font face(s)

charles cashion

The following works as expected...
some text ...
more text ...
any text ...

face=helvetica works as expected
face=courier works as expected

A search of my entire hard drive does not find
arial or helvetica or courier. the closest thing
is Courier.afm.

Can somebody help me understand this?
Thanks,
Charles

David Dorward

charles said:
face=helvetica works as expected
face=courier works as expected

A search of my entire hard drive does not find
arial or helvetica or courier. the closest thing
is Courier.afm.

Can somebody help me understand this?

Font names generally do not relate directly to the filename of the file they
are stored in.

(And the <font> element was deprecated in favour of CSS about a decade ago)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, charles cashion quothed:
The following works as expected...
some text ...
more text ...
any text ...

face=helvetica works as expected
face=courier works as expected

A search of my entire hard drive does not find
arial or helvetica or courier. the closest thing
is Courier.afm.

Can somebody help me understand this?

Sure. Your expectations aren't particularly discriminating.

Andy Dingley

charles said:
A search of my entire hard drive does not find
arial or helvetica or courier. the closest thing
is Courier.afm.

Can somebody help me understand this?

The mappings of typefaces names onto actual fonts is an arcane process
that's not understandable by mere mortals, like web designers.

There are three levels of mapping

- "serif", "sans-serif" and "monospace" are about all you can
practically request on the web. You don't know what the users actually
have installed and the browser just maps it for you. This isn't
flexible, but it works. You can't (practically) achieve much more than
this on the public web. If you assume "Most people run Windows, most
recent Windows ships with Comic Sans" then you can do better - but
still not usefully (the commonplace fonts that aren't already the
serif/sans defaults aren't particularly attractive)

- For copyright and trademark reasons, it's possible to make a
typeface called "Swiss" but not one called "Helvetica" - even though
"Swiss" might be an indistinguishable copy of it. So real-world
computer desktops and printers already understand how to map these
various names around (there are embedded lists of close synonyms),
because that's a significant part of making any sort of installable
font system work.

- There are "font metrics", describing a typeface as hard numbers in
terms of its quantified appearance. "Similar" fonts can now be
identifed automatically. No-one outside the ivory towers of Gutenberg
really understands this.

Matt Clara

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, charles cashion quothed:

Sure. Your expectations aren't particularly discriminating.

If you're not going to be helpful, why not just stay out of it?

dorayme

Matt Clara said:
If you're not going to be helpful, why not just stay out of it?

Ah, you see, Matt, it is like this: because this is usenet and
free and you got a really good and informative reply by Andy
Dingley, there needs to be a balance. You need to read
Aristotle's doctrine about the mean, the appropriate balance for
everything. Boji keeps a watchful eye on these things and
responds accordingly. If you are not getting help, he will give
astounding help, with incredible clarity, if you are getting too
much help, he will try to temper it. He is very very good.
Appreciate him before his coming ... er meeting ... with Officer
Bud White.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Matt Clara quothed:
If you're not going to be helpful, why not just stay out of it?

You didn't find that helpful? Perhaps you didn't think enough.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias
With neither quill nor qualm, Matt Clara quothed:

You didn't find that helpful? Perhaps you didn't think enough.

I mean clearly enough.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

It was meant to be helpful.

If I were you, I'd delete all these dumb messages.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

If I were you, I'd delete all these dumb messages.

The reason for this is that all except the last (hopefully) contain an
invalid reply address.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

The reason for this is that all except the last (hopefully) contain an
invalid reply address.

Oops, that one sucked. Hopefully this one'll do it.

dorayme

Neredbojias
With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:

Boji, time to put the cork on the bottle or hurry up and finish
and go to bed. You need to rest.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
Neredbojias

Boji, time to put the cork on the bottle or hurry up and finish
and go to bed. You need to rest.

Aw shucks. And just when I was gettin' good.

Sid Ismail

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:04:36 +1100, dorayme

: Boji, time to put the cork on the bottle or hurry up and finish
: and go to bed. You need to rest.

ROFLMAO

Sid

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Neredbojias
Aw shucks. And just when I was gettin' good.

You're just trying to pad the stats, aren't you? ;-)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jonathan N. Little quothed:
Neredbojias wrote:

Just wondering what with the different 'From' fields?

Last one: valid@http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html

How is is suppose to get one to your email form?

Originally I was just trying to get a valid potentially-spam-resistant
email "address" up there in the "reply" of the message head. I figured
it would need to be cut-and-pasted but if someone was that anxious to
reply personally, so be it. Well lo and behold, in Gravity at least,
you can just click the thing in the message and it links correctly. I
strongly suppose other news clients won't do that, but is it any worse
than "(e-mail address removed)"?

I only attached the "valid@" onto the front because (in Gravity) the
thread "from" name list attaches the email phrase to the from name
without it (-apparently if it lacks the "@".)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Mark Parnell quothed:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Neredbojias

You're just trying to pad the stats, aren't you? ;-)

Nope. That was bona fide htmlish work.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Neredbojias quothed:
With neither quill nor qualm, Mark Parnell quothed:

Nope. That was bona fide htmlish work.

This is a new beginning.