    Can somebody help me understand this?
    Thanks,
    Charles
    charles cashion, Mar 30, 2006

  2. charles cashion wrote:

    > face=helvetica works as expected
    > face=courier works as expected
    >
    > A search of my entire hard drive does not find
    > arial or helvetica or courier. the closest thing
    > is Courier.afm.
    >
    > Can somebody help me understand this?

    Font names generally do not relate directly to the filename of the file they
    are stored in.

    (And the <font> element was deprecated in favour of CSS about a decade ago)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Mar 30, 2006

  3. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, charles cashion quothed:

    > The following works as expected...
    > some text ...
    > more text ...
    > any text ...
    >
    > face=helvetica works as expected
    > face=courier works as expected
    >
    > A search of my entire hard drive does not find
    > arial or helvetica or courier. the closest thing
    > is Courier.afm.
    >
    > Can somebody help me understand this?

    Sure. Your expectations aren't particularly discriminating.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  4. charles cashion

    Andy Dingley Guest

    charles cashion wrote:

    > A search of my entire hard drive does not find
    > arial or helvetica or courier. the closest thing
    > is Courier.afm.
    >
    > Can somebody help me understand this?

    The mappings of typefaces names onto actual fonts is an arcane process
    that's not understandable by mere mortals, like web designers.

    There are three levels of mapping

    - "serif", "sans-serif" and "monospace" are about all you can
    practically request on the web. You don't know what the users actually
    have installed and the browser just maps it for you. This isn't
    flexible, but it works. You can't (practically) achieve much more than
    this on the public web. If you assume "Most people run Windows, most
    recent Windows ships with Comic Sans" then you can do better - but
    still not usefully (the commonplace fonts that aren't already the
    serif/sans defaults aren't particularly attractive)

    - For copyright and trademark reasons, it's possible to make a
    typeface called "Swiss" but not one called "Helvetica" - even though
    "Swiss" might be an indistinguishable copy of it. So real-world
    computer desktops and printers already understand how to map these
    various names around (there are embedded lists of close synonyms),
    because that's a significant part of making any sort of installable
    font system work.

    - There are "font metrics", describing a typeface as hard numbers in
    terms of its quantified appearance. "Similar" fonts can now be
    identifed automatically. No-one outside the ivory towers of Gutenberg
    really understands this.
    Andy Dingley, Mar 30, 2006
  5. charles cashion

    Matt Clara Guest

    "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > With neither quill nor qualm, charles cashion quothed:
    >
    > > The following works as expected...
    > > some text ...
    > > more text ...
    > > any text ...
    > >
    > > face=helvetica works as expected
    > > face=courier works as expected
    > >
    > > A search of my entire hard drive does not find
    > > arial or helvetica or courier. the closest thing
    > > is Courier.afm.
    > >
    > > Can somebody help me understand this?

    > Sure. Your expectations aren't particularly discriminating.

    If you're not going to be helpful, why not just stay out of it?

    --
    Regards,
    Matt Clara
    Matt Clara, Mar 30, 2006
  6. charles cashion

    dorayme Guest

    In article <dhXWf.158337$>,
    "Matt Clara" <> wrote:

    > "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, charles cashion quothed:
    > >

    > > > face=helvetica works as expected
    > > > face=courier works as expected
    > > >
    > > > A search of my entire hard drive does not find
    > > > arial or
    > > >
    > > > Can somebody help me understand this?

    > > Sure. Your expectations aren't particularly discriminating.
    > >

    > If you're not going to be helpful, why not just stay out of it?

    Ah, you see, Matt, it is like this: because this is usenet and
    free and you got a really good and informative reply by Andy
    Dingley, there needs to be a balance. You need to read
    Aristotle's doctrine about the mean, the appropriate balance for
    everything. Boji keeps a watchful eye on these things and
    responds accordingly. If you are not getting help, he will give
    astounding help, with incredible clarity, if you are getting too
    much help, he will try to temper it. He is very very good.
    Appreciate him before his coming ... er meeting ... with Officer
    Bud White.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 30, 2006
  7. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Matt Clara quothed:

    > "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, charles cashion quothed:
    > >
    > > > The following works as expected...
    > > > some text ...
    > > > more text ...
    > > > any text ...
    > > >
    > > > face=helvetica works as expected
    > > > face=courier works as expected
    > > >
    > > > A search of my entire hard drive does not find
    > > > arial or helvetica or courier. the closest thing
    > > > is Courier.afm.
    > > >
    > > > Can somebody help me understand this?

    > > Sure. Your expectations aren't particularly discriminating.
    > >

    > If you're not going to be helpful, why not just stay out of it?

    You didn't find that helpful? Perhaps you didn't think enough.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  8. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias
    <http:/www.neredbojias.com/fliam.html> quothed:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Matt Clara quothed:
    >
    > > "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > > > With neither quill nor qualm, charles cashion quothed:

    > > > Sure. Your expectations aren't particularly discriminating.
    > > >

    > > If you're not going to be helpful, why not just stay out of it?

    > You didn't find that helpful? Perhaps you didn't think enough.

    I mean clearly enough.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  9. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias
    > <http:/www.neredbojias.com/fliam.html> quothed:
    >
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, Matt Clara quothed:
    > >
    > > > "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message

    > > > If you're not going to be helpful, why not just stay out of it?

    > > You didn't find that helpful? Perhaps you didn't think enough.

    > I mean clearly enough.

    It was meant to be helpful.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  10. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
    >
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias
    > > <http:/www.neredbojias.com/fliam.html> quothed:
    > >
    > > > With neither quill nor qualm, Matt Clara quothed:

    > > > You didn't find that helpful? Perhaps you didn't think enough.

    > > I mean clearly enough.

    > It was meant to be helpful.

    If I were you, I'd delete all these dumb messages.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  11. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
    >
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
    > >
    > > > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias
    > > > <http:/www.neredbojias.com/fliam.html> quothed:

    > > > I mean clearly enough.

    > > It was meant to be helpful.

    > If I were you, I'd delete all these dumb messages.

    The reason for this is that all except the last (hopefully) contain an
    invalid reply address.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  12. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
    >
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
    > >
    > > > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

    > > > It was meant to be helpful.

    > > If I were you, I'd delete all these dumb messages.

    > The reason for this is that all except the last (hopefully) contain an
    > invalid reply address.

    Oops, that one sucked. Hopefully this one'll do it.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  13. charles cashion

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Neredbojias
    <valid@http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?alt.html> wrote:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
    >
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
    > >
    > > > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

    Boji, time to put the cork on the bottle or hurry up and finish
    and go to bed. You need to rest.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 30, 2006
  14. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias
    > <valid@http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?alt.html> wrote:
    >
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
    > >
    > > > With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

    > Boji, time to put the cork on the bottle or hurry up and finish
    > and go to bed. You need to rest.

    Aw shucks. And just when I was gettin' good.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  15. charles cashion

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:04:36 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    : Boji, time to put the cork on the bottle or hurry up and finish
    : and go to bed. You need to rest.

    ROFLMAO

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Mar 30, 2006
  16. charles cashion

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Neredbojias
    <valid@http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declared in
    alt.html:

    > Aw shucks. And just when I was gettin' good.

    You're just trying to pad the stats, aren't you? ;-)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:
    Mark Parnell, Mar 31, 2006
  17. Jonathan N. Little, Mar 31, 2006
  18. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    Re: font face(s) OT: From

    With neither quill nor qualm, Jonathan N. Little quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    > Just wondering what with the different 'From' fields?
    >
    > Last one: valid@http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html
    >
    > How is is suppose to get one to your email form?

    Originally I was just trying to get a valid potentially-spam-resistant
    email "address" up there in the "reply" of the message head. I figured
    it would need to be cut-and-pasted but if someone was that anxious to
    reply personally, so be it. Well lo and behold, in Gravity at least,
    you can just click the thing in the message and it links correctly. I
    strongly suppose other news clients won't do that, but is it any worse
    than ""?

    I only attached the "valid@" onto the front because (in Gravity) the
    thread "from" name list attaches the email phrase to the from name
    without it (-apparently if it lacks the "@".)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 31, 2006
  19. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Mark Parnell quothed:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Neredbojias
    > <valid@http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declared in
    > alt.html:
    >
    > > Aw shucks. And just when I was gettin' good.

    > You're just trying to pad the stats, aren't you? ;-)

    Nope. That was bona fide htmlish work.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 31, 2006
  20. charles cashion

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

    > With neither quill nor qualm, Mark Parnell quothed:
    >
    > > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Neredbojias
    > > <valid@http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> declared in
    > > alt.html:
    > >
    > > > Aw shucks. And just when I was gettin' good.

    > > You're just trying to pad the stats, aren't you? ;-)

    > Nope. That was bona fide htmlish work.

    This is a new beginning.

    --
    Neredbojias