font-face support for foreign character sets...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Arby Trary, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. Arby Trary

    Arby Trary Guest

    Hello,

    I'm working on a website that is being translated into several languages.
    Before I work on a new language, I enable support for that particular
    character set in Internet Explorer. A few translators, who are working in
    foreign languages have sent me, along with their translation, the TTF font
    for their particular character set (ie Hindi, Chinese, etc), and I have
    installed those fonts in my windows system.

    My question is this - If I design a web page, say in the Hindi language,
    using the "Kruti Dev 021" font (as font-face tag in HTML), will Hindi
    readers all over the world be able to read and recogise this font? I mean,
    just because I happen to have the "Kruti Dev" font installed in my windows
    system, I can see the Hindi character set portrayed (in Dreamweaver and
    IE6), but does that mean that all Hindi readers wherever they are would have
    to have the same font support in their systems to be able to correctly
    render the web-page?

    Perhaps a more relevant question would be, where would I find out the
    "system default fonts" for for foreign character sets, so that if I got a
    web-page translated into, say, Taiwanese, that the font-style references in
    my webpages would be recognised by all Taiwanese computer users world-wide?
    Or how about this: for people in Taiwan using Windows / Internet Explorer
    platforms, what is the DEFAULT font support installed by windows in their
    systems in order for them to read Taiwanese characters? If I knew the
    Default system fonts for all of these languages, then I would have a basis
    to work from.

    "If you're not confused at this point, it means you're not comprehending the
    situation..." !!

    thanks for any pointers...

    Arby

    Arby Trary, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Arby Trary

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Arby Trary" <> wrote:

    >I'm working on a website that is being translated into several languages.
    >Before I work on a new language, I enable support for that particular
    >character set in Internet Explorer. A few translators, who are working in
    >foreign languages have sent me, along with their translation, the TTF font
    >for their particular character set (ie Hindi, Chinese, etc), and I have
    >installed those fonts in my windows system.

    The most important thing you need to do is understand how fonts are
    totally irrelevant and that it's the character encoding that you need
    to ensure is correct. Configure the server to send out correct
    character encoding information and you'll be most of the way there.

    >My question is this - If I design a web page, say in the Hindi language,
    >using the "Kruti Dev 021" font (as font-face tag in HTML),

    There is no font-face tag in HTML. Do you mean <font face=""> ? which
    you really shouldn't be using, or do you mean the CSS font-family
    property? In either case the page should work when no font is
    specified, then you can suggest one or more fonts that give the
    particular aesthetic effect you're after.

    > will Hindi
    >readers all over the world be able to read and recogise this font?

    They will surely have one or more fonts available that cover the
    character encoding(s) that Hindi uses.

    > I mean,
    >just because I happen to have the "Kruti Dev" font installed in my windows
    >system, I can see the Hindi character set portrayed (in Dreamweaver and
    >IE6), but does that mean that all Hindi readers wherever they are would have
    >to have the same font support in their systems to be able to correctly
    >render the web-page?

    No. Just like you don't need Verdana installed to read text in the
    latin alphabet where the author has suggested that Verdana be used.
    The correct characters will still be displayed just not in Verdana.

    >Perhaps a more relevant question would be, where would I find out the
    >"system default fonts" for for foreign character sets, so that if I got a
    >web-page translated into, say, Taiwanese, that the font-style references in
    >my webpages would be recognised by all Taiwanese computer users world-wide?
    >Or how about this: for people in Taiwan using Windows / Internet Explorer
    >platforms, what is the DEFAULT font support installed by windows in their
    >systems in order for them to read Taiwanese characters? If I knew the
    >Default system fonts for all of these languages, then I would have a basis
    >to work from.

    If you're already working with translators who know the language and
    regions in question they might be able to give you a list of four or
    five typical fonts that are widely installed. Then you can choose
    which ones you like the look of. The problem being that if you have no
    experience with the alphabets in question you have no way to tell
    which fonts meet your particular design needs (e.g. does a particular
    font look 'modern and stylish' for readers of that alphabet?)

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Arby Trary

    Arby Trary Guest

    Thanks Steve.

    I guess the font face stylings (whether css or tags) will not affect that
    actual "text" that appears, and the (hindi-speaking) person's browser will
    automatically reset to default font if my chosen style is not one of their
    system fonts. Just that the Hindi (and I assmue other) char set's have
    strange representation in code view (example: &szlig;eq&gt;s viuh ft+anxh
    esa ftu phtksa dh vko';drk gS] mUgsa Lohdkj djuk gksxkA ;fn eq&gt;s 'kkafr
    pkfg,] rks ;g Lohdkj djuk gksxkA eq&gt;s vius vki ls fcYdqy lkQ 'kCnksa esa
    ;g dguk gksxk]&szlig;gk&iexcl;] eSa 'kkafr dh I;kl egslwl dj ldrk
    gw&iexcl;A&THORN;) etc.

    Makes me feel like my hovercraft is full of eels.
    (if you know what I mean...)

    Arby

    Arby Trary, Jan 31, 2005
  4. "Arby Trary" <> wrote:

    > Thanks Steve.

    Huh? Please learn how to work with the Usenet community. Hints:
    Also please check the spelling of your name, it looks a bit odd.

    > I guess the font face stylings (whether css or tags) will not affect
    > that actual "text" that appears, and the (hindi-speaking) person's
    > browser will automatically reset to default font if my chosen style is
    > not one of their system fonts. Just that the Hindi (and I assmue
    > other) char set's have strange representation in code view (example:
    > &szlig;eq&gt;s viuh ft+anxh esa ftu phtksa dh vko';drk gS] mUgsa Lohdkj
    > djuk gksxkA ;fn eq&gt;s 'kkafr pkfg,] rks ;g Lohdkj djuk gksxkA eq&gt;s
    > vius vki ls fcYdqy lkQ 'kCnksa esa ;g dguk gksxk]&szlig;gk&iexcl;] eSa
    > 'kkafr dh I;kl egslwl dj ldrk gw&iexcl;A&THORN;) etc.

    Such babbling might be entertaining at times, but if you really want some
    help, start with posting a URL.

    The odds are that you haven't understood the fundamental concept of
    character encoding. The URL would more or less make this certain, and then
    we might know where to start from.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 31, 2005
  5. Arby Trary

    Arby Trary Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > "Arby Trary" <> wrote:

    > Huh? Please learn how to work with the Usenet community. Hints:
    > http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
    > Also please check the spelling of your name, it looks a bit odd.

    > Such babbling might be entertaining at times, but if you really want some
    > help, start with posting a URL.

    Obviously Greek to you, Roman to me. Steve gave me an intelligent answer,
    which is rare to find amongst all the Hot Air released in the auspices of
    "helpful" feedback. I simply quoted some of the difficult-to-comprehend
    encoding associated with Hindi characters. If I broke one of your
    "church-lady" rulings as to Usenet Etiquette, perhaps you need to adjust the
    two-by-four lodged in your descending colon.

    And if "correcting" peoples "screen-names" is another favorite hobby,
    perhaps YOUR concept of "entertainment" needs a little re-thinking, no? A
    little too much time on your hands?

    Arby Trary, Jan 31, 2005
  6. "Arby Trary" <> wrote:

    >> Such babbling might be entertaining at times, but if you really want
    >> some help, start with posting a URL.

    > Obviously Greek to you, Roman to me.

    You need to write URLs in Roman (Latin) characters, you know, these days.
    Sad, but true.

    > Steve gave me an intelligent answer,

    Probably, but your response showed no sign of understanding any of it.

    Thanks for playing. Please do not correct your forged From field until you
    have a clue. Thank you in advance.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 31, 2005
  7. Arby Trary

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Arby Trary" <> wrote:

    >Just that the Hindi (and I assmue other) char set's have
    >strange representation in code view

    No, they should appear as Hindi if you have entered them as Hindi and
    if your editor is capable of displaying Hindi.

    > (example: &szlig;

    &szlig; is the sz ligature. I'm fairly certain that no such character
    is used in Hindi. So you're probably doing something wrong.

    Post a URL.

    Steve Pugh, Jan 31, 2005