indeed. Even on cable it's easy enough to see the image arriving in slices
    > and to press the stop/back button. Dial up people have *already* gone
    > elsewhere :)

    Aye.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 4, 2007
  13. Scripsit Bone Ur:

    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 03 Nov 2007
    > 22:18:15 GMT bbxrider scribed:
    >
    >> i have this css class
    >> .tble1, .tble1 TD, .tble TH
    >> {
    >> font-family:verdana;
    >> font-size:10pt;
    >> color:eek:range;
    >> }
    >> and invoke it in a table
    >>
    >> i get the font style and size ok in the td's, but color is always
    >> white
    >>
    >> it needs to be done differently?
    >> bob

    > Not sure, but I think Verdana only comes in white.

    No, it's because tables are white in November.

    Hint: if you have no idea of the problem, still less a solution, just shut
    up. If you tried to be funny, well, you weren't.

    Seriously, in order of preference,
    1) Use valid HTML, and check that it's valid.
    2) Use CSS by the book, and check that too.
    3) Now re-check: you failed item 1, because lack of DOCTYPE triggers Quirks
    Mode.
    4) Don't use Verdana.
    5) Don't use 10pt or any other size in pt units.
    6) Don't use nonstandard color names like orange. If you don't know which
    color names are standard, don't use color names.
    7) Don't use tables just as a layout tool unless you know what you're doing
    (and you don't know now).
    8) If problems remain, post a URL and specify the browser(s) you used.
    Unless, of course, you just want to waste everyone's time, including yours.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 4, 2007
  14. Scripsit Bone Ur:

    > From what I see, the content is within links - which will inherit the
    > link color.

    There has been a lot of disinformation in the thread (and, someone might
    add, the original question called it, e.g. by its failure to supply a URL).
    It would be pointless to correct it all, but I'll take a bite on this one,
    since it was probably an unintentional mistake, and a common one.

    Links never inherit colors, in practice. In theory they could, but in
    reality, in any browsing situation where different colors are available at
    all, the browser's style sheet sets colors for links. Author and user style
    sheets may override such settings, but in any case, links have a color (or
    colors, different colors for a link in different states) set for them.

    And an element never inherits a property value if it has a value assigned
    for that property. People just fail to understand what inheritance means.
    This is part of the general failure to understand the "C" in "CSS".

    So if some text is within a link, it _gets_ a link color. If a link has an
    _inner_ element may inherit the link color (and will, unless some style
    sheet sets color for it).

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 4, 2007
  15. bbxrider

    bbxrider Guest

    thanks for all the help and apologies for wasting your time, i will check
    out firebug
    i learned a lot about nesting and overriding for the formatting
    will have to figure out the formatting for any web pics
    i started with jpg, and had read some that png was better for web, that it
    had a smaller file size, etc,
    my mistake, after saving the orig jpg that was 85k into png, it ballooned to
    the .5mg, i never
    checked the file size, so that has been changed back to a more reasonable
    85k jpg
    and now with further checking finding other web pages with jpg's that have
    decent resolution, with only
    a 20k file size. when i tried saving my 85k jpg to a lower quality/smaller
    size, the resulting file size was
    down to 49k but the quality was getting pretty bad. so thats another project
    bob

    bbxrider, Nov 4, 2007
  16. bbxrider

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 04 Nov 2007 07:15:32
    GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

    > Scripsit Bone Ur:
    >
    >> From what I see, the content is within links - which will inherit the
    >> link color.

    > There has been a lot of disinformation in the thread (and, someone
    > might add, the original question called it, e.g. by its failure to
    > supply a URL). It would be pointless to correct it all, but I'll take
    > a bite on this one, since it was probably an unintentional mistake,
    > and a common one.
    >
    > Links never inherit colors, in practice. In theory they could, but in
    > reality, in any browsing situation where different colors are
    > available at all, the browser's style sheet sets colors for links.
    > Author and user style sheets may override such settings, but in any
    > case, links have a color (or colors, different colors for a link in
    > different states) set for them.
    >
    > And an element never inherits a property value if it has a value
    > assigned for that property. People just fail to understand what
    > inheritance means. This is part of the general failure to understand
    > the "C" in "CSS".
    >
    > So if some text is within a link, it _gets_ a link color. If a link
    > then the _inner_ element may inherit the link color (and will, unless
    > some style sheet sets color for it).

    Well, yes, all that is very precise, but I was using the English word
    "inherit" to mean "get", not the css-definition "inherit" to mean
    "whatever". I can see how it might be confusing to an expert, but I
    believed the meaning to be clearer to the OP as I framed it.

    --
    Bone Ur

    When I was a young man I learned that having sex with a woman is fun until
    you either get caught or married.
    Bone Ur, Nov 4, 2007
  17. bbxrider

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 04 Nov 2007 07:04:28
    GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

    >> Not sure, but I think Verdana only comes in white.

    > No, it's because tables are white in November.
    >
    > Hint: if you have no idea of the problem, still less a solution, just
    > shut up. If you tried to be funny, well, you weren't.

    Was too. You're just in a crabby mood.

    Bone Ur, Nov 4, 2007
  18. Scripsit Bone Ur:

    > Well, yes, all that is very precise,

    And you apparently failed to understand it, since by Usenet conventions,
    lack of comprehensive reading is indicated by the use of comprehensive
    quotation.

    > but I was using the English word
    > "inherit" to mean "get",

    That was foolish. Check your English dictionary, and you will get (not
    inherit) some understanding in this matter.

    > not the css-definition "inherit" to mean
    > "whatever".

    When you use words that are CSS terms in a specifically CSS context, you
    should use them in their CSS meanings.

    > I can see how it might be confusing to an expert,

    No, experts immediately see that _you_ are confused, but the vast majority
    will be confused by your incorrect explanation.

    > but I
    > believed the meaning to be clearer to the OP as I framed it.

    If you meant "get", surely "get" would have been clearer than "inherit". The
    truth is that you tried to use CSS jargon and failed.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 4, 2007
  19. bbxrider

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 04 Nov 2007 15:11:29
    GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

    > Scripsit Bone Ur:
    >
    >> Well, yes, all that is very precise,

    > And you apparently failed to understand it, since by Usenet
    > conventions, lack of comprehensive reading is indicated by the use of
    > comprehensive quotation.

    Is there a reference for this "convention" or do you just have an
    inherited prejudice for comprehensive quoatation?

    >> but I was using the English word
    >> "inherit" to mean "get",

    > That was foolish. Check your English dictionary, and you will get (not
    > inherit) some understanding in this matter.

    It may have been imperfect but was hardly foolish in the realistic sense
    of the word. Of course, some could make it _seem_ foolish by blathering
    unbecomingly in an adult environment.

    > When you use words that are CSS terms in a specifically CSS context,
    > you should use them in their CSS meanings.

    Why? If a word has a paramount English meaning, can not that override a
    subordinate, more-specific context? I'll agree that using "inherit" as I
    did may have been technically (from a css perspective) awkward, but not
    prohibitively so.

    >> I can see how it might be confusing to an expert,

    > No, experts immediately see that _you_ are confused, but the vast
    > majority will be confused by your incorrect explanation.

    Well, I'm not confused and my explanation isn't or wasn't incorrect.
    However, you make a good case for how easily experts can be confused.

    >> but I
    >> believed the meaning to be clearer to the OP as I framed it.

    > If you meant "get", surely "get" would have been clearer than
    > "inherit".

    True. Especially to one knowing English as a second language (however
    well).

    The truth is that you tried to use CSS jargon and failed.

    That's patently untrue. The truth is that you fail to understand all the
    nuances of the more fundamental language used to convey the information.

    Bone Ur, Nov 4, 2007
  20. bbxrider

    dorayme Guest

    In article <cabXi.8499$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > Oh, BTW, do not publish an image to the web that is over half a megabyte.
    > It's a waste of my bandwidth and yes, sometimes I pay $0.25 per megabyte.

    Good point.

    (btw, with Optus, they slow you down when you run over the limit.
    On my ADSL plan, they slow it to less than I get if I use my dial
    up connection.)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 4, 2007